Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:59 pm

Ordered my Peloton Bike+. It will be delivered on .... April 2nd. :lol: Right in time for it to be nice enough to bike outside.

In the meantime, I have full access to the Peloton App for off-bike fitness for free.
And I need to find those size 14 shoes/cleats. REI and some other websites had some, for less than what Peloton wanted, so it will probably work out.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:12 pm

IMO buying a Schwinn IC4/Bowflex C6 (it's the exact same bike) is a better value than buying a Peloton bike. using the Kinetic app along with $13 Peloton app and you get all the same metrics of $1k less. the only thing you get with Peloton bike that you don't get with this setup is the Leaderboard. I'm on a cheap (but good) Sunny bike right now but plan on upgrading to Schwinn/Bowflex when I'm 100% confident that I'll stick with it.
as for shoes, there's a Peloton buy/sell group on Facebook where people are always selling bikes and accessories, sometimes brand new.
you also could always swap out the pedals. I prefer SPD cleats myself.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Yeah, I get it. Lots of people seem to be having success working solutions like that. The best review I read compared six alternative bikes as well.

I've been into connected fitness for a while, mostly through Garmin. The appeal for me is having it all in one. I read some pretty comprehensive reviews about how I could replicate the Peloton experience by buying a less expensive but very capable bike and then layering multiple apps and sensors on it to eventually get around to the same result. I'm not price sensitive enough for that to be a concern at the moment. I just want to sit on it and have it work with minimal fanfare and maintenance. One thing that worked against it was that it doesn't connect to MyFitnessPal or Garmin Connect directly, but it will do it with a one-time pass-thru setup with Strava, so, good enough.

Also, when I say all in one, I mean that my commercial treadmill is on its last legs and if my wife and I like the Peloton Bike experience we'll get a Peloton Tread to replace our Star Trac. Another way of making the $39/mo family subscription a better value.

And yeah, I've seen people say the pedals are the worst part of Peloton. Both in the quality of the pedal itself and the choice to go with Look Delta cleats. I'm not sophisticated and could probably get away with caged pedals, hah.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:35 pm

Agreed @dodint. Connected fitness, I'm convinced, is what has gotten me to where I am now. I'm fairly certain that if it was 40 years ago and I was forced to run without earbuds, a GPS watch, and having fun tracking my stats, I would not have stuck with it like I've been able to.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Yeah. No chance I could have ran my marathon without a headset and a watch. I can vaguely remember training for the military with a regular digital watch, where I would calculate splits in my head. I actually wore one of those football armbands with the different split times on it to help me out. So thankful for technology, lol. By the time I ran the marathon in 2009 I had a Garmin Forerunner, one of the very early ones.

I'm re-reading The Hackers Diet to help center my nutrition/CICO effort again. A lot of his book is penicil and paper calculations and recording. He talks about needing to carry a journal, etc. Nowadays my scale sends my weight to Garmin before I even step off of it, and it captures a ton of other metrics. :lol:

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:43 pm

you can't go wrong with Peloton. they are quality machines. right now their company's biggest issue is that they can't get them into the hands of their customers fast enough. I've seen a LOT of people complaining that the day of their delivery, after waiting for 2 months, they're told it'll be 60 more days. Peloton turns around and blames it on the delivery company. meanwhile, most of these people are making monthly payments through some 3rd party credit company and paying $50 a month for a bike they don't even have in their possession yet.
when you get it I'll be interested to hear your thoughts and interested to hear which instructors you like.
I do mostly bike workouts but I have done a few strength classes. my favorite bike instructor so far is Christine D'Ercole. she's a World Champion track cyclist yet she's not a twig. we have similar taste in music and i find her words inspiring. I think she's from PA. she talks about attending Carnegie Mellon.....

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:50 pm

Nice.

I read into their supply issues, hoping they get it ironed out. If not, well, I'm a consumer protection attorney and maybe I can get a class action together. ;)

My wife already pays (albeit, only $5/mo) for a streaming fitness service. Since we have the Peloton App access now for free she can try both side by side. I"m not saying that the Peloton App service is worth it without the bike, but getting into the service ahead of time is nice. She's already looking forward to trying out the yoga routines and the HITT style stuff.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Did my first core workout in 7 years. I hope I can get out of bed in the morning.

mac5155

Health and Fitness

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:52 pm

Yo mac, any update on the Echelon Connect? About to pull the trigger on it.
I just saw this, sorry you should've tagged me.

My wife loves it. Uses it daily. No problems with it and the classes all seem pretty comparable if not identical to peloton.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:05 am

No worries. My wife is also enjoying the bike... especially compared to the old one we had.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:25 pm

it's funny because it's true.....

mac5155

Health and Fitness

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:19 pm

What's everyone who does keto do?

I'm not jumping fully in yet, but I'm just trying to become more conscientious about carb consumption. Been limiting myself to 30 net/day

Been trying chicken and veggies, or steak and veggies, but still get sweetness cravings. Strawberries help on that front. Beef jerky and hard boiled eggs for snacks work well too.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:23 pm

We have a friend who would have frozen grapes on hand to deal with sweetness cravings. No idea if that’s an approved thing though.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Beef jerky is good to snack on. Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries) are good in limited quantities. I do mine semi-frozen, which makes it seem like I'm eating more.

