home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:39 am

Actually, on second thought, I may in fact switch that over, because my discount is less than I thought it was. Good timing.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:34 am

Can you strap the TV to the stand instead?

I have my TV attached to my stand, and the stand attached to the wall. Works very well.
Considered that, but the legs are dangling over... oh, I see what you're saying. I could try that. I already have the glass ordered and should have it picked by lunch, but maybe I could add the glass and the straps.

Although if I wanted to, I could just order another stand. Being that I was in a bit of a mood over the lack of progress with the shipping info, Overstock told me "just keep it as a gift" and refunded my money on the stand. So yes, that stand is officially free. Money hit my paypal last night and the credit that I had from Overstock (coincidentally from another order that they screwed up) is now back in my account.

Edit: problem solved.

Last edited by iamjs on Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am

Sony debuts Bravia Core: 4K HDR streaming at "UHD Blu-ray equivalent quality"
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1610039524

Exclusive to Sony's new lineup, specifically the "XR" 2021 8K and 4K LCD TVs as well as "XR" 4K OLED TVs. Sounds promising though.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:53 am

Imagine paying $75 for 100/10 internet. :cry:

I also found another contender for worst streaming service: Acorn TV. I signed up for a week's trial to watch The Detectorists. The app and website cap out at 720p (!), no user profiles, and an annoying glitch where it won't play a previously streamed video. I watched through the series first, and then got my wife to watch it later and had to use all kinds of cookie clearing, new browsers, privacy modes to get her through those 18 episodes. Awful.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:08 am

Source of the post Imagine paying $75 for 100/10 internet.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:23 am

Sony debuts Bravia Core: 4K HDR streaming at "UHD Blu-ray equivalent quality"
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1610039524

Exclusive to Sony's new lineup, specifically the "XR" 2021 8K and 4K LCD TVs as well as "XR" 4K OLED TVs. Sounds promising though.
Any pricing details yet?

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:43 pm

For anyone that has an outdoor TV, do you keep it protected in a case, or did you just buy one that is weather-proof? Keep in mind, that the back of the TV would be potentially exposed to the elements in my setup, and not up against a wall.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:53 pm

When I had one, I just used one of those weatherproof TV covers. It fastened all around the TV with velcro and had a pretty tight fit. It survived one Somerset winter no worse for the wear. I ended up selling the tv only because it never got used.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 am

My neighbor throws a big grill cover over his TV. :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:31 am

We have a 15-year old 47" Toshiba LED that the previous owners just left with the house. It's not a special outdoor TV or anything, but it is mounted to the back wall of the house sort of tucked under the eave of the gutter. We also have an awning/shade structure that runs the full width of the house; but it's fabric, and so on the 5 days a year it rains hard it doesn't really do anything but make a nice noise as the rain hits it. When we upgrade the main TV, we'll move the current VIZIO from the living room to outside duty and pull a Tony and get one of those Velcro covers for it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:24 am

ATTSN Pittsburgh is now officially on Fubo TV

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 pm

I have not received the official email from Apple, but evidently they are extending the free year of Apple TV+ for those users that bought a new Apple phone, tablet, or computer back in November - December 2019 to the end of July.

It was supposed to be a year, until the end of December 2020 (at least for us, when we bought a new iPhone for Christmas last year). Then we got an extension until the end of February. Now, it will be the end of July.

Pretty, pretty, pretty cool. Now I don’t have any idea what’s coming out on it in the next few months, as Ted Lasso hasn’t started filming yet and no word on the Eighth Air Force series from Hanks/Spielberg. But free is nice.

I think we’ll probably bundle it, as we already subscribe to the family Apple Music plan and extra storage.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm

I don't know why but if I do a voice search with my Firestick it changes the input on my TV. Not cool. Does it on at least two of my LG's.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Bought this little 24" Insignia Smart TV with integral Fire Stick today for $99 for the kitchen. Replaced an early flat screen Samsung that was probably 12-13 years old and 4x more expensive. Picture and sound are much better, no cords except for the cable box and blu ray and the box might go depending on how Crapcast does with their new Fire app.

Technology, man.....

Mrs. Franchise of course does not get why the old one needed to be replaced if it had a picture and sound.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2 ... Id=6395125

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Comcast can go suck a big fat ****. Get a text today telling me I'm at 90% of my data cap. Apparently as of January 1st there's now a cap like a cell phone plan. ****ing lit bro thanks for maybe mentioning it or telling me when I paid my bill yesterday. Then again the real question is how the hell have i used 90% of 1.2 TB

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:52 pm

I posted about Comcast's new cap a few months ago. Total BS, and nobody was willing to fight them on it in the past. Hope it changes, because it's garbage.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm

Comcast can go suck a big fat ****. Get a text today telling me I'm at 90% of my data cap. Apparently as of January 1st there's now a cap like a cell phone plan. ****ing lit bro thanks for maybe mentioning it or telling me when I paid my bill yesterday. Then again the real question is how the hell have i used 90% of 1.2 TB
What's your streaming situation? Do you get OTT TV? Any 4K content?

I read a thing one time that one of the biggest 'offenders' here is some streaming apps don't have an auto-off when you power down the TV. So unless you close out of the app or remove the device from the TV, it still registers as an active stream even while you sleep.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:08 pm

Streaming is definitely an issue. I stream twitch and if I fall asleep it'll just go through old streams that are 8+ hours. Around 250 gb is me setting up the new pc with games.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:16 pm

I read that you can get an unlimited data plan for an extra $30 a month, but have no idea if that's actually true.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:02 pm

Streaming is definitely an issue. I stream twitch and if I fall asleep it'll just go through old streams that are 8+ hours. Around 250 gb is me setting up the new pc with games.
Yeah, sleep streaming is real danger. It's kinda fun when I fall asleep on the couch watching YouTube, waking up and seeing the smorgasbord of auto-play videos in my History.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:03 pm

$30/mo is kinda pricey for unlimited. I think for my plans that didn't include unlimited data in the base price the most I've ever paid for unlimited is like $10/mo.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:16 pm

Yeah, sleep streaming is real danger. It's kinda fun when I fall asleep on the couch watching YouTube, waking up and seeing the smorgasbord of auto-play videos in my History.
Yeah I guess I'll be needing to put a dvd on for going to sleep from now on. Website says the fees will be waived for the first two months but still it's nuts. They sent me an email about plan changes but didn't see it specified there was a data cap. Oh well hopefully I'll be moving out of the Comcast area this year.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:42 pm

$30/mo is kinda pricey for unlimited. I think for my plans that didn't include unlimited data in the base price the most I've ever paid for unlimited is like $10/mo.
Yeah, but this is Comcast. And the only reason anyone is with Comcast is because they're the only game in town, so they can charge whatever they want.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:01 pm

Who's ready for another streaming service?
https://www.engadget.com/paramount-plus ... 02061.html
CBS All Access’ days are numbered... in name, at least. ViacomCBS has revealed that Paramount+, its expansion and rebranding of All Access, will launch in the US on March 4th. The streaming service will come to Nordic countries on March 25th, Australia in mid-2021, and Canada later in the year (although Canadians will see the rebrand right away).

Paramount+ is ultimately a bid to compete with NBCUniversal’s Peacock, Disney+, HBO Max and other network-oriented rivals.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:04 pm

Nobody.