Colossal TV Show thread

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 pm

I'm down to the final six episodes of The Shield. Gonna try and binge them this weekend, but if not, will definitely be finishing it early next week.
Thoughts on the post-Lem era?
I'm still **** mad at Shane. I do think the show lost a bit of humanity when Lem was killed off, though Vic does seem to be trying to change that path. Still love this show, and barring an absolute failure of a finale, it's top-5 for me all-time.
The finale is at or near the top all time for me, so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Man, the finale had it all. I can't believe what Shane did, and I guess it's fitting how Vic ended up, which is basically living hell for him. Still missed Lem, though.
Top five drama all time for me. Honestly probably falls into third behind Breaking Bad and The Wire. Ground breaking show that was great throughout its run and had an amazing finale. Happy to hear you enjoyed because I don’t think it gets discussed enough along the likes of other great shows.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Thoughts on the post-Lem era?
I'm still **** mad at Shane. I do think the show lost a bit of humanity when Lem was killed off, though Vic does seem to be trying to change that path. Still love this show, and barring an absolute failure of a finale, it's top-5 for me all-time.
The finale is at or near the top all time for me, so I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Man, the finale had it all. I can't believe what Shane did, and I guess it's fitting how Vic ended up, which is basically living hell for him. Still missed Lem, though.
Top five drama all time for me. Honestly probably falls into third behind Breaking Bad and The Wire. Ground breaking show that was great throughout its run and had an amazing finale. Happy to hear you enjoyed because I don’t think it gets discussed enough along the likes of other great shows.
Funny, I was Googling 'top TV shows' and saw that The Shield was low on a number of them, while putting much lesser shows up top. Whatever, the show was thrilling from start to finish, and I'm sad that I get no more Vic Mackey. I loved the entire cast, except for that dodint Maura. **** her.

Funny that you mention those two shows, because I have seen neither. The Wire is probably next for me, once I figure out where I can watch it, or download the series.

Edit: Downloading The Wire now.

Beveridge

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Funny that you mention those two shows, because I have seen neither. The Wire is probably next for me, once I figure out where I can watch it, or download the series.

I didn't watch Breaking Bad until late last year, but don't wait any longer. Watch that now.

Take it from 2 Psych brothers. Get on it.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:35 pm

This is weird. I've always thought of The Shield as kind of a joke... that dumb cop show with The Thing. This is the only place where I've seen it discussed in such high regard next to Breaking Bad and The Wire.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 pm

The Shield is a god damn masterpiece. Not that this matters, but the people I know who are cops swear it is the most realistic in terms of day to day stuff, procedure, etc.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 pm

I didn't watch Breaking Bad until late last year, but don't wait any longer. Watch that now.

Take it from 2 Psych brothers. Get on it.
I'm on it.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 pm

I'm doing a slow rewatch of BB when time permits. Just finished S1E6. This is where the show really starts to take off.
Walt shaves his head, coming up with the Heisenberg name, the fulminated mercury on Tuco...great stuff.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:25 pm

BB spoiler
Loved the show. Walt was very interesting as a character. Most of the time I could really relate with him (what I would call the fake Walt) those other times when he was all ME! I’M THE BEST I DID THE WORK ME ME ME. Really showed that under everything he was always and egomaniacal a-hole.

I think when it really boils down to it he didn’t give a **** about his family or Jesse. It was just the piece of him he molded for years to do the societal right thing. Even when Hank was gonna die, I think his emotion was more driven by it not being his plan and things didn’t work out just how he wanted.

No matter the good Walt ever did he was always a razors edge from snapping into the actual jerk he was. (This was also illustrated really well with his claim that he was screwed out of a billion dollar company even though he made the decision to be bought out.) I mean **** his friend offered him a great paying job with great insurance. His family wouldn’t have had to want for anything and he would have been fine with his medical care. But nooo Walt’s ego wanted more, wanted some bullshit I’m better than them story.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:29 pm

BB spoiler
Loved the show. Walt was very interesting as a character. Most of the time I could really relate with him (what I would call the fake Walt) those other times when he was all ME! I’M THE BEST I DID THE WORK ME ME ME. Really showed that under everything he was always and egomaniacal a-hole.

I think when it really boils down to it he didn’t give a **** about his family or Jesse. It was just the piece of him he molded for years to do the societal right thing. Even when Hank was gonna die, I think his emotion was more driven by it not being his plan and things didn’t work out just how he wanted.

No matter the good Walt ever did he was always a razors edge from snapping into the actual jerk he was. (This was also illustrated really well with his claim that he was screwed out of a billion dollar company even though he made the decision to be bought out.) I mean **** his friend offered him a great paying job with great insurance. His family wouldn’t have had to want for anything and he would have been fine with his medical care. But nooo Walt’s ego wanted more, wanted some bullshit I’m better than them story.
Yeah, the first time around I rooted for Walter and hated Skylar. The second time I found myself siding with Skylar most of the time. I guess that's what happens when you get old.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:56 pm

I think the phone call with Skylar in the (I forget if it was Ozymandias or Granite State) episode showed that, while Ego Walt was definitely a thing, he ultimately was motivated by his love of family. Same with risking capture to deliver the remining, er, 'proceeds' of his work and to say goodbye to Holly.

