Health and Fitness

nocera

Health and Fitness

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm

what is the real perk of Peloton?

My exercise broke busted a couple of weeks ago. I am going to try and start running again before doing anything, like throw a few thousand towards a new one, but have trouble understanding the draw of the Peloton that would make you pay that much more than another spin bike.
I've never owned another spin bike so I can only speak to the bike on its own rather than compared to others. The classes are great. The instructors are personable, each with their own personality and difficulty level. For example, I know that I will go with Cody for a more relaxing workout whereas if I want to get my ass kicked I'll go with Ally Love. There is a huge variety of workouts and more are added each day. I feel like I get my moneys worth for the subscription. Having the metrics on screen help me know where I should be for pacing and resistance. (I assume that's a feature of all spin bikes). Everything feels high quality from the classes, the accessories, the screen, to the build of the bike itself. It **** better for the price.
What does the "should be" mean there?

In terms of keeping in line with the class, or based on your goals? If it's acting like a trainer and telling you that you are behind or failing, that would be something.
In line with the class. Each class segment gives you a different resistance and cadence range. Like I said, I assume that's how most spin bikes work.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 pm

I'll take the con:
you pay basically $2k for the entry model, $2600 for the upgraded model. that's a lot of money. I started with a $300 bare bones bike from amazon and just upgraded to the Schwinn IC4 that will give me all the metrics that the Peloton bike does by communicating with the Peloton app via Bluetooth and the Schwinn cost me $900 out the door.
Peloton owners pay $40 a month (required) for the access to all the same classes app users have but app users pay $13 a month.
owners do get some things that app users don't. mainly unlimited profiles per bike, handy if there are 4 people in the house that want to use it and only owners get ranked on the Leaderboard for classes.
a few cool things about the upgraded model (Bike+) are that the screen swivels making it easy to use for non-bike classes (I bought a tablet stand from amazon for that) and there's also an auto-resistance feature so you never need to adjust anything, as long as you can keep up.
all that stuff wasn't worth it to me, especially as I see a built-in screen on any bike as just another thing to break but YMMV.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:00 pm

It's a partial tear along with some form of tendonitis(?) around the bottom of the cuff. I just remember there was an -itis word that was used and said it was from wear and tear and being old.

From what the doc says, I actually still have "lots of strength" in the shoulder but there is a lack of mobility once I start moving my shoulder beyond parallel in a backwards direction. I can still move it in that direction, but there's some pain involved. On a scale of 1-10, I'd probably say it's closer to a 4.
Almost exactly what I had to a tee. They gave me some Motrin horse pills for the inflammation/tendonitis, then Vicodin after the surgery. Only took 1-2 days worth of Vicodin, and that was more for the strange muscle twitches I was having after.

Range of motion will definitely be the biggest side effect. After the surgery I had a hard time throwing a baseball, football and anything overhead but had no issues golfing. I kind of put off the PT as I was young and stupid, so stick to that as much as you can. Basically, you'll still have similar issues with your range of motion as you do now, it'll just be pain-free. PT should help loosen up some of that.

Did they take pictures inside your shoulder? They did a pre-surgery inspection with a scope and took pics of the area. Still have them somewhere.
They only did an MRI so far.

Yeah, I'm guilty about blowing off PT and I know I need to get better about that. When they originally had me going to PT (which was stupid considering they sent me for strength training without looking to see if I had a tear), they assigned me at-home stretches. I did them for a few weeks then blew it off since they weren't doing me much good.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:04 pm

The classes are great. The instructors are personable, each with their own personality and difficulty level. For example, I know that I will go with Cody for a more relaxing workout whereas if I want to get my ass kicked I'll go with Ally Love.
have you done any classes with Kendall Toole yet? I was looking at some of her classes like the 45 minute Metallica ride and 30 minute Metal rides and they're rated 9.5/10 :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

nocera

Health and Fitness

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:07 pm

The classes are great. The instructors are personable, each with their own personality and difficulty level. For example, I know that I will go with Cody for a more relaxing workout whereas if I want to get my ass kicked I'll go with Ally Love.
have you done any classes with Kendall Toole yet? I was looking at some of her classes like the 45 minute Metallica ride and 30 minute Metal rides and they're rated 9.5/10 :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Absolutely not. I've only been riding for a month or so and am no way up to that. I'm not metal enough I guess.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Absolutely not. I've only been riding for a month or so and am no way up to that. I'm not metal enough I guess.
a 45 minute ride to metallica with Kendall (who I just googled).... has almost convinced me to drop $2k on a peloton.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm

For us, the $40/mo averages down for $20/mo each. And my wife is already paying for virtual training that Peloton offers, so we can eliminate her payment by transferring over.

Peloton markets the monthly cost as an alternative to in-person spin classes. If you just want to sit in a room with a stationary bike and exercise only then yeah, a Peloton is way overkill. If you're looking for Peloton as a gym substitute then it's a value. When I ordered my bike I was granted access to the same membership you have now and I've been doing Core Strengthening and Cardio classes without the bike. There are tons of classes on-bike and off that go back years, that library has tangible value.

I'm not trying to sell Peloton to anyone, it has to fit your life. I do agree the cost is substantial, but the financing is 0% so it's attainable if you want it.

nocera

Health and Fitness

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Yeah, we were paying significantly more for a JCC membership for the two of us. Of course, there's the bike investment, but the monthly sub is well worth it and we're actually saving compared to our gym membership.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:24 pm

I'm hoping the Bike+ lives beyond the 38 month financing, or if it's going to break it breaks in the warranty period. ;)

Troy Loney

Health and Fitness

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 pm

For us, the $40/mo averages down for $20/mo each. And my wife is already paying for virtual training that Peloton offers, so we can eliminate her payment by transferring over.

