home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:14 pm

It's not spectrum owned. So. Probably time for a new one. Thanks pal

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I’m determined to get ASUS to sponsor 5AF so we can force the lazy mods to enable a like button, or at least avatars.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:44 am

USB stick connected to your smart TV (if you have the option). Not sure if a Roku can play files on them.
So I bought a SanDisk usb stick and it's telling me these 5gb files are too big to put on here. It's 64gb stick. What's happening here?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:57 am

USB stick connected to your smart TV (if you have the option). Not sure if a Roku can play files on them.
So I bought a SanDisk usb stick and it's telling me these 5gb files are too big to put on here. It's 64gb stick. What's happening here?
Which USB stick? Sounds like they have their own software on it and want you to use whatever app they embedded in it for storage. Lots of companies are doing that now so that the contents are encrypted. Personally, I'd probably just plug it into a Windows laptop and format it completely, but read your TV's manual first so that you know which format it will accept (likely FAT or FAT32).

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:27 am

Which USB stick? Sounds like they have their own software on it and want you to use whatever app they embedded in it for storage. Lots of companies are doing that now so that the contents are encrypted. Personally, I'd probably just plug it into a Windows laptop and format it completely, but read your TV's manual first so that you know which format it will accept (likely FAT or FAT32).
It's the format, not the software embedded. FAT32 has a 4 gb file size limit.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:30 am

I am aware...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:33 am

I didn't even see the file size of the movie. You'd need to format in NTFS or exFAT, assuming the device will accept it. Otherwise, use Handbrake and convert the file to shrink it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:53 am

There is some dumb software on it. This is stupid. I'll just continue to put it on YouTube. Seems like he is ok with the concert video staying on there.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:54 am

Yeah, was going to say. Put it on Youtube and make it private if you have to.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 am

I put it as unlisted and a warning came up saying the artist is ok with this up here for now. If it's private, will that keep it up there for me regardless?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 am

I imagine it'll glad flagged the same regardless. So just do what you're doing and have a plan if the artist changes their mind. Only benefit of setting it to Private is other users can't narc you out, but it sounds like YT already did.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:59 pm

is there a good reference for picking a menu of channels and determining which streaming service(s) would be appropriate? if not, this seems like a good tool for someone to invent.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:05 pm

is there a good reference for picking a menu of channels and determining which streaming service(s) would be appropriate? if not, this seems like a good tool for someone to invent.
Here's a comparison of live streaming services. This site has a bunch of other comparisons as well. https://thestreamable.com/channels

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:23 pm

I put it as unlisted and a warning came up saying the artist is ok with this up here for now. If it's private, will that keep it up there for me regardless?
If this is how you're storing digital copies of movies, I'd create a separate dedicated YT account linked to a different Google ID than your main/actual one. ContentID still scans unlisted videos, so you don't want your real account dinged with copyright strikes if at some point the IP owners decide to get stroppy.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:48 pm

If this is how you're storing digital copies of movies, I'd create a separate dedicated YT account linked to a different Google ID than your main/actual one. ContentID still scans unlisted videos, so you don't want your real account dinged with copyright strikes if at some point the IP owners decide to get stroppy.
Nah, just had 6 concerts I wanted to watch until hopefully a proper bluray release. Thanks everyone

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:29 pm

I just received an email from Roku about my new subscription to fubo Family Share at $64.99 a month. The only problem is I never signed up for that. I thought it was a phising scam until I went to the site and checked my account (I get HBO max through roku) and yep, I was subscribed. Needless to say I canceled, but I'm tempted to send an impolite email too.
Last edited by AuthorTony on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:30 pm

I just received an email from Roku about my new subscription to fubo Family Share at $64.99 a month. The only problem is I never signed up for that. I thought it was a phising scam until I went to the site and checked my account (I get HBO max through roku) and yep, I was subscribed. Needless to say I canceled, but I'm tempted to sent an impolite email too.
This sounds like a job for @NTP66

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:33 am

I usually charge for that service, but for you Tony, it'd be on the house.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:23 am

Did Roku have your payment information? If not, sounds to me like you just got free fubo.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 am

I found it interesting that Disney+ has a disclaimer - right with violence, smoking, language warnings - when a film has product placements. Noticed that during Avengers Endgame.

Also, Plex is now streaming a bunch of AMC channels for free - no Plex Pass needed. It's not on demand, so you need to watch live, but one of the AMC channels has a Watching Dead marathon going on.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:20 pm

We just started watching a Netflix docu-drama about the 16ht century history of the reunification of Japan, and one of the rating disclaimers is 'suicide'.

:shrug:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 pm

I believe companies are required to add a disclaimer for product placement in the UK. My guess is Disney+ just added it universally as it's likely easier that way.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:02 am

Pretty nice

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/roam.h ... xOfDB8WXww

I think I'd rather have another move to pair in stereo though

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:27 am

Comcast’s new streaming service Peacock lost $914 million in 2020, including intra-company charges, the company disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Monday.

Peacock, which launched on April 15, generated $118 million for the year, according to the filing.

Comcast made the filing because it is changing the way it is accounting for some of its businesses. As a startup, Peacock’s financials were included in the corporate category. Going forward, it will be part of NBCUniversal’s accounting.
Simple solution: more Psych movies.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 am

Comcast’s new streaming service Peacock lost $914 million in 2020, including intra-company charges, the company disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Monday.

Peacock, which launched on April 15, generated $118 million for the year, according to the filing.

Comcast made the filing because it is changing the way it is accounting for some of its businesses. As a startup, Peacock’s financials were included in the corporate category. Going forward, it will be part of NBCUniversal’s accounting.
Simple solution: more Psych movies.
And they recently bought the WWE streaming rights for $1bn.