Movie Thread

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:48 pm

Zilla vs Kong was awesome in the theater. That movie is absolutely ridiculous and it's unfortunate all the humans except coach taylor and ricky baker didn't die. Fighting scenes were so cool, almost looked like a rubber suit for some that. I loved it.
kong being at his house with the ax was rad, wish it was more of that.
Yeah, the axe thing was cool as hell. Loved how Godzilla charged it at the end.

Also, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that Godzilla whooped Kong’s **** ass because he’s the alpha, always and forever.
yes he did. The detail on Godzilla was unreal. I kept thinking to myself how is there sunlight in the hollow earth place and then I had to tell my brain to shut up, kong is lounging on his throne, it doesn't matter.
What did you think of metal Godzilla? I thought it was goofy. I think they could have stuck to the plot where they team up in the end to defeat a common enemy with something else, personally.
for how dumb the storyline in the movie was, I absolutely loved it and I couldn't stop laughing when he gained self consciousness and turned on the guy. When they were on hollow earth, I could have sworn we saw a little godzuki

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:52 pm

Zilla vs Kong was awesome in the theater. That movie is absolutely ridiculous and it's unfortunate all the humans except coach taylor and ricky baker didn't die. Fighting scenes were so cool, almost looked like a rubber suit for some that. I loved it.
kong being at his house with the ax was rad, wish it was more of that.

Also, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that Godzilla whooped Kong’s **** ass because he’s the alpha, always and forever.
yes he did. The detail on Godzilla was unreal. I kept thinking to myself how is there sunlight in the hollow earth place and then I had to tell my brain to shut up, kong is lounging on his throne, it doesn't matter.
What did you think of metal Godzilla? I thought it was goofy. I think they could have stuck to the plot where they team up in the end to defeat a common enemy with something else, personally.
for how dumb the storyline in the movie was, I absolutely loved it and I couldn't stop laughing when he gained self consciousness and turned on the guy. When they were on hollow earth, I could have sworn we saw a little godzuki
:lol: That exact moment is when i said to myself “did they just make me think to myself ‘this is ridiculous’ in a movie about a giant laser beam shooting lizard and a 350’ tall gorilla?!”

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:54 pm

:lol: That exact moment is when i said to myself “did they just make me think to myself ‘this is ridiculous’ in a movie about a giant laser beam shooting lizard and a 350’ tall gorilla?!”
Hahahaha, I think I'll be watching the end fight again at home tonight, I bet that looks awesome in dolby vision/HDR. The theater to ourselves experience was the real deal, family had a blast with this

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:55 pm

Can confirm that it looked glorious in Dolby Vision.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:11 pm

It was a gorgeous movie to see on the big screen. The plot made less than zero sense, and what purpose did MBB's group serve? You could cut them totally out of the movie and it wouldn't change anything, likewise with Lance Reddick and Kyle Chandler.

Also. Good lord the human death was immense. The Navy hasn't faced a loss like that since Pearl Harbor.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:23 pm

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone

Name a better acting performance. I **** dare you

I know I hold Tombstone in higher regard than most but still. It’s the perfect character

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Godzilla vs. Kong was enjoyable. Looked fantastic in 4k Dolby Vision.
Robot Godzilla, though? That entire storyline was unnecessary.
Was hoping you were joking. You were not.

Still a good movie. Fun to watch. I got everything I wanted out of it.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 pm

I know I hold Tombstone in higher regard than most but still. It’s the perfect character
Ledger's Joker is **** close.

But man, yeah. It's a solid choice. Pacino in Godfather II as well.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:28 pm

I watched Joker this week, every bit as good as advertised. Very dark, heavy, very Mean Streets/Taxi Driver influenced.

Joaquin Phoenix was excellent. Scary really.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:45 pm

Ledger's Joker is **** close.

But man, yeah. It's a solid choice. Pacino in Godfather II as well.
Man I love the Pacino performances in The Godfather’s

It’s so weird how post Scarface he completely changed his persona as an actor. I guess it was the actual coke, not just the prop stuff

He was really good in Dog Day Afternoon too. Not that I think he was a bad actor post Scarface (just watched Heat again tonight and I appreciated his performance more than I had before), just not as good

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:46 pm

Oh and Ledger in Dark Knight is great too. As is Christophe Waltz in Basterds and Django

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:59 pm

Was hoping you were joking. You were not.

Still a good movie. Fun to watch. I got everything I wanted out of it.
Family pooled together and rented the theater. $38 per family. What a great experience. The movie was big pop-corn and knew that’s what it was. The final plot line though, IMO, felt a bit shoe horned in. Still super cool looking big ass monster fights.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:00 am

I stand corrected Wyatt, you are an oak.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:30 am

Frederic **** Chaupin

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:25 am

Last edited by eddy on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:26 am

Watched it again last night on TV and yep, the 4k was spectacular. Seeing it earlier in the theater really made me appreciate the big screen experience. Followed that up last night with Godzilla and invasion of the astro monster and I now have no problem with a ridiculous storyline in any monster movie. It was awesome.
Last edited by eddy on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:44 am

I have Godzilla vs. Mothra somewhere on VHS. I remember loving that one when I was a kid.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:28 pm

I can probably think of a couple hundred off the top of my head.

(Edited to remove an unnecessarily incendiary insult to the movie's lack of quality)

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Me too, and I haven't even seen Tombstone.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:46 pm

I haven't even seen Tombstone.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:42 pm

I watched Joker this week, every bit as good as advertised. Very dark, heavy, very Mean Streets/Taxi Driver influenced.

Joaquin Phoenix was excellent. Scary really.
I also saw it after everyone else, and really liked it. Todd Phillips is sort of underrated at creating a specific atmosphere.

Even Old School and The Hangover have a little extra chili pepper with the cinematography.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:04 pm

I rewatched Unforgiven for the first time since I saw it in the theater. So great. So many great performances.

I had no idea that the same writer also wrote Blade Runner and 12 Monkeys.

I also miss Gene Hackman - he’s still alive, but retired in 2004 from acting. He’s 91; Clint will turn 91 later this year. Man.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:09 pm

I rewatched Unforgiven for the first time since I saw it in the theater. So great. So many great performances.

I had no idea that the same writer also wrote Blade Runner and 12 Monkeys.

I also miss Gene Hackman - he’s still alive, but retired in 2004 from acting. He’s 91; Clint will turn 91 later this year. Man.
Definitely one of clint’s best roles

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:39 pm

it's a really cool movie. probably the best genre-subverting film. it definitely doesn't get enough praise

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:04 am

That's the only Beat Picture I've seen in a theater. I was only 11 when it came out and even then I knew how good it was.