Peloton markets the monthly cost as an alternative to in-person spin classes. If you just want to sit in a room with a stationary bike and exercise only then yeah, a Peloton is way overkill. If you're looking for Peloton as a gym substitute then it's a value. When I ordered my bike I was granted access to the same membership you have now and I've been doing Core Strengthening and Cardio classes without the bike. There are tons of classes on-bike and off that go back years, that library has tangible value.

I'm not trying to sell Peloton to anyone, it has to fit your life. I do agree the cost is substantial, but the financing is 0% so it's attainable if you want it.
Gracias, basically it's great if you are a fan of spin classes.

I liked my spin bike because I would read books on the iPad. Read 4 pages, sprint 2 pages, read 4 pages, sprint 2 pages, etc.

But doing that for 30 minutes every day, I managed to gain 10 pounds, so the bike's death might be a blessing because I needed to change things up to fix that problem. The weight thing is bothering me because I am drinking maybe once every two weeks, which is usually the culprit for jumps in weight.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Spin is what people think of when you picture Pelton, yeah.

But they offer a live and back library classes in these categories:

Strength (Weights and body resistance)
Cardio (HIIT, plyo, etc.)
Indoor Running
Outdoor (Audio only, think road running)
Walking
Stretching
Yoga
Meditation

As mentioned above, the newer bike has a large screen that swivels so you can do the off-bike stuff and still see the screen. Or do like I do, I use the Peloton app on a Firestick on a regular TV.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

I've done some of the HIIT, strength and I've been doing their sleep meditation program. last night I did a strength class with resistance bands. I liked the class but found out quickly that resistance bands with a broken finger aren't a good idea. it was just moving too fast for me to be able to shorten the bands around my hands. :(

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:43 pm

That sucks. I mentioned earlier that my wife smacked herself in the face with the bands. She was standing on them and rocked too far back on her heels.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:52 pm

I'm holding off on a pelton until I finish a 300 square foot addition with windows covering 3 sides of the wall overlooking an inspirational wooded setting and I can put the stupid bike right in the middle

Troy Loney

Health and Fitness

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:53 pm

I'm holding off on a pelton until I finish a 300 square foot addition with windows covering 3 sides of the wall overlooking an inspirational wooded setting and I can put the stupid bike right in the middle
I'm putting it off until I move into Fallingwater.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Source of the post I am drinking maybe once every two weeks
That's called a diet, my friend

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Source of the post Or do like I do, I use the Peloton app on a Firestick on a regular TV.
Can this app be used without the bike? In other words, all the other exercises you listed - does it require a full Bike+ membership or can I just pay less per month for the app only?

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Can this app be used without the bike? In other words, all the other exercises you listed - does it require a full Bike+ membership or can I just pay less per month for the app only?
if you do the $13 app you get access to everything Bike owners do except multiple profiles, LeaderBoard rank. that's it.
you get cycle, treadmill, outdoors, cardio, strength, yoga, barre, stretching and meditation. literally THOUSANDS of classes and new ones added every day.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Yup.

I love that the app is cross platform. I go into onepeloton.com and pick my class for later in the day, it's all ready to go when I turn the TV on.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Hmm, sounds good. May add it to my wife's birthday gift this year too

King Colby

Health and Fitness

Postby King Colby » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:28 pm

a 45 minute ride to metallica with Kendall (who I just googled).... has almost convinced me to drop $2k on a peloton.
Her name suits her. Never met an ugly kendall.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Thanks again to FistOfCaufield for the heads up on requesting a new earlier delivery. I think they (Bruce and Josiah?) might have gone from their house to mine unless they have multiple delivery teams working today. The delivery team is based in Cranberry for the Pittsburgh area, not sure where FOC lives. The team wasn't a courier, they were head to toe in Peloton gear and knew the device inside and out.

First Impressions:
-It's a small piece of gear, a bit of underwhelming presence at first. That works in my favor but some of the competitor bikes are bigger, decorative flywheels, etc.
-Setup was quick since I already entered a bunch of stuff in my account through the web.
-The seat is tough, need to see if I can upgrade to a gel seat or something. I'm a fat guy and it really gets in there.
-For as big as I am, and as small as it is, it's pretty stable.
-First time clipping in/out was interesting. Also at one point, I forgot I was clipped in and tried to coast; nope!
-Volume is controlled by large buttons on the side of the monitor; took me half the ride to find them.
-My data setup worked automatically on the first try: Peloton -> Strava -> SyncMyWorkout -> Garmin
-Couldn't get it to talk to my Garmin watch to operate as a heart rate monitor; have to read more into that.
-Leanne Hainsby....she's cute, eh?

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Source of the post The seat is tough, need to see if I can upgrade to a gel seat or something. I'm a fat guy and it really gets in there.
This is actually a good thing. Gel seats will give you more of a chapped ass than a hard seat. Your toosh will get used to the hard seat eventually.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:25 pm

-The seat is tough, need to see if I can upgrade to a gel seat or something. I'm a fat guy and it really gets in there.
I replaced my seat with an older version of this:

also, get those sit bones as far back as you can.

nocera

Health and Fitness

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 pm

Source of the post The seat is tough, need to see if I can upgrade to a gel seat or something. I'm a fat guy and it really gets in there.
This is actually a good thing. Gel seats will give you more of a chapped ass than a hard seat. Your toosh will get used to the hard seat eventually.
Mine still hasn't.