Job and General Employment Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:40 pm

RACI charts....weeks of work with long meetings and ridiculous debates all for a chart that will never be looked at ever again.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:42 pm

**** RACI charts.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:43 pm

RACI charts....weeks of work with long meetings and ridiculous debates all for a chart that will never be looked at ever again.
lmao doing that right now for "accountability" that people will just pass off. Hate them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:22 pm

Note to self: I should probably just walk into the other room to ask my wife a question instead of IM'ing her... while she's sharing her screen.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm

Amateur move not using Do not disturb

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:30 pm

This is actually because of the goofy setup her work has in O365. I IM'd her in Skype, but it goes to her Teams, completely ignoring any status.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:31 pm

We had a group meeting on Teams today. Just before that meeting 3 of us were chatting on IM. During the group meetings, our boss has us go around and talk about our projects and anything for the group. The first of the 3 in our little group chat is up, while the other 2 of us continue to send messages. You can hear the "ding" in the background every time we sent a new IM. Of course being childish imbeciles, we bombarded this guy's IMs so all you heard in the meeting was "ding, ding ding".

Surprised we didn't get fired today.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:33 pm

We had a group meeting on Teams today. Just before that meeting 3 of us were chatting on IM. During the group meetings, our boss has us go around and talk about our projects and anything for the group. The first of the 3 in our little group chat is up, while the other 2 of us continue to send messages. You can hear the "ding" in the background every time we sent a new IM. Of course being childish imbeciles, we bombarded this guy's IMs so all you heard in the meeting was "ding, ding ding".

Surprised we didn't get fired today.
:lol: My buddies and I do the same during our team meetings. It’s all in good fun, though, as it’s a very relaxed meeting.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 am

My team allocation is:
1 Supervisor
3 Team Leads
8 Analysts.

We are staffed at:
1 Supervisor
3 Team Leads
4 Analysts

In the last week, two of the team leads have been temporarily promoted to a new gig, for 120 days. Generally those promotions become permanent more often than not.
I was offered one of the team lead positions yesterday, for the same period. But I had already applied to a different opening on another team a week prior. Was offered that today. So now my (soon to be old) team looks like:

1 Supervisor
1 Team Lead
3 Analysts

Ouch, I feel horrible, it's hard not to be loyal to these people. But it's a self-inflicted wound and I'm not going to turn down an opportunity because HR blows. We gave out 4 Analyst offers the week before Christmas to people that interviewed and they all accepted, and HR still hasn't processed them. Some of them already work for our agency, just for a different team. I've been on this team 4.5 years, which is 2.5 years longer than I've ever been on any team or job. I need a change of scenery.

TL;DR: HR is killing my team and using me as ammo.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:04 am

dodint is not a team player.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 am

Yeah. Dagger to the heart right there. My soul just hurts right now. I should be popping champagne right now and I feel awful instead. I told my current boss, after he mentioned the pay difference to entice me to stay, that the money doesn't matter, I just need to see something different right now. That kind of took the wind out of his sails. Though I guess it doesn't matter, I'm getting the pay either way.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:53 pm

Just found out that we're getting a one-time, $750 bonus. Apparently, we're doing better financially than originally planned, which is a bit of a relief.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:12 pm

I kind of feel the same way at the moment from last years non-promotion event. I feel like I'm drowning more than ever because people keep leaving, and I keep taking on more work. I've raised it a few times to my now new boss and leadership and feel like it's fell on deaf ears.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm

Just found out that we're getting a one-time, $750 bonus. Apparently, we're doing better financially than originally planned, which is a bit of a relief.
$MINE all of it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:20 pm

$MINE all of it.
Sorry, I’m going to put half into ARKK, and buy into ARKF.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't feel bad anymore. My boss coordinated with HR to delay my promotion to 14-March. The last guy to leave left at the end of the pay period, three days after his selection. The guy selected right after him is leaving 1-March. I should be on the 1-March train as well but got boned.

He sent me an e-mail saying I'm free to coordinate with my new boss, though. Gee, thanks.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Yo that’s dirty. I’d never hold an employee of mine back.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:07 pm

I would end up in the interview process in the middle of a two week hiring system outage/transition.

THE WAITING IS TAKING FOREVER

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:05 pm

We have a team member on paternity leave, has been gone since before Christmas. My boss is holding me here until the team member comes back so I can turn over with him.

So, yes, childfree workers are tangibly and negatively impacted by these policies and behaviors that we can never gain material benefit from. Just a little 'gotcha' I can quote the next time it comes up in the PDT or wherever.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:13 pm

We have a team member on paternity leave, has been gone since before Christmas. My boss is holding me here until the team member comes back so I can turn over with him.

So, yes, childfree workers are tangibly and negatively impacted by these policies and behaviors that we can never gain material benefit from. Just a little 'gotcha' I can quote the next time it comes up in the PDT or wherever.
Yeah. That's a tough spot. I would have approached it like "Hey, I'm in a tough spot with new dad being out until XX. Would you mind sticking around until he gets back? I'd really appreciate it." And then I'd hope that I was a good enough boss to you since you started reporting to me to hang around a bit longer. If you told me to cram it with acorns, I'd understand and be alright with that too.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Need some advice here. I asked my boss for a promotion last year. He said, yeah, you’re overdue for a promotion but we’ve merged with a big company and are moving to their system. Let’s wait until we’ve moved over to their system and I’ll make sure you get that promotion.

A year passes and nothing happens with the transition. I ask again during my yearly review and he says, yeah that’s not good. Let me see what I can do in the interim.

It’s been almost a month since our reviews and raises are due to take effect in April. When/how often do I bother my boss with a update on him getting me that promotion? I don’t want to nag but also don’t want this to fade into the background for another year again.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:32 pm

Why don’t you want to nag? You want that money, right? Nag away

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:34 pm

I would say exactly that...maybe give it til 3/1 or whatever...but be like, "hey, I'm getting a little concerned, I grinned and beared it through the transition...but we got raises coming up and if I really am good enough for a promotion and you really believe in pushing for me, I need that to be actionable now. And if you're not getting through to whoever needs to hear it, put me in front of them and I'll go to bat for myself..."

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Oh I’m going to nag, just wanted to know when a good time was. I’ll look for an opening in the next couple weeks.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 pm

As soon as possible