COVID-19

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 am

Is there any indication what the biggest fear with the vaccine is?

It can’t be the microchip thing. That’s just too ridiculous for large swaths if the population to believe

I guess it’s the mRNA vaccine thing but what do they think will happen? That it’ll affect their dna?
The largest portion I’ve seen has been women who are trying to get pregnant/ are pregnant/ breast feeding.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:29 am

“It was developed too fast” is the most common excuse that I have heard. Meanwhile these same people are the ones consistently complaining about masks, restrictions, etc. They want the pandemic to be over but don’t want to take the biggest step towards actually ending it.
I've heard the same re: development time. My response has always been to point out the worldwide, focused effort that was put forth to develop the vaccines. I would bet that no other vaccine in the history of mankind had this much concentrated focus.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:34 am

“It was developed too fast” is the most common excuse that I have heard. Meanwhile these same people are the ones consistently complaining about masks, restrictions, etc. They want the pandemic to be over but don’t want to take the biggest step towards actually ending it.
I've heard the same re: development time. My response has always been to point out the worldwide, focused effort that was put forth to develop the vaccines. I would bet that no other vaccine in the history of mankind had this much concentrated focus.
Couple that with the fact that this is brand new technology (as far as vaccines go). The speed is largely due to the fact that these type of vaccines are far more... “programmable” for lack of a better term. The developers can literally just code them to do their job quickly and they’re ready to rock. (Yes, it’s more complicated than that, but surprisingly not much more complicated).

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:41 am

You mean there have been advancements in technology?! LOOK AT FUTURE BOY OVER HERE.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:44 am

these type of vaccines are far more... “programmable”

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:57 am

My wife (and kid’s school district) surveyed teachers and staff about whether or not they wanted a vaccine a week or two ago.

This morning, my wife got an email to sign up with our local hospital for an upcoming vaccine clinic. It was sent out via the district office to all “yes” respondents.

It was not sent BCC. :face:

My wife can see who said yes, which deductively means she can see who said no (or not sure). Folks, it’s scary the number of people who don’t want the vaccine.
Some are people who already got it elsewhere though, right?

Not saying there aren't more than expected who don't want it for no good reason of course.
Possibly. We knew of three “nos” that already had COVID, so they feel they don’t need the shot (I guess?)

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 am

I read an article a few days ago that said the recommendation may be for those who previously had Covid to get one shot only, which would protect them and free up a dose for somebody else.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:00 am

The one I know that isn't getting it is due to "not knowing long term effects" but he doesn't get the flu shot either so I think it's just a moron thing

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:44 am

I no longer know anyone who isn't getting it. At least among those I've discussed it with.

Lots of hesitancy at first for some, but they came around as more information became available.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:45 am

Even my conspiracy nut parents said yesterday they would get it when it is widely available.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 am

We are finding that vaccine hesitancy is two separate and distinct groups.

There are "it was developed too quickly" folks - which are actually concerned with longer term effects, but too stupid to articulate that. These folks are hilarious because they say this, then go get McDonald's and hit their vape and don't have a 401k. Weird that they decided to care about their future now. Lower income. White. 'Merica.

The second group is an overall distrust with the man telling them what to do. This is more defined based of off race and ethnicity, but oddly enough excludes Hispanics.

Beveridge

COVID-19

Postby Beveridge » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Over 2,000 doses given yesterday in about 8 hours. :thumb:

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Speaking more to the herd immunity piece I posted a few days ago.... It's not just the non epidemiologists that are saying it now.

Goes back to the theory that way more people have had COVID than previously thought. Would be great news, next couple months will be interesting.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/we-could ... 25324.html
As the seven-day average of newly confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. dramatically declines, down about 66% from a month ago, Suzanne Judd, an epidemiologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health, says it’s “possible” we’re approaching herd immunity.

Judd points to a Columbia University study that estimates the number of active COVID-19 cases in the U.S. could be 10 times the number confirmed through testing. The study, published by NPR ahead of peer review, suggests that as of the end of January, more than a third of the U.S. population had already been infected with coronavirus.

“You add [the findings] from the Columbia study to the number of vaccinations that have been rolling out, and it’s possible that we could be approaching herd immunity,” Judd told Yahoo Finance Live. “We should know within the next two or three months if this trend holds, but this is definitely the most positive news we have seen in a long time.”

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 pm

If you listen closely, you can hear old grunths absolutely going to town on himself...

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Can't wait for the peer review of the study that posits there have been 280,000,000 COVID infections in the US in 13 months. That would be quite something else if true.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:09 pm

My 79 year old father - with a host of medical issues typical of that age - reports no adverse symptoms, other than he’s thirsty. To remedy this, he began his afternoon with a good scotch. So there’s that. :lol: He got the Pfizer vaccine, fwiw.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:31 pm

My 79 year old father - with a host of medical issues typical of that age - reports no adverse symptoms, other than he’s thirsty. To remedy this, he began his afternoon with a good scotch. So there’s that. :lol: He got the Pfizer vaccine, fwiw.
I want to grow up to be like your old man.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm

:thumb:

Pavel Bure

COVID-19

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:12 pm

We are finding that vaccine hesitancy is two separate and distinct groups.

There are "it was developed too quickly" folks - which are actually concerned with longer term effects, but too stupid to articulate that. These folks are hilarious because they say this, then go get McDonald's and hit their vape and don't have a 401k. Weird that they decided to care about their future now. Lower income. White. 'Merica.

The second group is an overall distrust with the man telling them what to do. This is more defined based of off race and ethnicity, but oddly enough excludes Hispanics.
My BiL is the 2nd group. He “doesn’t like being told what to do.” When pointed out he listens to his boss, gets his car inspected, any number of things he complies with he doesn’t have a retort but to repeat what he said. I never got the whole thing of “I’m a man, don’t tell me what to do.” Oh well.

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Speaking more to the herd immunity piece I posted a few days ago.... It's not just the non epidemiologists that are saying it now.

Goes back to the theory that way more people have had COVID than previously thought. Would be great news, next couple months will be interesting.

The numbers for herd immunity also depend on the size of the herd. There's a fairly substantial portion of the population that, like me, is working from home, not going to restaurants, not interacting much with other people, etc. Those people are barely in contact with the rest of the "herd." I believe that lowers the threshold for population immunity, especially when the people who aren't isolating themselves are also going to be the ones most likely to get infected or have been infected. If those folks all get back into contact with other people, however, then cases would likely increase because the number needed for population immunity would also increase.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Found out I came in contact with someone who was diagnosed with COVID a day after I was in close contact with them. Have to get rapid tested tomorrow. Not thrilled that this person was out experiencing symptoms and decided to just say eff it.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 pm

Found out I came in contact with someone who was diagnosed with COVID a day after I was in close contact with them. Have to get rapid tested tomorrow. Not thrilled that this person was out experiencing symptoms and decided to just say eff it.
:thumbdown:

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 pm

Anyone heard from @offsides

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm

Weird that two different people asked about him 2 days apart and he has been gone since Jan-7.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:09 am