Home Improvement Thread

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:48 pm

Wouldn't he have to tear open the walls to replace the pipe anyway?
Right now the only visible evidence of a crack is on a visible section of pipe that runs from the kitchen, over top of the washer, then over and behind drywall. The crack is on a jointed piece of cast iron where it comes out from the kitchen and over the to wall. We never really addressed the question of can the jointed piece be replaced because we went from worrying about the cracked piece to talking about tearing out walls very quickly. So I don't really know if the visible crack can be replaced without tearing up the wall.

The only evidence of water damage is a hole in the subfloor, but the hole wasn't moist (twss) and I don't see any evidence of water anywhere else.
My in-laws have a somewhat similar issue, except on their supply line. Noticed wet walls/ceiling and had no choice but to open the walls to replace a section of pipe. Problem is they don't know if it goes beyond that. There's evidence of corrosion on the pipes further down the wall, but was that just run off from the leak above, or another leak?

They're not taking any chances and just going to have the entire pipe replaced instead of just that section. You should probably do the same, but YMMV.

Shyster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:17 pm

I need a new water heater as well. What did you guys go with? Mine right now is an electric 50 gallon tank. We now have a natural gas line to our house, so I'm wondering if I should convert to that. Anybody have a tankless? I'm trying to weigh all my options. Upfront cost vs. potential long term savings.
Depends on your usage of water. The tankless models are more expensive and more complicated to install. If you have a big family or a high need for hot water, however, it can be worth it. For example, do you ever run out of hot water now?

When mine croaked a couple years ago, I looked into the issue and decided it wasn't worth it. I live alone and never exceed the supply of hot water, so I just bought another tanked model. I think mine is a Rheem commercial model. I replaced it through Terry's Plumbing.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:21 pm

I’d argue that a tankless is probably not the way to go for a family. They make hybrid units now that give you the best of both worlds, but I’m not sure how much those cost. I’m assuming quite a bit.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:08 am

Has anyone had issues with water coming into their fridge (on the models with the freezer at top). I think the defrost drain is clogged with ice (I'm assuming) and tried to get boiling water back there to thaw it, but the next morning had another small lake on my fridge shelf.

It's getting very stress inducing.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 am

Not sure about the freezer on top models, but our freezer on bottom model will condensate in the fridge. Usually happens when we keep the Energy Saver on too long.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 am

My wife just commented about the cold kitchen floor and how she hates the vinyl 'tile', so it looks like it's going to be an expensive winter for us. Gonna start looking at tile and underfloor heating now.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:13 am

Tell her to wear slippers.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 am

i'll never go another winter without slippers. <3 my uggs

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 am

Nah, I want the floor done, too. Now that I know she's on board, I'm going to just do it. This is the last major project (major being >$5k) for the house, so I think I should just get it over with.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 am

Sorry, but now I will forever envision you wearing these around the house:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:25 am

We are looking to do flooring this year too

BrokeMonopolyMan.jpeg

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:44 am

Sorry, but now I will forever envision you wearing these around the house:
warm calves are the reason for the season

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 am

I replaced carpet in our family room and dining room and linoleum in our kitchen with plank vinyl a few years ago. We left carpet in our living room and ceramic tile in our entry. We just decided to rip that up and replace it with the same vinyl as the other rooms. Home Depot is running 0% financing now with their credit card, so I'm trying to get everything I'll need through there and finance it over the next year.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:53 am

we have a 12x6 ktichen island that contains our sink. i hate our sink. its undermounted and a similar shape to the image below. is it unreasonable to think we could get a large basin sink and they could cut and polish the granite in place?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am

I would think that your issue here will be the holes for the faucet and handle, as they'd likely be too close to the edge of the basin.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 pm

I don't like our kitchen sink either. It has a white split basin and just doesn't look nice. I am not a fan of the split basin kitchen sink in general, it's aggravating not being able to fit baking pans and what not in there.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:51 pm

I've mentioned it here before but I just don't understand single basin folks. I think mac chimed in for that side last time.

Maybe my opinion is skewed because I don't have a dishwasher.

If such a thing existed I could get by with a design where the two basins were an 80/20 split so I could rinse in the small one. That'd be perfect.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Source of the post Maybe my opinion is skewed because I don't have a dishwasher.
That might be why. I wanted a single basin because the countertop real estate was worth more to me, and I have a dishwasher.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:08 pm

I don't have a dishwasher either, but would never want a double basin. I do have double drainboards though.

Ours is not exactly like this, but close.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 pm

I prefer the split basin for rinsing purposes as well. We own a single huge basin sink which works fine for rinsing as it has a large volume, but would prefer the split.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Whoever redid our kitchen before we bought our house put in a huge single basin farmhouse sink that is deeeeep. We have a dishwasher so we don't use the sink too much other than rinsing some things, or things that don't fit in the dishwasher. With that said I prefer it over the older smaller double basin sink we had at the old house.

Beveridge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:19 pm

We had a leak in our kitchen sink line about 3 years ago so decided to just redo the cabinet space underneath and cut out a little more room for a single basin sink vs the double.

We went with this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay ... /206983557

Love it.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:23 pm

Put me in the double basin camp. Had one at our old house and now have the single basin. I hate not being able to rinse in a separate tub. Especially when the dishes pile up and the water starts to overflow due to multiple rinses.

Real estate is an issue though, so not sure if we'd ever be able to go double if we reno'd our kitchen.

AuthorTony

Home Improvement Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:25 pm

I far prefer the aesthetics of a single basin sink. But, as someone without a dishwasher, it seems like I'd waste a ton of water filling up one huge basin to wash an ordinary amount of dishes/silverware.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Our sink and faucet (pull out) looks almost identical to this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-Lofte ... /305899479