Job and General Employment Thread

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Coworker/good friend just put in his two weeks today. He, another coworker and I IM each other quite often about our distaste for the company, so it isn’t surprising.

Problem is they won’t backfill the position and his work will just be given to me and the other guy, the other two remaining engineers.

I like the work I do and the people I work with, but it may be time to polish the resume. No promotion to anybody in our group in the 9 years I’ve been there. And the company prides itself as a Fortune 500 company that values their most valuable resource, their employees. Bullshit

That is BS.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 am

Time to polish that resume roberto

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:41 am

I’m working outside on my patio today. This is good for my soul

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Coworker/good friend just put in his two weeks today. He, another coworker and I IM each other quite often about our distaste for the company, so it isn’t surprising.

Problem is they won’t backfill the position and his work will just be given to me and the other guy, the other two remaining engineers.

I like the work I do and the people I work with, but it may be time to polish the resume. No promotion to anybody in our group in the 9 years I’ve been there. And the company prides itself as a Fortune 500 company that values their most valuable resource, their employees. Bullshit
Living with that sentiment right now. We hear the "we truly care about our employees mental health etc." Well Susan, how about you hire another person because I'm over-allocated by 120%.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:21 pm

Living with that sentiment right now. We hear the "we truly care about our employees mental health etc." Well Susan, how about you hire another person because I'm over-allocated by 120%.
That or take the salary you lost and split it up between the remaining engineers. Nope, more money in the executives' pockets

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm

Today is the one year anniversary of my last day in the office before COVID. What a wonderful two weeks away from the office this year has been.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:44 am

Sounds like the corporate BS that my last employer loved to spew. It too was a Fortune 500 company that was ranked quite high but has fallen down the list quite a bit over the last few years. "We're here for you", "we support mental health", "please talk to any management member if you are feeling stressed" was all common corporate fluff that they'd push, yet never rarely backfilled a position, and wondered by people were getting stressed out and/or falling behind in their work. It was like walking on eggshells in the last year or so wondering when "that day" would come. My department was downsided by 3/4 over my last two years and was to the point where I was doing 60+ hrs a week along with going in a day on the weekend to catch up on things.

Two days ago was the 4th anniversary of what I now refer to as #packyourshit day. They loved hashtags in presentations (yeah, which was weird since the concept of a hashtag is to link a discussion and not just be cute) and Commie's trade day hashtag seemed quite appropriate for the moment. I don't miss that place at all and have been quite vocal about it on FB with the people that I used to work with. A bunch of people from there that I'm FB friends with seem to have this mentality about protecting The Brand and to this day seem protective about people badmouthing the company, despite said company closing down their offices and no longer having any connection the area.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:48 am

Today is the one year anniversary of my last day in the office before COVID. What a wonderful two weeks away from the office this year has been.
I've been in the office every day this week. :lol:

We usually do a 50/50 split and my rotation this week would have been M/W/F, but I needed to be here to meet up with a user who had laptop issues on Tuesday and stopped in last night for a meeting about our database upgrade.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:57 am

So three weeks after a phone interview, my company appears to now be setting up internal interviews, and I made the list. Get an email this morning that I'll need to interview with overseas people in the middle of the night at some point. Blech, but whatever.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:18 am

Source of the post I was doing 60+ hrs a week along with going in a day on the weekend to catch up on things.
I've drawn a line in the sand after busting my balls back in 2013 and not getting compensated for it other than a pat on the back and an attaboy. Not my fault that you don't employ enough people to get the work done in a timely manner. I'm not going to give you any extra effort of my own personal time, because you sure as **** aren't giving me any incentive to do so.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:42 am

So I've been through 5 30 minute video interviews so far. I think things are going well, and I feel good about them and leaving it all out there. I do think I have a chance.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:00 am

Awesome.

How did your boss take it? Or did I miss that?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:06 am

Awesome.