That said, I remain 100% all in on the theory that Walt died at the end of Granite State and the events of Felina are actually his internal fantasy as he fades into oblivious in his car. (I know Vince Gilligan has directly refuted this, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let the stupid series creator and showrunner interfere with my interpretation of their work.)
Last edited by tifosi77 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm

We have 5 episodes of BB left. This is my second go through. Totally different the second time. Absolutely fantastic. My fiance feels bad for Jesse but is still in "he did it to himself" mode. She better change her GD mind soon....

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm

I think the phone call with Skylar in the episode showed that, while Ego Walt was definitely a thing, he ultimately was motivated by his love of family. Same with risking capture to deliver the remining, er, 'proceeds' of his work and to say goodbye to Holly.

That said, I remain 100% all in on the theory that Walt died at the end of Granite State and the events of Felina are actually his internal fantasy as he fades into oblivious in his car. (I know Vince Gilligan has directly refuted this, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let the stupid series creator and showrunner interfere with my interpretation of their work.)

So El Camino is also a fantasy?

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm

El Camino was a waste of time anyway.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm

BB spoiler

Yeah, the first time around I rooted for Walter and hated Skylar. The second time I found myself siding with Skylar most of the time. I guess that's what happens when you get old.
Big time this, however, Skyler's view and how she handled marijuana in season 1 is Gilligan's way of showing how Walt could never have been honest with her about it. She literally called it smoking the pot and thought Walt should go to rehab. What did he think she'd say about meth?

But yeah, I was team Walt back when it aired. Now I am totally rooting for Hank but even that ends once the cancer comes back. At that point why ruin the lives of Skyler and, more importantly, Flynn and Holly?

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:06 pm

El Camino was a waste of time anyway.
Get ****! I needed that ending. I needed Jesse to be safe and comfortable.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Nah Jesse's ending was perfect in the finale. El Camino felt like an over-telling of a story that we already knew. I liked being back in that world but at the end of the film, I didn't feel that it actually added to the characters or the story. If anything, it did the opposite for me.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:33 pm

I think the phone call with Skylar in the (I forget if it was Ozymandias or Granite State) episode showed that, while Ego Walt was definitely a thing, he ultimately was motivated by his love of family. Same with risking capture to deliver the remining, er, 'proceeds' of his work and to say goodbye to Holly.

I hear what you’re saying. IMO the phone call was him trying to have some control in what was a quickly spiraling situation. He was losing but wanted to recover somewhat, he seemed to want again to be able to lord that over Sky. I saved you! I made sure you didn’t have to worry. I did that. As for Holly, the game was lost and again he wanted, one day, for his daughter to know that daddy was great and he did this big thing for the family and for her. Again just my opinion but it wouldn’t have mattered if he only left her enough to buy a big box of ramen as long as his hard work was recognized.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:35 pm

So El Camino is also a fantasy?
I'm in the nocera camp - never saw it because it seemed superfluous. Jesse escaped at the end of Felina, and he's happy and at peace; I'm good.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:04 pm

You think he was happy and at peace at the end of Felina? Did we watch the same episode?

I loved El Camino. It gave me exactly what I wanted. Different strokes I guess.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 pm

He was screaming in joy to be free as he literally rode off into the sunset night. Obviously he was **** up from his experience but it was open ended and allowed the viewer to decide his ultimate fate. El Camino held our hands and showed us exactly what we all already assumed happened. And also introduced us to fat Todd which I could’ve done without.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:14 pm

You think that was joy? We totally read it differently...

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 pm

He was terrified and alone and broke and wanted by the police. Sure, it's up to us to decide, but I'm happy I got to see how it turned out for him.

Beveridge

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Beveridge » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:17 pm

I like El Camino. I like Better Call Saul even more.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm

You think that was joy? We totally read it differently...
Maybe relief is a better word than joy.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:38 pm

It was a primal scream -- saw one write up shortly after the episode aired that it was like the lone survivor at the end of a horror movie realizing the maniac that's been terrorizing her (cos it's always a 'her') and her friends for the last 90 minutes is finally dead. Relief, joy, madness, the pressure valve blowing, whatever you want to call it. My take of Jesse being 'happy' was really more meant to be his post-show flow state, not necessarily his mindset in that individual moment. (I didn't do a good job of making that clear) All of that stuff about being broke and a wanted man.... in that moment, none of it was in Jesse's head. It was just unbridled emotion (and I must say Aaron Paul f**king nailed it).

Immediately after the series wrapped - long before El Camino was a germ of an idea - Gilligan did an interview where he stated the romantic in him and the other writers really wanted to believe that Jesse got himself clean and sober and moved to Alaska and created a new identity for himself and was living happily ever after as a commercial cod fisherman. Everything that happened to him in the show was because Walt blackmailed him into helping him get started cooking meth, so maybe more than any other featured character in the show he deserved a satisfying life after Walt.