Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:56 pm

it's turdy that Biden and Kamala are saying those things. They're not technically wrong, but they don't have to campaign anymore and saying those things are going to piss people off rather than heal
Not saying anything would all piss off people.
I don't think they should say nothing either. Condemn what happened yesterday. Tell the people they are going to search for and punish the people that did this. That this is not America.

But when they are saying that authorities just "let them in" and comparing the riots from the summer to this, whether you believe things were treated equally or not is just going to keep the divide.

I mean people were gassed yesterday, a person was shot and killed by the police, I've seen plenty of clips of the officers, that were overwhelmed, still trying to fight back against the mob, using fist, battons, etc, just like the summer riots. Hell, a lot of officers were hurt trying to stop them.

It's just going to keep the divide going.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 pm

I don't think it's as big an issue that you do, apparently.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm

I do, but I might be overdramatizing it

idk, I'm curious what other people think. What's the end game of modern politics? is Trump losing the end of radical rightists?

where are we, as a nation or as a society in general headed? People in general are becoming much more radical about their beliefs.

where does this chart lead us? I doubt it's going to get better before it gets worse still

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Probably because it's "your side" saying. And I'll be honest, I do the same.

But look at the videos that Freddy just posted on the previous page. If had no context to that, remove the MAGA stuff, and we said that was at a BLM protest, I think a lot of people would be pissed how the officers handled that.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 pm

My beliefs haven't really changed throughout Pissbaby's disaster of a Presidency. None of the bullshit him and his supporters spew has pushed me to the 'radical' left, and I'd like to think that this is in line with most people. It'd also help to define radical, because that term is thrown out far too casually, IMO.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:05 pm

My beliefs haven't really changed throughout Pissbaby's disaster of a Presidency. None of the bullshit him and his supporters spew has pushed me to the 'radical' left, and I'd like to think that this is in line with most people. It'd also help to define radical, because that term is thrown out far too casually, IMO.
everyone on this board is generally moderate but are not a cross section of this country

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:06 pm

I do appreciate in Biden's campaign how he hammered the "let's work together, we're not two parties, we're one nation" stuff but saying that and doing that is completely different

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:06 pm

I do appreciate in Biden's campaign how he hammered the "let's work together, we're not two parties, we're one nation" stuff but saying that and doing that is completely different
Why can't Biden find common ground with the Sedition party? At least we know, if there is room to find compromise with traitors, Biden is best positioned over the other options we had in the primary.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:08 pm

During Biden's acceptance speech, he spoke about the political divide and trying to get back to thinking about one America. I'm all in on that. At the same time, I also believe that if that were BLM instead of MAGA, the entire situation would've been handled differently, starting with the level of police presence at the Capitol before the march even arrived. Should that be brought up by the President & VP elect? Meh, it definitely isn't helping bridge that political divide.

What I can't get behind is that now that the Dems are in control, they're expected to bridge the divide. Will that happen when the Republicans regain control? There are a lot of politics that require a bit of "good faith" and to me it seems pretty damn unreasonable to require good faith from the newbies after 4 years of Trump's GOP. But, again, it needs to happen. We need to get back to some level of bi-partisan lawmaking where it's not just about who's side proposed it but whether or not it's actually good for the people. This is a long winded nothing.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

again, where are we going politically as a country? do you guys think the beliefs that lead to Trump's rise is going to dissipate if Biden and Kamala say what they said in those tweets?

