Hockey Randomness

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:46 am

It's Kansas City Scouts time.

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:48 am

Mackenzie Blackwood is 8-0-2 against Philly.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:01 pm

Put him in the HOF

mikey

Hockey Randomness

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:06 pm

His mask says "mask" on the back of it, poking fun at NJ's horrible third jersey...

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:31 pm

His mask says "mask" on the back of it, poking fun at NJ's horrible third jersey...
I really like how NJ has embraced the meme. They also sold a "hat" hat and proceeds went to their youth foundation.

DigitalGypsy66

Hockey Randomness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:56 pm

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:59 pm

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:01 pm

If I'm Ronny Hextall, I'm calling him immediately and offering Matheson for Elias Petterson, because you know that old fart would gladly take it since Petterson is underperforming.

RonnieFranchise

Hockey Randomness

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:03 pm

I never like to see a team relocate but the Coyotes should probably relocate to Quebec.
Hard pass. Huge taxes, small city, much higher language barrier than Montreal.... it's not gonna happen.

Houston lost their AHL team to freaking Des Moines. Maybe it will be a curiosity but knowing as many people there as I do who look at me weird when I talk hockey with other northerners... I'm not seeing it. They do have the arena, though.

My $ would be on suburban GTA.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:33 pm

If I'm Ronny Hextall, I'm calling him immediately and offering Matheson for Elias Petterson, because you know that old fart would gladly take it since Petterson is underperforming.
Nah he wants to trade away Sutter for the like eighth time.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:08 pm

I never like to see a team relocate but the Coyotes should probably relocate to Quebec.
Hard pass. Huge taxes, small city, much higher language barrier than Montreal.... it's not gonna happen.

Houston lost their AHL team to freaking Des Moines. Maybe it will be a curiosity but knowing as many people there as I do who look at me weird when I talk hockey with other northerners... I'm not seeing it. They do have the arena, though.

My $ would be on suburban GTA.
Houston had good attendance for AHL standards. The Aeros owner operates the old area and was a dick bag to the Rockets and their owner. Rockets owner got lead spot on the new arena, the city sold the old arena to Joel Osteen and his cult, and the Rockets owner proceeded to return the dick baggery. Aeros got sold go the Wild, original three year lease expired, and the Rockets owner increased rent demand by 500% so the Wild **** the team off to Iowa, where everything is still like it was in 1996. I think an NHL team could work there with the right ownership group. Teams survive on gate receipts and Houston is big enough to get 20,000 asses in seats per night.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:14 pm

My money is on Bettman wanting another shot at Atlanta.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:44 pm

The Canucks are morons.

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:41 pm

I think an NHL team could work there with the right ownership group. Teams survive on gate receipts and Houston is big enough to get 20,000 asses in seats per night.
ATL is bigger than Houston but it didn't work here, mostly due to shitty ownership. I'd be curious if Houston ends up with a similar problem as Atlanta. basically Atlanta Metro is a city of transplants. lots of North Easterners, Canadians, some Midwesterners, lots of Michiganders. those people not only don't give up their team but they raise their kids to root for their hometown team too. couple that with expansion rules that made all 4 of those teams awful for a long time and it's a recipe for disaster. if you never win, no one cares. :scared:

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:42 pm

I'll just re-post this part here:
basically Atlanta Metro is a city of transplants. lots of North Easterners, Canadians, some Midwesterners, lots of Michiganders. those people not only don't give up their team but they raise their kids to root for their hometown team too. couple that with expansion rules that made all 4 of those teams awful for a long time and it's a recipe for disaster. if you never win, no one cares. :scared:

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:54 pm

basically Atlanta Metro is a city of transplants. lots of North Easterners, Canadians, some Midwesterners, lots of Michiganders. those people not only don't give up their team but they raise their kids to root for their hometown team too. couple that with expansion rules that made all 4 of those teams awful for a long time and it's a recipe for disaster. if you never win, no one cares. :scared:
How are the Falcons and Hawks doing it? LA and Vegas are certainly cities of transplant as well and yet they have managed to make it work. I was always under the impression that the Thrashers failed due to ownership, with the AOL Time Warner merger being the ultimate catalyst to their demise. Is that not the case? Legitimately asking all of this, by the way, since clearly you're more knowledgable than me.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:59 pm

The whole "looking for a GM he can mentor" thing sounds familiar.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Getting downvoted on r/Hockey for calling them idiots. lol, okay, talk to me in a year.

faftorial

Hockey Randomness

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:04 pm

I think an NHL team could work there with the right ownership group. Teams survive on gate receipts and Houston is big enough to get 20,000 asses in seats per night.
ATL is bigger than Houston but it didn't work here, mostly due to shitty ownership. I'd be curious if Houston ends up with a similar problem as Atlanta. basically Atlanta Metro is a city of transplants. lots of North Easterners, Canadians, some Midwesterners, lots of Michiganders. those people not only don't give up their team but they raise their kids to root for their hometown team too. couple that with expansion rules that made all 4 of those teams awful for a long time and it's a recipe for disaster. if you never win, no one cares. :scared:
Yep, when I lived there my son always had Sid and Geno t-shirts.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:19 pm

How are the Falcons and Hawks doing it? LA and Vegas are certainly cities of transplant as well and yet they have managed to make it work. I was always under the impression that the Thrashers failed due to ownership, with the AOL Time Warner merger being the ultimate catalyst to their demise. Is that not the case? Legitimately asking all of this, by the way, since clearly you're more knowledgable than me.

I would assume basketball and football are more popular there on a base level. Plus, they've had years to grow their fan bases and have had competing teams. Atlanta has had 2 attempts at hockey. Both failed. I highly doubt they get a 3rd shot.

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:21 pm

football is a different animal and most Falcons fans are native Atlantans. I went to Falcons v Patriots one year, a year where the Falcons were decent and the stadium was about 50/50 Falcons/Pats fans. no one really cares about the Hawks but their owners have dreamed of owning them since they were kids. the sport that is most popular in Atlanta? college football. that sport is king in the South. I know Canadians that are big UGA fans simply because they've been good for awhile and are fun to watch. some of my older Canadian friends become college football fans because that's where they send their kids to college.
I used to go to Thrashers v Sabres/Rangers/Bruins games in Atlanta and the place was mostly fans for the visiting team. hell, same with the Pens. the Thrashers never did a damn thing for the local hockey community and that really hurt the sport of hockey in Atlanta.

shafnutz05

Hockey Randomness

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Apparently the Coyotes were able to borrow money from Uncle Gary

faftorial

Hockey Randomness

Postby faftorial » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:54 pm

I rarely read ESPN.com but was reading something about Tocchet being a likely hire for head coach of the Flyers and halfway through I hit the ESPN+ paywall. Lame.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:54 am

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:45 am

Don’t tell skullman.