OFFICIAL GDT: Pens @ Isles 02/11/2021

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:38 pm

I can breakdown why CDS is so good in shootouts in the morning. My three brain cells have had enough for today
Ok. I watched the shootout twice this morning to finetune my thoughts. CDS has three nice things going for him that make him pretty pretty pretty good in the SO.
1. Skating. CDS is a very good skater. He matches pace with the shooter well. He keeps his feet anchored well. He keeps his weight centered well.
2. Moving to his right. He moves to his blocker side incredibly well. 99.999% of goalies move toward their glove side better than they move to their stick side.
3. Patience. He keeps his stance tight. He waits. He reads. He reacts.

Nothing too complicated here. Just some observations.
1 and 3 are definitely noticeable attributes even for a non goalie. He definitely has speed, quickness and good footwork.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:42 pm

I can breakdown why CDS is so good in shootouts in the morning. My three brain cells have had enough for today
Ok. I watched the shootout twice this morning to finetune my thoughts. CDS has three nice things going for him that make him pretty pretty pretty good in the SO.
1. Skating. CDS is a very good skater. He matches pace with the shooter well. He keeps his feet anchored well. He keeps his weight centered well.
2. Moving to his right. He moves to his blocker side incredibly well. 99.999% of goalies move toward their glove side better than they move to their stick side.

Can unsure-dness (I just wanted to break up the word for readability purposes) masquerade itself as patience...? Like, say, the Cizikas opening goal...?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Not game speed patience anyway....

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:16 pm

Can unsure-dness (I just wanted to break up the word for readability purposes) masquerade itself as patience...? Like, say, the Cizikas opening goal...?
I’d chalk that goal up to the brain freeze that can happen when your D man gets absolutely disrobed. I’ve literally said to myself “oh sht!” then got scored on two seconds later because a D got bamboozled so hard.

He does have some patience in there though. Was it Barzal that had the breakaway and **** 5-hole? CDS was all over that. He was down before the puck fully left Barzal’s stick.

And let’s not confuse patience with a lack of scramble. Those are two separate things if that makes sense. He looks like a fish out there sometimes

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Pageau had the break away and shot five hole shorthanded

meow

Postby meow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:22 pm

That’s correct

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:07 pm

what's a goalie's general strategy in shootout? do they watch tape and try to predict what a particular shooter's move is or do they just go in with a general mindset and work from there (lean toward glove/blocker side, watch five hole at certain point, etc)?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:32 pm

They have a book on everyone...like Letang's forehand, backhand shelf move is known...that's why you often see goalies (especially those playing in a different conference) go and talk to the backup before a shootout starts, they're asking questions about what they know about who they're gonna face...

Smart goalies do the advance scout, they know what they're out there against...that goes back as far as the Plante/Bower days...my recollection is that Bower had a literal book on players...

meow

Postby meow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:24 pm

You know the famous moves and you respect them, but you can’t commit. These guys can do whatever they want.

There are different ways to play it. Some guys want to force something - Fleury did this by fake poke checking or whatever other dumb things he did. Some guys want to get big. Some guys want to get comfortable.