How did your boss take it? Or did I miss that?
My "boss" took it more as an "ok" and he told me he supported the change if it's what I wanted. I left it at that. My boss's Boss, was the guy that originally hired me, and I didn't tell him. Largely because I didn't have to, only direct report above me.

He's the one I'm interested to hear more about, but my boss decided to hold my news until this week, at which point I haven't heard anything. So I'm proceeding forward and would likely just auto-accept the offer. Doesn't appear to be anything dramatic, so I'm just trying to nail what I can and move.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:07 am

Gotcha. Good luck.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:18 am

Thanks, at this point I think it was more stress I put on myself, and the feeling like what I do is pretty important, likely isn't that important, or if it is - will burn them when I'm gone. I don't know, whatever it was, quasi added to the imposter syndrome schtick.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 am

I understand that. I started my new gig on Monday and went from the guy that knew everything, but still felt like an imposter, to the guy that doesn't know anything and it's a hard adjustment. And I'm on a team of three (one lead, two worker bees) so I feel completely exposed all the time.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:42 am

Yea, I think the only thing we have to keep telling ourselves is that we landed this stuff for a reason. It was by all luck, and by definition everyone around us clearly braindead when speaking with us lol.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:46 am

That's what my wife tells me. I showed her my new salary and she said "Remember when you were a Private First Class? Yeah, you earned it." :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:49 am

Interviewing complete. Left it all out there and feel good about it. No regrets.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:07 am

Just looked at my paycheck tomorrow which includes my bonus... even with all the taxes and such taken out biggest paycheck I've ever gotten in my life by far.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:11 am

Congrats to both.

I don't actually know what my true bi-weekly paycheck is because I use allotments to send money places before it gets to me. Maybe when I finally do quit I'll strip them all down and see how big the last check is.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:28 am

I think I may need to dust off the resume soon.

Currently, I am doing very well at my job. I work in Talent Acquisition...here are the issues.

1) Out in our field offices, we require staff that are state-certified. As such, there is a finite number of people available in each geographic area. The operational side has been burning through clinical licensed staff like napalm. We have four offices in our western region; I had that region fully staffed on February 1, and there are now 18 vacancies (almost all clinical, licensed positions), and three of the managers have left or are about to be fired.

I literally have nowhere else to look for these people. I am very active with college recruitment, and literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for people at this point. It's not my fcking problem if we are constantly losing people after 3-4 months because you expect them to work 11 hours/day Monday-Thursday with almost no break, and then ask them to come in every other Friday too. ESPECIALLY when 98% of clinical staff are women, most of whom have school-age children and many of which are single moms. It's so mind-fckingly stupid and I am in this bad zone between being stressed out that we cannot find staff anymore and just not giving a sht because I'm tired of bailing out operations over and over again.

2) Related to #1, our employer reviews suck on Indeed. As you can imagine, it probably makes it much, much harder to get people to apply considering that is the #1 driver of candidate traffic today.

3) I reached out to my boss on Friday about what would be the expectation for my team coming back to the office (i.e. full-time or only part-time), and have not gotten a reply. I am anticipating that not being good news, and so I won't even have that carrot to tempt me to stay at this point.

It's a shame because I really love my co-workers and I love my team, but I am not going to stick around long enough to be blamed when they have to start shutting down practices because they don't have anyone to actually treat the patients. I have been screaming about retention for four years now.'

Thank you for letting me vent. I feel better now.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Welcome to the machine, shaf. I'm in a similar boat. I posted a few pages ago that a coworker put in his resignation. Since then, we've been airing grievances through Teams. He, another coworker and I plan to get some beers (outdoors, of course) next week, where more grievances shall be aired.

Absolutely amazing how tone deaf upper management can be in how they treat their employees

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:59 pm

@shafnutz05

PennHighlands is not the place for you. Be glad you avoided that.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm

5 years into my gig at a real company after 13 years in the minor leagues...I still don’t think LinkedIn has any actual professional value.

It’s only quality appears to be finding out about the parents of your kids classmates.