I don't think so. I think it'll be worse.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

There was almost a fight last night in the house chambers because Conor Lamb said the fraud claims were lies. Which was 100 percent the truth. I’m not sure how you can really act like the Dems need to meet the Rs on that side of crazy

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Biden certainly has his work cut out for him, and he should make an honest effort to unite the country, even though there's little chance of converting the mindless members of that cult. He and the Democrats also have no excuses if they don't push real policies that help everyone, as much as possible in the first two years.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:12 pm

I just don't see either party reaching across the aisle anymore. I honestly don't know if they should, I'd rather just see new types of parties.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:12 pm

Source of the post do you guys think the beliefs that lead to Trump's rise is going to dissipate if Biden and Kamala say what they said in those tweets?
Only time will tell if the effect Pissbaby has had on his cult will dissipate, but no, I do not think what Biden and Kamala said are going to be anything more than a blip on their radar - especially right now.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:13 pm

again, where are we going politically as a country? do you guys think the beliefs that lead to Trump's rise is going to dissipate if Biden and Kamala say what they said in those tweets?

I don't think so. I think it'll be worse.
Hollow out the GOP, force the party to extinction, dissolve the two party system. It is completely incompatible with half the political structure of the country willing to tank everything.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:15 pm

Guys. I think the terrorists were MAGA posing as ANTI-FA disguised as MAGA. It's genius, stable.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:16 pm

There is no unity available with MAGA. I don’t know why anyone would think otherwise or at what point people will understand that about 30% of the country is unreachable and irredeemable. Ignore their demands and offer them infrastructure and education until it finally sinks in that these things are useful. Until then, you treat them like the children they are and do grown up things.

The Wall Street republicans don’t need or care about this unity stuff. They’ll side with the party that’s going to make them more money. And destabilizing the country does negate that sweet tax relief.

And the last bit of the GOP that you see in this thread can keep fighting the good fight but won’t be consequential beyond House and state/local elections.

What people are really saying is that the red baseball cap people are too dangerous to make upset, so don’t do anything that will inflame them. But they’re going to be inflamed regardless.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm

What people are really saying is that the red baseball cap people are too dangerous to make upset, so don’t do anything that will inflame them. But they’re going to be inflamed regardless.
Or, "don't make me side with the red hats by stating uncomfortable truths about the racial stuff"

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:20 pm

One thing that I should say, which I assumed was self-evident, but I guess that's what you get when you assume... I don't want them to treat MAGA people like they treat BLM people. I want the exact opposite. I want them to treat BLM people like they treat MAGA people when they start breaking through barricades outside of buildings or mouthing off to cops or what have you...

Yes, I know there are videos of pepper spray, and gas canisters, and whatever else you want to show. But there are also clips of just letting them be, when the exact same situation occurs in other protests, they get sprayed, rubber bulleted, cuffed, beat, etc.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:23 pm

Yes. Peaceful protests? Go for it. Start breaking ****? Break it all up and arrest everyone, and do it the same no matter who is causing the issues. This isn't a big ask.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:24 pm

Several decades of complete immersion in right-wing media disinformation has led to a significant percentage of the country now living in an alternate reality. Not sure how you fix that other than cult deprogramming.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:26 pm

One thing that I should say, which I assumed was self-evident, but I guess that's what you get when you assume... I don't want them to treat MAGA people like they treat BLM people. I want the exact opposite. I want them to treat BLM people like they treat MAGA people when they start breaking through barricades outside of buildings or mouthing off to cops or what have you...

Yes, I know there are videos of pepper spray, and gas canisters, and whatever else you want to show. But there are also clips of just letting them be, when the exact same situation occurs in other protests, they get sprayed, rubber bulleted, cuffed, beat, etc.
There are also plenty of videos of cops letting BLM people do the same.

BLM protests cost over $2 Billion worth of property damage, and went on for three months.

This goes back to the whole story of snippets telling stories that we want to see.

I realize I feed into that with my lazy posting.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Several decades of complete immersion in right-wing media disinformation has led to a significant percentage of the country now living in an alternate reality. Not sure how you fix that other than cult deprogramming.
I doubt they'd accept it

not to mention, this country has had a significant race issue since...literally forever.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:29 pm

Perhaps it would help if the Republicans made any sort of attempt to assist in the matter.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:29 pm

A QAnon promoter stormed the Capitol. Now, he's upset people are saying he's 'antifa'
https://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/q ... 852663.php