Pro Wrasslin' Thread

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:47 pm

The finish is truly amazing. Can't tell these girls have had like 1 match between them at all!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:14 pm

WCW vibes. Not the good ones.
I didn't think Shaq was terrible. He was at least competent as far as celebrities go. His powerbomb was probably better than some that I've seen over the last year. Was it a 5* or even a 4* match? Of course not, but as far as a one-off appearance AFAIK, it wasn't terrible.

That said, I kinda see where you're coming from as far as WCW vibes. Tully Blanchard back in the ring with JJ Dillon walking The Revival or whatever they're called to the ring. I think that's the first time I've seen Dillon on tv in about 20 years and that had to be Tully's first televised match in probably 25-30 years. At least they kinda kept him sheltered for most of the match. I will say that his slingshot suplex wasn't bad, especially for a 67 year old man.

But back to the WCW vibes comment. I'm a sucker for wrestling nostalgia just like anybody else. I don't mind random appearances by past talent. Bischoff showed up as part of Jericho's segment last night. It was cool to see him resurface even if it was just for a minute long appearance. JJ Dillion walking with Tully to the ring for his first tv match in decades? Ok, I get that. One off appearances are fine. As long as they don't start cycling in former stars for long term storylines, I don't mind. Yes, Big Show Paul Wight, I'm looking your way. I have a feeling he's gonna be more than a commentator after a few months. Whoever shows up on the Sunday PPV (supposedly there's a "hall of fame wrestler" signing a contract that night), feel free to add yourself to that list too.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:27 pm

Don't forget about Sting and Arn Anderson.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Arn doesn't appear to be getting in the ring, so having him around as a manager doesn't bother me as much.

But Sting? Ugh.
I get bringing him around for name recognition because of AEW being young and wanting people to tune in. I get (but don't agree with) giving him a one match send-off based on how his match with Seth Rollins ended. I really hope it's a one and done. The problem is I don't think it is. What is Sting, like 61 or 62? Didn't they also sign him to a multi-year deal?

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:40 am

I believe Sting was signed to a multi-year deal. I feel like they have already kinda overdone it with him based on what I've seen... he doesn't need to come out every single week just so Tony can go "It's Stiiiiiiinnnnngggg". The first time is a nostalgia pop, 8 weeks later it no longer moves the needle. I kinda like the idea of him being a mentor to Darby Allin, but less is definitely more here IMO.

Recent quote from Tony Khan is that they are signing legends to work on their new AEW: Evolution show where they will work with the young up and coming wrestlers (this is the one PW is supposed to do commentary for).

Not something I will be watching but not the worst thing if true. The issue is when you start rolling out/pushing the old WWE guys instead of ever bringing up the next wave, which is something they have to be very careful about.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:51 am

Well, AEW's first champion was a 48-year-old Chris Jericho. He was defeated by Dean Ambrose.

Oh, and Bret Hart was the one who unveiled the belt on the PPV.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am

Yes. I can kind of understand them doing that as they were a new promotion trying to make a name for themselves... At that point those names are going to draw more attention than a Darby Allin or such. I guess we'll see where they go from here.

I don't know if they will make it or not yet... they have the money, so as long as they have a TV contract, they will be around, but I do see some similarities with where WCW went wrong at times there (possibly bringing in too many old WWE guys, goofy/nonsensical story lines).

They have some talented guys though, and several guys who give really good promos... in my experience a lot of the actual wrestling leaves a lot to be desired though.

Like the lead up to the Moxley-Kingston "matches" were filled with just amazing promos... but then the matches were just shitty hardcore garbage for the most part. While Moxley certainly should have some beef with some of the stupid **** they wanted him to do in WWE, if he wanted to do this kind of hardcore **** all the time I can maybe see why they didnt take him seriously.

Honestly, from what I have seen the absolute worst veteran signing has been Matt Hardy. I wasn't really following wrestling at all during his original "broken" days, but dear lord it was bad in AEW. He has on rare occasions done stuff that got a mild chuckle out of me, but he's mostly just been putrid. He is now an over the top evil manager that breaks the fourth wall to tell you his evil plans. :face:

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 pm

IIRC Jericho said as a new promotion, a lot of people outside of the hardcores don't know who the bullet club are, who Omega is, etc. Bringing in older big names helps get everyone noticed, and is good for external TV deals overseas.

I liked what they were doing with the old guys until Sting really. Have them manage the young guys, get them on TV and doing promos and let the young guys wrestle. I thought Jake the Snake and Archer were pretty much tops for that.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 pm

Really cool that they're doing this. Conrad did a podcast with them last season which is basically the same thing they will be doing here, except that there will be video and potentially extra footage iirc.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 am

WCW vibes. Not the good ones.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:24 pm

Yikes. Hopefully that’s a tease for something else and not AEW. Actually I hope Kurt doesn’t wrestle anywhere. He’s one of the best ever but he’s all done.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:35 pm

Luckily it's just a tease. Kurt looked awful in his last match.

Turns out the big signing was
Christian

Meh.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Trying to find a stream just for the spectacle of the exploding barb wire match but no luck anywhere unless I put in CC information.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:31 pm

I don't think this is a real spoiler, but Mox has been taking most of the bad stuff so far

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:32 pm

if you're looking for a stream, you have about 9 min before the ring explodes

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:47 pm

Something had to go wrong here, right? Cuz that is reallllllly sad.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Oh man that's a baaaddd botch on whoever rigged the pyro.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:55 pm

I kinda feel bad for the announcers having to sell like Kingston just died trying to protect Moxley from the "explosions". There's no saving that.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:04 am

Lol I mean come on this is WCW 2000 stuff.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:50 am

Horrible. This will be hard to recover from.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:51 am

Oh man that's a baaaddd botch on whoever rigged the pyro.
I'm thinking there was something that was set off earlier in the match that probably shouldn't have went off. This would have made for a bigger bang for the finale. The sparklers/flares in the corner were just a bad idea. It made for an effect that "hey we lit something", but it felt more like a bad set of fireworks.

I saw somebody on twitter last night suggesting that there was supposed to be something from under the ring, although I'm not sure how much sense that would make considering Kingston was on top of Moxley. But a boom from under the ring would have at least given a different effect.

King Colby

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 am

Hahaha thats awesome. Set off a couple sparklers

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 am

Horrible. This will be hard to recover from.

Now I understand why Corny rails against this bullshit Gaga stuff.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:44 am

Luckily it's just a tease. Kurt looked awful in his last match.

Turns out the big signing was
Christian

Meh.
This was lost amongst the ring sparklers... Christian is better than Angle for sure, but he's still a 47-year-old ex-WWE guy. This is the exact same **** that people hated on WCW and TNA for doing. When will AEW stop getting a pass?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:50 am

I finally saw the actual match, and Mox and Omega put out a damn good deathmatch until that ending. Both guys took bumps, nothing was silly, it all made sense (from a deathmatch persepective anyways). I'm not a fan of those matches in general, but I thought for US style death match in a major promotion they did very well.