Ron Hextall new GM, Brian Burke named Pres of Hockey Ops

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 am

we’ve been maybe the softest team in the league since pre-16 cup. Bonino playing on one leg? We have plenty of that. But it’s still a league of bullies once April hits. And we get our lunch money stolen, shoved up our butts and then the local paper stops by for a photo shoot while we pose in whatever way they want.

Seems like the sandpaper is getting better, but take away Tanev and it’s open season.

Point being...Burke and Hextall will hopefully realize that this matters. That you have to be stressful to play against, where the dmen on the other team aren’t completely fine absorbing your forecheck and guys like the mutants on the caps can’t just decide to turn momentum at will by scumbagging one of our players. This needs fixed unless you’re way way better than everyone else like we were in ‘16

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 am

we’ve been maybe the softest team in the league since pre-16 cup. Bonino playing on one leg? We have plenty of that. But it’s still a league of bullies once April hits. And we get our lunch money stolen, shoved up our butts and then the local paper stops by for a photo shoot while we pose in whatever way they want.
mr25 right now:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:58 am

:lol:

What also impresses me is the boldness of this move. I would have to imagine that they wouldn't be bringing both of them in if both parties did not agree and weren't looking forward to having a complementary relationship.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 pm

Horny
Hot takes don't beget long explanations. Sorry them's the rules. He's aging, a big contract that we don't need, and slow in a team that's trying to have a fast identity (though I agree that's not where we are yet). We have two faster, younger RWs. Moving him and his contract was the right thing for this team but getting Matheson and his contract in exchange was also most definitely not. Also we both know that PPG pace isn't gonna last. He would definitely be useful on the PP right now*

*Spoken from a guy with a signed Horny jersey hanging in his office.
My biggest thing with Hornqvist is the presence that he brings not just to the front of the net and in the corners but also in the locker room. This team needs someone who can kick their asses in practice and off the ice and get them motivated. There doesn't seem to be anyone that will break sticks or chairs or televisions to wake these guys up. The PP is a mess because everyone wants to be a Harlem Globetrotter rather than do some dirty work at the net. Hornqvist had those abilities and this year's team misses it. Do I understand why he had to go? Yes. The economics just weren't right. But to replace him with Matheson's number as you correctly cite, is a giant loss for the Pens in that trade.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:13 pm

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:14 pm

Also. I’m going to reserve judgement until Jim comes and tells us all what to think.

Someone needs to. Most of the stuff being posted is as wrong as opinion can be.
Phew. Now tell me what to think

I don't own a Jump to Conclusions Mat so it might take me more than a handful of hours to piece together an worthwhile actual point of view on the subject. We've already seem some simply regurgitate things said by professional bloggers instead of forming their own opinions... but I don't just do that.

I like it when people get called out for consistent screw-ups. I am looking forward to less carrot and more stick from Burke.

I hope that Hextall reorganizes the scouting crew, and overall mindset. Remember that this is the scouting crew that allowed for the Reeves trade because they were going to reach and take Lauzon at 31 and knew that he would still be available at 51, so moving the 1st wasn't a problem. I also like the idea of a little salt being added to the Penguins sugar lineup.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:23 pm

There should be a board filter that auto-kills Rossi tweets.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm

Hornqvist should have been a salary dump. Would have rather seen him moved for a 3rd or something to free up 5M. Not to acquire a defenseman who seemingly stinks and who we already had a better option for that role waiting in the ranks.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 pm

So one topic that we haven't really hit yet. Sully. Do these guys keep him around?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Hornqvist should have been a salary dump. Would have rather seen him moved for a 3rd or something to free up 5M. Not to acquire a defenseman who seemingly stinks and who we already had a better option for that role waiting in the ranks.
That was very clearly not an option in this marketpace...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:50 pm

That was very clearly not an option in this marketpace...
Nope. Wish they would have taken back a less worse contract than MMs though. They were better off with 72.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:51 pm

So one topic that we haven't really hit yet. Sully. Do these guys keep him around?
Unless things really go south he stays on for the season. Likely gets revaluated in the offseason. Ownership might not want to eat the contract he just signed however.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:51 pm

Usually you like to either improve the team or the cap situation when you make a trade. Somehow they managed to do neither with that one.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:54 pm

The trade is complete horseshit.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Yeah, that's the part that I dislike the most...this isn't Hartnell for Umberger...it's kind of the opposite...

Also, he turns 27 (so the buyout goes from 1/3 to 2/3) and a modified NTC (lolz) kicks in this offseason as well...at 1/3 buyout, it could kind of make sense...but nah, nope...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Perhaps the thought was they could rehab him enough in a shortened season to flip him when the market looks a little better. Who knows. Don't like either way

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:02 pm

I didn't see it elsewhere, otherwise I'd have found another source. Didn't want to just write "I read...".

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Sully isn't long for this world. He's been around a while as it is. New FO is going to want their own guy.

Or maybe they'll just solve the world's problems by firing all the assistant coaches again.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:16 pm

Sully isn't long for this world. He's been around a while as it is. New FO is going to want their own guy.

Or maybe they'll just solve the world's problems by firing all the assistant coaches again.
Sully has to be near the longest tenure (single stint) as a Pens head coach. Probably just short of Bylsma on calendar (but not in games due the shortened seasons of late). (February 09-May 14 vs December 15-present)

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Sully is safe imo.

relantel

Postby relantel » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:42 pm

Sully is safe imo.
Would think anything but a nosedive would leave him safe.

Looked it up - Sully is 21 games short of Bylsma for single-stint, which is still another 115 games overall to total games coached (EJ). Would think there is no way Sully doesn't pass Bylsma short of a canceled season.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm

I didn't see it elsewhere, otherwise I'd have found another source. Didn't want to just write "I read...".
There's a reason you couldn't find a second person to say it. :slug:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Sully will finish this season here. I can see a mid season firing next year if not a new coach in the offseason.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:53 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:01 pm

lol