If you're looking at something really sweet, Quest Bars and Atkins PB bars are around 3g net per bar but tend to be heavy on the calories, checking in around 200 cal per bar on a bar that's not all that big. Enlightened ice cream is really carb friendly and seems to taste better than most of the carb friendly ice creams. The PB vanilla ice cream that I have in my freezer is I think 4g per pint.

mac5155

Health and Fitness

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:08 pm

Today was like day 3 or 4. It's getting easier, but I did some PB and celery today to try and fight one off.

I found some nice strawberry smoothie recipes. Strawberry, unsweet almond milk, Greek yogurt.

This ad for Flavor God seasonings keeps popping up on my Facebook...

mac5155

Health and Fitness

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:10 pm

We have a friend who would have frozen grapes on hand to deal with sweetness cravings. No idea if that’s an approved thing though.
Pretty sure one single grape has like half of a net carb so, they're out :lol:

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:20 pm

Maybe just eat one.

mac5155

Health and Fitness

Postby mac5155 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Maybe just eat one.
If I have 1...ill have 13

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Raspberries – Half a cup (60 grams) contains 3 grams of carbs.
Blackberries – Half a cup (70 grams) contains 4 grams of carbs.
Strawberries – Eight medium-sized (100 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs.
Plum – One medium-sized (65 grams) contains 7 grams of carbs.
Clementine – One medium-sized (75 grams) contains 8 grams of carbs.
Kiwi – One medium-sized (70 grams) contains 8 grams of carbs.
Cherries – Half a cup (75 grams or about 12 cherries) contains 8 grams of carbs.
Blueberries – Half a cup (75 grams) contains 9 grams of carbs.
Cantaloupe (melon) – One cup (160 grams) contains 11 grams of carbs.
Peach – One medium-sized (150 grams) contains 13 grams of carbs.

FistOfCaufield

Health and Fitness

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:51 pm

Ordered my Peloton Bike+. It will be delivered on .... April 2nd. :lol: Right in time for it to be nice enough to bike outside.

In the meantime, I have full access to the Peloton App for off-bike fitness for free.
And I need to find those size 14 shoes/cleats. REI and some other websites had some, for less than what Peloton wanted, so it will probably work out.
Same here, April 2nd date, not expecting them to hit that though.

My worry is they are trying to pump these things out so fast that the build quality has suffered. Fingers crossed.

FistOfCaufield

Health and Fitness

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:59 pm

What's everyone who does keto do?

I'm not jumping fully in yet, but I'm just trying to become more conscientious about carb consumption. Been limiting myself to 30 net/day

Been trying chicken and veggies, or steak and veggies, but still get sweetness cravings. Strawberries help on that front. Beef jerky and hard boiled eggs for snacks work well too.
Did it last year and dropped 25lbs in about two months. What I really liked about it, once I got going - appetite was minimal.. no crazy hunger spells or anything like that. Also - added the bonus of really losing that water weight fairly quickly - its nice easy progress... but it can come back from a night of drinking.

Breakfast - I'm eating 3 or so scrambled eggs with cheese and drinking coffee black. There has been time I've used creamer, but that's a few carbs so I cut it out, coffee taste starting to come through.

Lunch I've been liking grilled chicken with salad and ranch dressing.

Dinner - just try to avoid the carbs, have a good protein. Sub in a salad for the crab side. Still can enjoy the big cheeseburger without the bun.

That's it - snacks are minimal because I'm just not hungry. The really fattening things Im eating there would be the cheese, and ranch dressing. I'll throw in bacon once in a while to.

I think people go wrong on keto by loading up the fat, its not necessary and I don't think that will help lose weight. Get your protein, and keep the cards under wraps.

I found I don't have to be super strict on it at this point, although I probably will try to drop another 10 or so lbs here to see what I would look like at that point as I'm in pretty good shape at the moment. If I do happen to go drinking on a weekend and have a slice or two of Pizza, I find I can quickly jump back in and be back at it in 2 or so days at most.

The hard part was giving up pizza, beer, etc.... In the end, the diet was mostly about that - giving up those really bad foods I ate too much of, keto was just a method... and I feel it worked for me because it kept appetite at bay.
Last edited by FistOfCaufield on Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Some folks my wife is training are Peloton people. They said they received theirs earlier than their delivery date. I don't hold hope for that, as I imagine there are a lot of factors in play, like where you live.

It's not a big deal to wait. I just wish they gave us full access to the app instead of the $12/mo level. You can't do profiles at the lower level so the wife and I have to share.

FistOfCaufield

Health and Fitness

Postby FistOfCaufield » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:01 pm

Some folks my wife is training are Peloton people. They said they received theirs earlier than their delivery date. I don't hold hope for that, as I imagine there are a lot of factors in play, like where you live.

It's not a big deal to wait. I just wish they gave us full access to the app instead of the $12/mo level. You can't do profiles at the lower level so the wife and I have to share.
agreed.... my wife does spinning - so this is up her alley... but until then our friends on peloton will marvel at her double workouts and lifting regiment.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:41 pm

agreed.... my wife does spinning - so this is up her alley... but until then our friends on peloton will marvel at her double workouts and lifting regiment.
Did you see the announcement right after we had this exchange? They are going to spend $100 million to start shipping them by air instead of boat. Investors are annoyed but it can only help you and I.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:06 pm

I can see why. I have been the victim of many, many tragic boating accidents.