OFFICIAL GDT Game 25: Pens vs Rangers

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:51 pm

The thing about Kapanen is that he has shown a bit of another level that he can tap into...now, "another" is a relative term, of course...but right now, he's feeling it, and our resident "another level...whenever" guy in Malkin is also feeling it and they're in it together right now...so you see that blender shift late in the 2nd and you just look at these guys really playing a two-man game and seeing what they can do when they're reading off each other...they can catch passes really well, they use their body real well in space, they have a really good sense about where pucks will end up off of various touches...Kapanen has actually surprised me a little bit with his smarts, I didn't take him for much of a smarty pants, but he's impressed me in that regard...

No surprise either that Letang was piece of the action there too, if I recall correctly...he's going to get some Norris talk (again) playing like this...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:51 pm

You'll not like him again soon enough...he plays in waves, at least, he has to date...
Maybe that's why sullivan **** with him every couple games. Keep him motivated

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:00 pm

Could be. Sullivan and his new staff have a real interesting system that I'm starting to see take to fruition now...early in the year, I kept remarking how often they were going back to their D, back to their D, back to their D for everything...and then we just kind of throwing pucks away because the d-men aren't really that talented in that position...and we aren't a low cycle team...and we aren't particularly interesting near their net anymore, as the best guy in the league at it was jettisoned...

The last little bit here, I see what they're going for...it's actually exactly what I said to do with Matheson and Friedman and these guys, but instead they're really using the whole team...their hi-lo rotations, these level plays, they were all over tonight...the first two periods, the Rangers looked lost...we beat them up the ice so many times with numbers, that's why we won so many pucks...in the 3rd, they adjusted how they were layering and obviously made some hay with it...but you have guys on the back end that are good skaters, good long skaters...Matheson is a long skater, not super amazing in terms of lateral foot churn at the line, but a good long skater...Letang probably fits that bill too now that he's older...Dumo, definitely...etc. so they're not interrupting what speed these guys do have as often by having them peel off...instead, forwards are rotating back underneath, I've seen Malkin pivot to backskating more this year than maybe in his whole career, for instance...

How many times has Matheson - who has missed a third of the year - been loose with the puck coming down the left wing already...? Like, how many times have we gotten that look this year? And now try to picture Dumoulin or even Schultz doing that on the right side...or Niskanen on the right...it didn't really happen...it's shaping up to be pretty judicious utilization of the roster, questionable as it may be...so I'm interested to see where this goes...the only guy that seems to not be good at it, or maybe just not having a good season in general, is Marino...but Christ, I saw Marcus Pettersson beaver tap tonight in the offensive zone (he wasn't open, but still...) - it's very interesting to me...

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 am

I wonder if playing in a truncated league where you see the same opponents all the time is giving him stability so he can work through his progression in a more structured way.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:29 am

from January
Fleury was a headcase. Murray comes in for relief for Fleury and looks good. We get rid of Fleury and Murray becomes a headcase. Jarry comes in for relief for a Murray and looks good. We get rid of Murray and Jarry becomes a headcase

I love it
I take it back, Jarry is good
This is like when trashy chicks are like “I can’t find me a good man.” Oh yeah? Maybe cause you be trashy af. “Man. Our goaltending be trashy af.” Oh yeah? Maybe cause your team defense be trashy af.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:32 am

Jarry was trash early on, and it wasn't entirely team defense. He was playing out of position, making questionable decisions, etc. He definitely worked through that and has been on fire for a while now. We're now seeing the Jarry we expected.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:32 am

But with Murray, his oxy script ran dry so he started shooting straight H. Different story.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:37 am

Jarry was trash early on, and it wasn't entirely team defense. He was playing out of position, making questionable decisions, etc. He definitely worked through that and has been on fire for a while now. We're now seeing the Jarry we expected.
There is a snowball effect (affect? effect...) here. Team D is bad - Jarry is bad. Throw DeSmith in for 10 days to let Jarry figure it out...? Nah. That 10 days was a wake up call to the other 21 guys on the roster.

So everyone starts out bad
Then Jarry sits and the team tightens up
Jarry comes back in with a tighter team and has more confidence
Team flattens out (a good thing) and Jarry surpasses them because confidence

It’s all interwoven, but you can’t get reliable goaltending if you don’t have somewhat reliable structure around him. Doesn’t matter who is in net.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:38 am

But with Murray, his oxy script ran dry so he started shooting straight H. Different story.
IMO, his dad’s passing wrecked him. Hasn’t been the same since.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 am

His glove, his civilian-level reflexes and how easy it is to bully him out of position because he’s so weak...I dunno, seems like he just turned into a pumpkin at midnight.

But sure - his resiliency was ruined after his dad, and maybe his brain would have been able to overcome those other things if he had more inner peace.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:53 am

I agree with you 100%. anyone who's been there will tell you that you're never the same. :cry:

meow

Postby meow » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 am

It is what it is. These guys aren’t robots.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am

from January
Fleury was a headcase. Murray comes in for relief for Fleury and looks good. We get rid of Fleury and Murray becomes a headcase. Jarry comes in for relief for a Murray and looks good. We get rid of Murray and Jarry becomes a headcase

I love it
I take it back, Jarry is good
This is like when trashy chicks are like “I can’t find me a good man.” Oh yeah? Maybe cause you be trashy af. “Man. Our goaltending be trashy af.” Oh yeah? Maybe cause your team defense be trashy af.
Beautiful.