Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:06 pm

I don’t mean pure, Shyster-approved libertarianism. One that derives its social political principles from libertarianism. ie a party that supports both gun ownership and gay marriage

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:13 pm

Lol

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Lolol

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 pm

If Fauci was fired 12 months ago, we'd be in the exact same spot we are now. that f-ing guy. he's little and makes cute faces. i guess that's better than using the microphones jammed in his face last spring to say something useful - like how his bosses were making up everything on the fly.

he's a cowardly bureaucrat who has somehow lowered the expectations of him to that of a 6 year old. make no mistake, he's a hell of a lot better than Birx - who totally wanted to come out of COVID as a hot media personality. Fauci just didn't want to lose his job and his fame. so he kept his cute little mouth shut while the bodies piled up.

but also, go adopt a gecko, work at a tilapia farm and get f***ed you piece of desert trash meghan mccain

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:44 pm

Problem with Fauci’s job is that the science is too new and raw to really say anything of substance but you have to phrase it all in a way so that the Meghan McCain’s of the world don’t completely misinterpret what you’re saying and then get angry. It’s a lose-lose

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:45 pm

shmenguin: do you think it was possible for someone in the Trump administration to actually tell the people the truth needed to save lives and also be effective at the saving lives part?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:46 pm

I can’t tell if McCain is this stupid or its an act. I think at this point, it’s a me issue, McCain is just executing a paycheck on zero talents

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:07 pm

shmenguin: do you think it was possible for someone in the Trump administration to actually tell the people the truth needed to save lives and also be effective at the saving lives part?
I don’t think Fauci saved lives. The pro-Fauci’s are already wearing masks and not hanging out indoors. He didn’t provide meaningful expertise beyond what eventually became common sense.

Fauci should have grabbed a hot mic while addressing the nation, said “everything that guys said is wrong. He’s trying to kill people to save his campaign”, and let the chips fall where they may.

He’s a wealthy, famous, beloved doctor. He would have remained a wealthy, famous, beloved doctor. He just would have ended his career on different terms than he hoped. But he would have made a difference if he said something. But the vacuum he left behind was easily filled by the Trump/Birx medical opinion rather than his.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:08 pm

I can’t tell if McCain is this stupid or its an act. I think at this point, it’s a me issue, McCain is just executing a paycheck on zero talents
Both? Her quote about “I, Meghan McCain, cannot get vaccinated...” makes me want somebody to slap her upside the back of her head.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Fauci should have grabbed a hot mic while addressing the nation, said “everything that guys said is wrong. He’s trying to kill people to save his campaign”, and let the chips fall where they may.
Sure and what would have happened? He'd replace Fauci with some other propaganda minister and we'd be worse off. Or, none of it matters and normal people would know what is going on and the MAGA cult would just ignore Fauci and move on

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Sure and what would have happened? He'd replace Fauci with some other propaganda minister and we'd be worse off. Or, none of it matters and normal people would know what is going on and the MAGA cult would just ignore Fauci and move on
Maybe. But he actually did replace Fauci just like you said. At least as far as letting him speak goes. And literally nothing changed.

The most generous way to put it is that Fauci’s actions were a complete net neutral, but maybe his presence as an expert helped people, emotionally - if not in any tangible way.

...but he wanted to keep his job, so he kept his mouth shut while people died. So many people. I’m not cool with the whole thing.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm

Production meeting happens...Meghan gets to do a bit...She has to think of said bit...rollouts are going extremely well...still must think of a bit. So the lightbulb goes off and this is what she comes up with. Like that Laura Ingraham “theyre mad covid is going away” tweet.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:52 pm

The world's preeminent infectious disease expert - which might not be replaceable even with 4 or 5 fresh bodies in his place - should die on his sword and remove himself from any role whatsoever in formulating and guiding the response by the world's most respected public health organization to a once-in-century pandemic because........ I'm sorry, why, again?

Yeah, that's a really bad idea.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:02 pm

Lolol

Karen McCain

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:05 pm

The world's preeminent infectious disease expert - which might not be replaceable even with 4 or 5 fresh bodies in his place - should die on his sword and remove himself from any role whatsoever in formulating and guiding the response by the world's most respected public health organization to a once-in-century pandemic because........ I'm sorry, why, again?

Yeah, that's a really bad idea.
This is a post from March of 2020.

It’s not hypothetical. Under Fauci, we were a world wide disgrace and lost 500,000 lives. It’s obviously on Trump, but the point is that the world’s greatest infectious disease asset did absolutely nothing meaningful during a historic crisis.

I believe, perhaps naively, that hearing true words at a nationally televised press conference at the beginning of the pandemic would have saved lives. I also believe that his silence was interpreted as support for Trump in MAGA land and in every octogenarian household. I really truly believe that if he would have spoken plainly and confronted Trump in that kind of forum he would have saved lives. And then Biden would have rehired him.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm

This is also like the smallest gripe possible right now. I just needed my tight 5 on Fauci to get memorialized.
Last edited by shmenguin on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Yeah......... an extremely bad idea that gets worse the more you articulate your rationale.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Yeah......... an extremely bad idea that gets worse the more you articulate your rationale.
What did Fauci do? Like specifically, “if not for Fauci...” finish that sentence. 600,000 lives? Why?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm

Through the summer, Fauci was the only person from the federal government who I believed when they spoke on the matter of COVID. And it got him sidelined.

At this point I think it is safe to say that there were hundreds of thousands of, what's the word, 'excess' infections in this country that can be traced to poor top-down political leadership. By definition, if you agree with that assertion that also means there were 10s of thousands of excess deaths from COVID that didn't have to happen. The way you look at these facts, you think "why did the number get that high on Fauci's watch", whereas I look at the same facts and think "how much worse could it have been with Trumpy von MAGA running the shop at NIAID instead of Fauci".

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:31 pm

I think the negatives of Fauci speaking out outweigh the positives

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm

What was Fauci allowed to do, and of he made any sort of effort, what was suggesting that Trump would've followed that advice in any meaningful way?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:42 pm

What was Fauci allowed to do, and of he made any sort of effort, what was suggesting that Trump would've followed that advice in any meaningful way?
He was not allowed to speak. He was not able to give Trump advice. So his qualifications were stripped and he wasn’t useful. If he says the truth and saves a few lives, he gets fired. But then the muzzle comes off and he can have a permanent invite on any talking head show. If you recall, he wasn’t allowed to speak to the press at all towards the end. How’d that go on the helpfulness scale?

And tif, I’m not sure what you personally needed to hear on the matter. He didn’t need to speak up for you. There are (or were) 10s of millions of naive seniors who watched those press conferences with simple, open minds. And they saw Trump telling them masks don’t work and Fauci endorsing that through silence. That is a real thing that actually happened. In the spirit of creative solutioning, I think maybe a different approach was worth trying

Ultimately he wasnt any different from Birx, except for one interview where she vomited her career away. But she’s reviled and he’s the hero.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 pm

People were already dug into their camps with or without Fauci. While I don’t think he did a ton of good, he didn’t hurt either. His cutesy act did help for the <1% of the population that was in the middle on mask vs no mask, shut down vs no shutdown.

He was a wash which is likely better than most could do in the position he was put in.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Something lighthearted...dismantling class kinda sounds like Marxism :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Something lighthearted...dismantling class kinda sounds like Marxism :lol:

Anti-capitalist *tweets from iphone*