Health and Fitness

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:54 pm

I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, my wife is a distance runner and I'm a fat guy that runs. We use commercial-grade equipment for its durability. I bought this one used in 2014, from a gym. It's kind of astounding that it's still going since I've moved four times since then and I take it apart each time. Except the first time I drug it through the snow in Wisconsion.

It's a Star Trac S-TRx. A quick search says I can still buy one for $4-6k. ****.

I really hope it's not broke.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 am

Weighed myself yesterday and saw my first below-210 reading. Now down roughly 55 lbs over the last year.
Outstanding!

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:25 pm

My wife found a pack of kettle bells for sale at Aldi in the North Hills this morning. She's super excited for them. 5/10/15lb I think.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:42 pm

Put those right on eBay...take profits.

King Colby

Health and Fitness

Postby King Colby » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm

My wife talked me into agreeing to purchase a Total Gym on QVC. Came with a lot of crap for an extremely discounted price. It came today, the box was about a million pounds.

Not my normal method for working out but this is pretty much the first time in her life she ever actively pursued engaging in physical activity so hard to argue against this one. Guess she wants to expedite dropping the baby weight even though it's mostly gone.

Nuge

Health and Fitness

Postby Nuge » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

I don't know if this should go here or in the cooking/dining thread, but is anyone here following a low sodium diet? Holy **** is it hard to do. I've been in good shape for most of my life and mainly been focusing on calories. Lately I've been a little lightheaded and had a few headaches (which I never get). My blood pressure was elevated and it made me realize how much salt I eat every day. There is a huge amount of sodium in everything.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:05 pm

I think @Faftorial is on a low sodium diet.

Basically, any food that is processed has a ton of sodium in it. As a society, we eat a ton of processed foods...so...lots of sodium in everything.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:08 pm

My wife used to pay close attention to sodium b/c of hereditary blood pressure. Even with medication she wanted to control it. We couldn't buy anything that was 500mg or more per serving, which eliminated a lot of prepackaged foods like soups.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:14 pm

I don't know if this should go here or in the cooking/dining thread, but is anyone here following a low sodium diet? Holy **** is it hard to do. I've been in good shape for most of my life and mainly been focusing on calories. Lately I've been a little lightheaded and had a few headaches (which I never get). My blood pressure was elevated and it made me realize how much salt I eat every day. There is a huge amount of sodium in everything.
Hereditary high blood pressure so I try to eat low sodium to varying degrees of success. The TLDR version of a low sodium diet is be prepared to kiss processed and pre-prepared food goodbye. Even things like grocery store rotisserie chicken is absolutely loaded with sodium.

faftorial

Health and Fitness

Postby faftorial » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 pm

I think @Faftorial is on a low sodium diet.

Basically, any food that is processed has a ton of sodium in it. As a society, we eat a ton of processed foods...so...lots of sodium in everything.
I try not to each too much salt mainly because of water weight gain (vs high blood pressure). The "water" pills keep that in check and I just have to watch for swelling in my neck and ankles.

Nuge

Health and Fitness

Postby Nuge » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:18 pm

I don't really like sweet stuff, so salty snacks are my downfall. I also have a turkey sandwich and pretzels pretty much every day for lunch, which is probably my daily allotment of sodium for the day if not more. I'm looking to start subbing out some stuff with fruit and maybe some veggies. It's just been eye-opening once I started paying attention.

DigitalGypsy66

Health and Fitness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Boar’s Head makes a pretty good low sodium turkey breast, imo

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:30 pm

Common sense to most sane people, but nice to see a large study done on it.

https://www.studyfinds.org/fat-but-heal ... rt-health/
The notion that weight has less bearing on overall health is championed by the body positivity movement, which seeks to end the stigma surrounding being overweight. While fresh analysis of data on more than 520,000 adults does suggest exercise helps to reduce the odds of developing hypertension and diabetes, researchers find being overweight still significantly raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
In fact, compared to inactive normal weight people, those who are active and obese are still around twice as likely to have high cholesterol. These individuals are four times more likely to have diabetes and five times more likely to have high blood pressure.

“One cannot be ‘fat but healthy,'” Dr. Alejandro Lucia from the European University of Madrid declares in a media release.

King Colby

Health and Fitness

Postby King Colby » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:57 pm

Interestingly, I was just instructed to increase my sodium intake

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:05 pm

Sodium/salt is not bad for you in moderation unless you have HBP.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Choosing to die early of fatness is a personal choice. The data is out there, it's commonly known, and to think otherwise is willful ignorance.

Wasting time worrying about their ignorance as a movement is folly, imo.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:02 pm

Choosing to die early of fatness is a personal choice. The data is out there, it's commonly known, and to think otherwise is willful ignorance.

Agree.

AuthorTony

Health and Fitness

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 pm

As I posted before every fat person knows they're unhealthy. They just don't want people to snicker at them when they're in line at the buffet or make mooing noises when they're walking down the street. The whole "fat acceptance" movement arose because people think they have the right to tell all the fatties to lose weight and justify their bullying as "trying to help get them healthy." People need to mind their own business and live their own lives.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Sodium/salt is not bad for you in moderation unless you have HBP.
:thumb:

Yup. Common misconception that sodium intake in and of itself causes HBP. That said, obviously I keep it at reasonable levels

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:09 pm

I agree. Not much different than smoking or drinking to excess. I was overweight for a looooooooong time...

My main concern is not that people are overweight. I'm more worried that the "healthy at any weight" garbage is starting to influence teenagers, which will only worsen the pandemic. People should NEVER be made fun of for their weight, but I also don't want kids being taught that you can be fat AND healthy. "Fatphobia" is absurdity.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 pm

As I posted before every fat person knows they're unhealthy. They just don't want people to snicker at them when they're in line at the buffet or make mooing noises when they're walking down the street. The whole "fat acceptance" movement arose because people think they have the right to tell all the fatties to lose weight and justify their bullying as "trying to help get them healthy." People need to mind their own business and live their own lives.
Also agree with this.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:32 pm

my wife found a used peloton we are purchasing. the guy lives in harrisburg so we are meeting at breezewood to do the exchange. hope i dont get murdered.
Is LITT the only one that has actually gone Peloton? Starting to look into it. When I was in Afghanistan I got absolutely hooked on stationary cycling. And that was just trying to see how far I could go in an hour. Really miss the high intensity low joint impact aspect of it.

The subscription cost is stiff, but my wife would take full use of it which would help justify the recurring cost. Biggest annoyance to me is needing to buy special shoes to ride it, at $150 each pair. And that's if they even have them in size 14.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:40 pm

A number of my investment friends are pton'ers...I can easily solicit information...

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:50 pm

No Delta cleats in size 14, from Peloton or Amazon.

But, the delivery window for a new Peloton is 8-10 weeks so I guess I have time to figure it out.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:21 am

No Delta cleats in size 14, from Peloton or Amazon.

But, the delivery window for a new Peloton is 8-10 weeks so I guess I have time to figure it out.
I was visiting the new office space that our company will eventually be moving to, and noticed that the fitness center has a Peloton. That was surprising.