NFL

Dickie Dunn

NFL

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:47 pm

Why don't people want this? The NFL season always seems so short and preseason is a waste of time.
I like even numbers.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:48 pm

I'll give them credit - their method for determining that 17th game is actually pretty neat.

NTP66

NFL

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:48 pm

Why don't people want this? The NFL season always seems so short and preseason is a waste of time.
I like even numbers.

Stoosh

NFL

Postby Stoosh » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:49 pm

I didn’t realize James Conner is a FA. Is he gonna be out of the league already? He looked unskillful
I think his injury history over the last couple of years prompted their decision to move on. He missed three games last year and six games in 2019.

When healthy, I think he could still be productive in a RB-by-committee approach. Between carries & receptions, he averaged 15-16 touches and 70 yards/game in the games he played the last two years. I don't know how much of his decrease in production is attributable to him or the deteriorating o-line play.

The operative words there, though, are "when healthy". I'm a huge fan of the guy, but I do wonder if his body is starting to break down on him. He carried the ball 20+ times a game during his last two full years at Pitt, ran a pretty uncompromising physical style, and those two years bookended the cancer diagnosis.

I think he may still latch on late with someone looking for RB depth. That said, RB has become one of the most disposable positions in the league and it wouldn't surprise me a lot of he only sticks around another 1-2 more years.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:53 pm

This Watson story is just so freakin' bizarre. It's like a Nissan GT-R that goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, except it's creeper. We've gone from loveable "Come on, now" guy putting his eyeball back in place to complete a TD pass, to goddamn Harvey Weinstein. And tbh the timing is still suspect to me.
Yeah, Watson always seemed like one of the "good guys" whether it was his time at Clemson or in the NFL.

But at some point, man, dude must really enjoy happy ending massage parlors.
That's another part of it that I just don't get. You're an elite world-class athlete, one of the top - what - half dozen people in the world that do your job, and you are richly compensated for that talent. But you have close to 2 dozen different in-home massage therapists over a couple year period that you just presume will be down with doling out hanjos? Like, you don't have a guy whose primary job is securing people for that role ahead of time? I mean, I'm not really conversant with the mindset of a sexual predator, so maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time occupying this headspace. But the whole construct just.............. it just doesn't make any sense.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:54 pm

Wait wait wait................................ James Conner had cancer?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:57 pm

This Watson story is just so freakin' bizarre. It's like a Nissan GT-R that goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, except it's creeper. We've gone from loveable "Come on, now" guy putting his eyeball back in place to complete a TD pass, to goddamn Harvey Weinstein. And tbh the timing is still suspect to me.
Yeah, Watson always seemed like one of the "good guys" whether it was his time at Clemson or in the NFL.

That's another part of it that I just don't get. You're an elite world-class athlete, one of the top - what - half dozen people in the world that do your job, and you are richly compensated for that talent. But you have close to 2 dozen different in-home massage therapists over a couple year period that you just presume will be down with doling out hanjos? Like, you don't have a guy whose primary job is securing people for that role ahead of time? I mean, I'm not really conversant with the mindset of a sexual predator, so maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time occupying this headspace. But the whole construct just.............. it just doesn't make any sense.
isnt that the overall thesis of all of these situations?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

NFL

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:57 pm

james conner is/was the worst starting RB in the NFL

NAN

NFL

Postby NAN » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Yeah, in my mind, the dude is rich, famous, and a good looking dude, he should be able to pull willing good looking ass at anytime. No need to go this route you would think (if allegations are true).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:59 pm

they officially announced the 17 game season. are they moving the season up a week (week 1 before labor day) or back a week?

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:04 pm

I mean, there's obviously an element to it that does it for him...

Same reason why some dudes go out and try to make chicks unconscious,.same reason why some dudes go out and force themselves on others, same reason why some dudes go out there and molest kids...it's not really about what you find normal or sexy or whatever or what they have access to...

All of those things are extremely unappealing to me...but apparently some awful guys out there can get one going when they're physically assaulting someone else...

Orlando Penguin

NFL

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:04 pm

so PIT-SEA next year? Cool
Steelers will be supplying the officials for that game.

tifosi77

NFL

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:06 pm

they officially announced the 17 game season. are they moving the season up a week (week 1 before labor day) or back a week?
It seems like the season would start a week earlier, since they're eliminating a presesason game to pick up a Week 18. But I don't know for sure.

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:09 pm

so PIT-SEA next year? Cool
Steelers will be supplying the officials for that game.
Cool. Maybe Ben will supply the Lombardi from XL for them to take a look at too

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm

It seems like the season would start a week earlier, since they're eliminating a presesason game to pick up a Week 18. But I don't know for sure.
will be weird to have real games starting in August

faftorial

NFL

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm

:thumb:

dodint

NFL

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Yeah, in my mind, the dude is rich, famous, and a good looking dude, he should be able to pull willing good looking ass at anytime. No need to go this route you would think (if allegations are true).
Sex work should be legal and regulated. A guy like that is rich, famous, good looking. Doesn't want the headache of dealing with every woman that thinks she just hit the economic and genetic jackpot. Sometimes a transactional approach works for both sides. He allegedly tried to get that in a gray market and is now in legal trouble.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:24 pm

1. There was a beautiful symmetry to the NFL schedule previously
2. the schedule had been 16 games for 40 something years. There was no competition-al reason to change the number of games (ie if they added more franchises, it would make sense to increase the number of games); it's purely out of greed
3. single season records mean much less now
4. increased chances for player injuries
5. dilution of the product. More doesn't mean better. Football becomes less special the more we have it
6. 17 games is a stupid odd number and it's gonna change to 18 within the next decade which means even more dilution

I know people might disagree with me and that's fine; these are the reasons why I don't like it. of course I'm still gonna watch but it's annoying. Most fans, at least on this twitter poll agree, with me too:

I hate the "IF YOU DONT WANT MORE GAMES THEN YOU HATE FOOTBALL" retort. I love cake but if I had it every day I would be sick of it

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:24 pm

will be weird to have real games starting in August
the season kicked off on September 10 last year

faftorial

NFL

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Let's just go back to 12 game seasons then.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:26 pm

also keep in mind I'm generally against expanding of seasons/playoffs (again unless more teams are added to the league). Hate how baseball is throwing the idea of 8 playoff teams per league. NHL and NBA already **** up by allowing more than half of the teams into the playoffs

willeyeam

NFL

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:26 pm

17 is such a not big deal of a change though. I get the records thing, but I didn't care much about them before and I don't now. They were all meaningless anyway just with the way the game's changed. This isn't baseball going from 162 to 100 or something. 1 game. Big whoop. Jeff Fisher is never gonna come back now that he can't go 8-8

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

NFL

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:29 pm

Let's just go back to 12 game seasons then.
wHy NoT hAvE a TrIlLiOn GaMeS

mikey

NFL

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:29 pm

Season starts 9/9. Superb owl 2/13...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

NFL

Postby meow » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:32 pm

I have absolutely no care about an additional game. It is the textbook definition of “whatever”

I also DGAF about the records arguments. All those girl legged dudes from the 50s can take their records and shove them.