Politics And Current Events

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:04 am

I'm curious what scientific research Alex Jones is citing when he says the mRNA vaccine builds "plaque in the brain" and we'll all be dead in 10 years
Good news is I won't be around to hear the told you so, so I win either way.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:04 am

Just heard on the news the killer of the doctor and his family was a former NFL player treated by the doctor. He killed himself last night as well. Honestly, probably CTE related.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 am

Just heard on the news the killer of the doctor and his family was a former NFL player treated by the doctor. He killed himself last night as well. Honestly, probably CTE related.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see it anywhere else, but heard it on KDKA radio.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:43 am

Yeah, I heard that here locally but wasn't sure it was public.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:47 am

So it might be time for the government to step in with the NFL/professional sports and how CTE or potential of CTE is handled.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:49 am

What a monster.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:58 am

So it might be time for the government to step in with the NFL/professional sports and how CTE or potential of CTE is handled.
It’s pretty strange how head trauma is just part of the gig in pro sports, and there’s no other industry that would get away with that, besides stunt double or circus performer or something.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:05 am

Sometimes firefighters get burnt, sometimes the Deadliest Catch people get eaten by a manatee or whatever...at this point, if it wasn't before, it's pretty obvious you're putting yourself in harm's way when you pursue these careers...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:07 am

Sometimes firefighters get burnt, sometimes the Deadliest Catch people get eaten by a manatee or whatever...at this point, if it wasn't before, it's pretty obvious you're putting yourself in harm's way when you pursue these careers...
forces of nature vs a co-worker breaking company policy and hitting you in the head. i don't have a point here. it's just extra weird.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am

I get that - but there's been instances of people who CTE taking those risks in football, having their lives altered post-career to impact others pretty substantially.

I think players taking the risk is fine, but something needs to be done on how to handle that risk post-career, and it comes with the NFL/NHL/WWE whatever pro-sport you want to name, taking the blame and admitting CTE is part of the deal.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:24 am

I get that - but there's been instances of people who CTE taking those risks in football, having their lives altered post-career to impact others pretty substantially.

I think players taking the risk is fine, but something needs to be done on how to handle that risk post-career, and it comes with the NFL/NHL/WWE whatever pro-sport you want to name, taking the blame and admitting CTE is part of the deal.
I think the NFL, NHL, etc have now acknowledged that CTE is a real possiblity by playing their sports, have tried to adjust their games to make it "safer" and are spending money and trying to find ways to help people post career.

The issues are 1) CTE is a newer phenominon and science is still trying to figure out how to deal with it and 2) there are YEARS, pretty much any player prior to the last 10 years, where this wasn't handled by the leagues for numerous reasons, so it will definitely take time to "catch up" if you will.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 am

From yesterday's discussion and from a newly released poll:

A new Reuters-Ipsos poll finds that 81 percent of Republicans have a favorable impression of Trump. Wait. It gets worse: 60 percent say the 2020 election was stolen from him, only 28 percent say he is even partly to blame for the Capitol insurrection, and 55 percent say that the Capitol attack “was led by violent left-wing protestors trying to make Trump look bad.”
Still the party of Trump.

https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/m ... 202021.pdf

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:28 am

the leagues need to do a better job of supporting ex-players; that seems obvious

but I'm also a big supporter of "personal choice". if I had the physical ability, I would have no problem agreeing to play in the NFL/NHL. I might decide to retire early as some players have done but the fear/danger of possible debilitating brain disease won't stop me. I love sports that much

I don't have kids currently but if I did and they wanted to play football or hockey, I wouldn't stop them either. Hell, I might inappropriately encourage them. Though that might change when I actually have kids and my emotions on protecting them change

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:35 am

Second week in a row that "kids" and "inappropriately" have had the Venn diagram meet at you... :slug:

But yeah, the leagues can do a better job of that once they're clear of any pending lawsuits I presume...but they can't admit guilt and not lose a trillion dollars or whatever to a few individuals...I'm not sure if anything is still pending or not, but I imagine they have to clear that plate before they can go anywhere...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:42 am

also keep in mind that crazy people can exist without CTE

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/man-accuse ... -1.5378915

tl;dr - Inmate A is in jail for strangling his girlfriend. Inmate B is in jail for strangling a bunch of people in the 70s and 80s. Inmate A just strangled inmate B

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:29 pm

tl;dr - Inmate A is in jail for strangling his girlfriend. Inmate B is in jail for strangling a bunch of people in the 70s and 80s. Inmate A just strangled inmate B
I don't believe anyone is doubting that. I was more or less stating that there's been enough CTE related issues here that it's time for someone to say "OK, that's great you're changing your helmets and launching commercials, but maybe we need to change some things around even more."

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:54 pm

And this was just yesterday...wtf?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ree-murder
I'm going to go with garden variety toxic masculinity on this one, but could be proven wrong.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:27 pm

Got it from a Czech newspaper!

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:04 pm

I don't believe anyone is doubting that. I was more or less stating that there's been enough CTE related issues here that it's time for someone to say "OK, that's great you're changing your helmets and launching commercials, but maybe we need to change some things around even more."
I guess the question is what more can they do at the moment.

They are trying to take blatant shots to the head in the games and fining/suspending players that do take a shot to someones head. The college game is ejecting players.

They seem to be shedding more light on the effects of CTE to keep the players informed, and it seems the leagues are working with scientists to better understand CTE.

And like mikey said, they are financially and professionally help past players that may be suffering from CTE, but you also have to be extremely careful as they are trying to fix the past with the litigations, etc out there.

It's going to be a long process that is not going to have a magical fix.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Biden announce his gun stuff today pretty much cements me thinking he's going to lose 2024 if Trump sticks around.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:57 pm

Biden announce his gun stuff today pretty much cements me thinking he's going to lose 2024 if Trump sticks around.
What is he proposing? I heard something about gun kits not having serial numbers and not requiring a background check to purchase.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm

if you're gonna go after gun policy, do it 3 and a half years before the election. let people see that there was no slippery slope and that life simply continues to be better with a non-maniac at the helm.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 pm

There isn't a lot of teeth to what he is doing. If I had to pick one, encouraging red flag legislation is probably the worst.