Travel Thread

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 pm

My parents still have their OG trip tik for going to Ocean city. We went there every summer and every time on the trip down I studied the hell out of the trip tik.
When I was a young kid, I LOVED maps. Hell, I still have one of those big Rand McNally Road Atlases that I enjoy opening up now and then. I used to draw interchanges, road maps, etc. on paper on long trips. Even today I am kind of a road dork, when we were out in Salt Lake I was taking photos of the highway signs with Las Vegas/Cheyenne on them.

Apparently it is a thing. You can actually go down some deep Wikipedia rabbit holes about state routes, U.S. routes, interstates, parkways, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadgeek
I'm glad I'm not the only map geek on here. I'd sit there as a kid and study routes to different places and always pay attention on long road trips to signs and always be excited to see cities way outside my Central PA perpsective. Thanks to that, I think it has helped me in planning out routes and finding alternate spots, especially in the hellhole that is Orlando when I'm trying to hopscotch traffic on my way to officiate games.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:28 pm

Not sure if it's ever been discussed on this thread but has anyone been to all 50 states? If not, who's the closest to 50? I've got 44 and the ones I still need to check off are Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire (which is surprising since I lived in CT for 5 years), North Dakota, New Mexico, and Alaska.

PFiDC

Travel Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:35 pm

22. 23 if you count a layover. I honestly would have guessed my number would be lower.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:09 am

I'm pretty low on that number. I figure maybe a dozen states.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:20 am

I don’t care about stats but I’m focusing on national parks. Already have tickets to Grand Teton/Yellowstone in May and Badlands in July

Hit 3 parks in Alaska and 2 in Zona last year

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:20 am

Also I had no idea there was a national park in South Carolina: Congaree

PFiDC

Travel Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:41 am

I don’t care about stats but I’m focusing on national parks. Already have tickets to Grand Teton/Yellowstone in May and Badlands in July

Look up what Grand Teton means.

Bob Ross mentioned it once. He said "I won't tell ya what it means but, you go and look it up if you want. I can't say it on TV".

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:28 am

I have 8 states to go: ND, SD, KS, OK, MT, ID, AK. HI.

I get annoyed with my sister and BIL who drag the kids to Disney every chance they get. So many great places to see in this country let alone the world.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:22 am

I've visited 18 or so states, and honestly have no plans to ever visit a number of the others (namely the center and south of the country). I'm more interested in international travel once my daughter is a little older.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 am

Lucky, Grand Tetons were breathtaking. Absolutely loved that trip. We're heading to Acadia in June. I can't wait.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am

We may hit Hot Springs and Mammoth Cave this year. Have already visited Acadia, Cuyahoga Valley, Grand Teton, Smokey's, Joshua Tree, New River Gorge (just added as a NP in December), Shenandoah and Yellowstone. Acadia and Yellowstone stand out from that group.

All 3 of our kids have a national park themed name or middle name, so their Rites of Passage will be a visit to their park.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:46 am

We may hit Hot Springs and Mammoth Cave this year. Have already visited Acadia, Cuyahoga Valley, Grand Teton, Smokey's, Joshua Tree, New River Gorge (just added as a NP in December), Shenandoah and Yellowstone. Acadia and Yellowstone stand out from that group.

All 3 of our kids have a national park themed name or middle name, so their Rites of Passage will be a visit to their park.
Did you do any biking on the carriage roads in acadia?

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:39 am

Did you do any biking on the carriage roads in acadia?
We didn't. Our son was 9 months at the time. There are some really neat trails in and around the park though.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:42 am

Re states you've visited

I propose a rule that if you did not leave a transportation center (airport, train station, gas station, etc) you did not actually visit that state. For example, I've changed planes in Denver, but I would not count that as a visit to Colorado because I never left the airport.

With that, I've visited 25 states. However, a number of them are states that I've only been to once on my cross-country drive when I moved west; even though we drove through Indiana and Texas, we only got gas and Indiana, and never stopped in TX (we drove through the panhandle). So I don't think it's right to count those states as states I've been to. But I do count Oklahoma because we also got lunch there.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:44 am

My test is whether or not I could have been charged with a felony while there. ;)

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:45 am

Re states you've visited

I propose a rule that if you did not leave a transportation center (airport, train station, gas station, etc) you did not actually visit that state. For example, I've changed planes in Denver, but I would not count that as a visit to Colorado because I never left the airport.

With that, I've visited 25 states. However, a number of them are states that I've only been to once on my cross-country drive when I moved west; even though we drove through Indiana and Texas, we only got gas and Indiana, and never stopped in TX (we drove through the panhandle). So I don't think it's right to count those states as states I've been to. But I do count Oklahoma because we also got lunch there.
I'm with you. I don't count layovers with my state count, so there are a few I still need to hit even though I was technically there

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am

Even with my loose test I don't think I have any states that qualify solely on that requirement other than Maine, maybe. I was conceived in Maine, not sure if that counts. I'll leave that up to the pro life/choice crowds to sort out.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am

Train travel should count. Seeing a state by train is not the same as flying over it.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:54 am

Wish my work trips were more diversified.

PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, CT, MA, RI, ME, LA, IL, GA, FL, SC, TX, KY, OH, WV, VA

Should’ve added TN and MS last year, but Covid
Last edited by blackjack68 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Edit, the link doesn't work. I've visited ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, MD, OH, IN, IL, KY, TN, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD, DE.

A few years ago I thought I had a goal of hitting all of the states (except HI) and Canadian provinces. Then life happened so I probably won't get any further than this.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 pm

You don't think you can find a reason to drive the 4 hours to Michigan at any point for the rest of your life? Yikes.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 pm

You don't think you can find a reason to drive the 4 hours to Michigan at any point for the rest of your life? Yikes.
Somerset has all he could ever need.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:16 pm

I've been to Michigan many times. I don't see a reason to ever return.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Let's see:

PA, OH, WV, NY, NJ, DE, MD, VA, TN, NC, SC, FL, IN, IL, IA, WI, MI, MN, NE, AZ, OR, NV

Unsure if I've been to SD, KY or GA so not counting them
Last edited by willeyeam on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:20 pm

I did way better than I thought.
PA, OH, WV, IN, IL, MI, WI, NY, NJ, DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, KY, TN, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT, KS, NV, CA, HI