Ron Hextall new GM, Brian Burke named Pres of Hockey Ops

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm

Might be worth continuing discussion here...this is not a random Penguin related thing...

If any of the blue people have the ability to move the last few pages over, that'd be cool...if not, no big deal...

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:28 pm

So...Pres of Hockey Ops is really just an advising role...they usually act as a two-way street, especially for non-hockey business people to sell them on a hockey ops move, but also a guy who can translate business objectives down to the GM...there's almost no one I would rather have in that spot than Brian Burke...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:32 pm

From what I've read Hextall likes to keep his cards close to his chest, so Burke can do all the talking with the media perhaps?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:34 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:35 pm

For some of the cotton balls here that are concerned about Burke not being hip to how hockey is played (despite watching Washington and St. Louis just bully their way to Cups recently...and Tampa having to add nothing but grit at the deadline and lose Stamkos to get over the fence finally)...

He was last with Calgary...if you think that Calgary is a tough group, you're out of hand...Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Brodie, Backlund, Hudler, a player named Dougie...that's not a tough group...

Towards the end they added Matthew Tkachuk (great pick) and some guys that are tough to play against like Ferland and Hathaway or whatever...but the Flames are soft as a core...their bottom six is on the tougher side, sure, with those guys, Bennett, whoever else...but he didn't help make a team of knuckle-draggers, so I'm not concerned...

Plus, if your favorite player on this team right now isn't Brandon Tanev, you're a lunatic...Tanev is a Burkie player...

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:36 pm

From what I've read Hextall likes to keep his cards close to his chest, so Burke can do all the talking with the media perhaps?
Yup. Burke can deflect a lot of media out of the way of Hextall...Burke can use the media to float trial balloons, he's tight with the best insider in the league right now, so he can get a good feel for what else is going on out there...he's a good judge of talent and character...

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:38 pm

i like burke. guess he'll be giving up the gig on hockey central at noon

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:39 pm

For some of the cotton balls here that are concerned about Burke not being hip to how hockey is played (despite watching Washington and St. Louis just bully their way to Cups recently...and Tampa having to add nothing but grit at the deadline and lose Stamkos to get over the fence finally)...

He was last with Calgary...if you think that Calgary is a tough group, you're out of hand...Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano, Brodie, Backlund, Hudler, a player named Dougie...that's not a tough group...

Towards the end they added Matthew Tkachuk (great pick) and some guys that are tough to play against like Ferland and Hathaway or whatever...but the Flames are soft as a core...their bottom six is on the tougher side, sure, with those guys, Bennett, whoever else...but he didn't help make a team of knuckle-draggers, so I'm not concerned...

Plus, if your favorite player on this team right now isn't Brandon Tanev, you're a lunatic...Tanev is a Burkie player...
I could not agree more. The carping and worrying about that is silly.

This is the most excited I've been about the Pens' future in a long time.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:40 pm

a player named Dougie
Legit lol’d because I’ve always felt that way about him.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:42 pm

I’ll tell you this:

I’m more interested in this team now
Agreed Chairman. I don’t expect immediate changes, but change is definitely imminent. I also see HCMS being the type of coach Hextall and Burke like, so I think his leash got longer.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:43 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 pm

I yell at the tv whenever I see Dougie.

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:49 pm

Time for the roster to get some truculence

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:50 pm

I yell at the tv whenever I see Dougie.
Me too. Seems like his dad is still making him play.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm

I'm going by his play style as I have no idea what his track record looks like as an exec but I feel like Hextall is gonna try to move us less from finesse and more to toughness, especially since that's the style of the division

I'm open to being told that I'm an idiot by mikey

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:56 pm

mikey/meow/king colby/dickiedunn
wasn't moorehouse more or less DOHO and now burke has stepped in, or is that a stretch?

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:03 pm

I have no idea

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm going by his play style as I have no idea what his track record looks like as an exec but I feel like Hextall is gonna try to move us less from finesse and more to toughness, especially since that's the style of the division

I'm open to being told that I'm an idiot by mikey
Look at the Flyer defense that he had a hand in...Provorov, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, Myers, Friedman...those guys are definitely more finesse than tough...the guys that didn't work out, was the toughest one, Samuel Morin, also the least talented...so he might have learned enough of a lesson just there alone...

Then he hits it out of the park with a guy like Travis Konecny, who is baby Marchand lite...but still in that mold, and a terrific player...so you have two guys that seem to understand that being tough to play against is useful, but don't really try to do it with a bunch of guys that can't play...Matthew Tkachuk, Travis Konency, those guys are tough and can play...we could use that...

And quite frankly, if you were given a poll right now:
A) A completely brand new defense
B) No changes to the defense

I gotta imagine we're choosing A right...? I know those are two extremes, and I don't like extremes to prove a point...but I've been on record for a bit now as just not liking this roster...so I welcome these guys...

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:05 pm

wasn't moorehouse more or less DOHO and now burke has stepped in, or is that a stretch?
I never got the impression Morehouse was more than a business strategy type guy and had little effect on hockey ops...I could be wrong, but that's my impression...

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:08 pm

I never got the impression Morehouse was more than a business strategy type guy and had little effect on hockey ops...I could be wrong, but that's my impression...
i'm basing that on the conjecture/speculation that it was morehouse who fgmjr had a tussle with -one assumes over something hockey operational- if you catch my drift

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:26 pm

My impression was always that Morehouse was GMJR’s
boss, regardless of his hockey acumen. Seems to be changing to Hextall reporting to Burke who reports to Morehouse. Mikey said it earlier, but if that’s the case where PHOBB is filling the gap between hockey and business ops, it’s a good move.

PHOBB also probably realized that Canadian sports media currently is not the place for a steady paycheck.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:31 pm

PHOBB.

*snicker*

meow

Postby meow » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:32 pm

truculence

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:45 pm

The carping and worrying about that is silly.
Just within the past couple weeks, Burke was saying "Outside of all the goals and points, Nylander has done nothing for the Maple Leafs". He's been 100% driving the Leafs should trade Nylander bus because... he doesn't like Swedes? I dunno.

It's this kind of mentality that doesn't sit right with me. The kid's a PPG player for the Leafs but because he doesn't have some imaginary "intangibles" Burke thinks he's a waste.

I'm hoping that doesn't affect the decisions being made by Hextall.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:46 pm

i'm basing that on the conjecture/speculation that it was morehouse who fgmjr had a tussle with -one assumes over something hockey operational- if you catch my drift
I get the feeling Morehouse was the go-between for the GM and ownership and thats who FGMJR had a tussle with but I have nothing to back that up. Just trying to think logically.

It makes me wonder... did the org decide they wanted a POHO and GMJR didn't like that? Would line up with rumors we heard months ago about the Pens bringing in a "big name" for something.