Health and Fitness

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:15 pm

I bought this off of Amazon back in June or July and for the price it is very good. It rides smooth. No crazy fancy screen (just the basics), but I use my garmin to track stuff anyways.

Just bought the same bike on an Amazon lightning deal. I've been riding a regular Schwinn bicycle using an indoor "trainer" stand, but it's big and loud, and I think the bearings on the bike (bought at Walmart for less than $200) might be wearing out.
It's been holding up well for me and I use it 30-40 minutes/ day probably 5 times a week or so.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:01 am

A foot injury a couple of months back that has made running impossible, combined with Mrs. Dunn's first trimester food cravings, has turned the weight loss of everyone's favorite poster into an impressive weight gain. So, with Prime Day ahead, $300ish stationary bike (like recently discussed in this topic) or $300ish rower? I'm not the biggest fan of bikes and prefer rowers, but stationary bikes at this price range seem like a better buy than the magnetic resistance rowers and any research into lower end rowers ultimately leads to some **** nerd telling you to hold out until you find someone within a 10,000 mile radius selling a 30 year old Concept 2 rower for a steal of a price at 800 bucks.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:12 am

I’ll see if pat Narduzzi runs virtual spinning classes and buy you the platinum package as a 5af baby shower gift, Dunn

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:38 am

All of that just seems unpleasant.

mac5155

Health and Fitness

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 am

I half caved. I bought my wife the Echelon Connect bike for $497. I'm going to upgrade our living room TV and that means I'll be putting a 32" TV from the bedroom in the basement, so I'm hoping she can use the app on her iPhone and mirror it to the screen (as her main concern was she wouldn't have a screen).

I just hope she gets over it not being a peloton quickly :lol:

Going to surprise her in a few weeks once I get it all set up.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am

Yo mac, any update on the Echelon Connect? About to pull the trigger on it.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:54 pm

In case anyone wondered fitness equipment is still scarce and outrageously expensive. I am buying a hex bar for deadlifts and wanted at least one more set of 45lb+ plates to leave on it all the time but OH MY GOD WHAT THE **** THIS STUFF IS EXPENSIVE ON THE NEW AND USED MARKETS, like $3+ a pound.

Local Dicks has one (1) 45lb plate in stock. How is that even possible?

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:25 am

I may want to go towards resistance bars/bands...I don't plan on being in a gym for another six months...

Bench and squats via resistance would be nice...

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:39 am

In case anyone wondered fitness equipment is still scarce and outrageously expensive. I am buying a hex bar for deadlifts and wanted at least one more set of 45lb+ plates to leave on it all the time but OH MY GOD WHAT THE **** THIS STUFF IS EXPENSIVE ON THE NEW AND USED MARKETS, like $3+ a pound.

Local Dicks has one (1) 45lb plate in stock. How is that even possible?
Yup. I've been wanting to buy a squat rack, barbell, plates etc. since June but I refuse to pay extra for a second hand product.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:24 am

Has anyone dicked around with resistance bars/bands...? I miss squats and I'm not buying a rack...I also could always stand to improve my bench press ability (which stinks)...but I can't tell if these are actually a good buy...like, will I actually be able to squat in this rubber banded pose...?

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:33 pm

Not sure, let me ask my wife.

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:54 pm

:lol:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:05 pm

;)

She actually does a HITT routine with resistance bands so the comment wasn't entirely in jest. I think she is training more for functional mobility and to get tone, not strength per se.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Not that my earlier post needed any proving, but I just looked and I paid $278 for my 300lb weight set in late 2017 from Amazon. Same exact product is $790 on Amazon right now. Wow. :shock:

mikey

Health and Fitness

Postby mikey » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:05 pm

Yeah, it's crazy how much this stuff costs now...gyms would be better off selling their equipment on Craigslist and buying new stuff when this is all over...

For the record, I was looking at products similar to this: https://homeprogym.com/products/homepro ... 8QQAvD_BwE

I just can't tell if that's a foolish buy or not...

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:50 pm

anybody here using non-crazy expensive spin bike with either Peloton app or Apple Fitness+?

I'm doing the 2 free months on Peloton and I also just realized that because my Apple Watch had a warranty replacement in early October that I qualify for the 3 free months of Apple Fitness+ but haven't activated that yet.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:18 pm

anybody here using non-crazy expensive spin bike with either Peloton app or Apple Fitness+?

I'm doing the 2 free months on Peloton and I also just realized that because my Apple Watch had a warranty replacement in early October that I qualify for the 3 free months of Apple Fitness+ but haven't activated that yet.
What has your experiences with Peloton been like? I purchased whatever stationary bike was recommended on here a couple months ago, but find going into the basement and aimlessly peddling for 30 minutes to not be very motivational.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Health and Fitness

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:11 pm

I’ve only watched peloton videos and was surprised at how uninteresting they were compared to in studio classes

MR25

Health and Fitness

Postby MR25 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 pm

I started doing virtual workouts with the trainer I was going to prior to the lockdowns.

I did legs on Monday (for the first time since March 9) and I'm still sore from it 6 days later.

Shyster

Health and Fitness

Postby Shyster » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:01 pm

I've been keeping up with the bicycle riding on that Yosuda stationary bike, usually between 30 and 40 minutes per day. The bike is holding up great, although I wish I had the ability to move the handlebars a little closer. I don't use any exercise app. I just put my tablet on the tablet holder and watch random videos on YouTube while riding.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 pm

What has your experiences with Peloton been like? I purchased whatever stationary bike was recommended on here a couple months ago, but find going into the basement and aimlessly peddling for 30 minutes to not be very motivational.
I'm only 2 days in but so far I like it. prior to this I would ride my ancient spin bike during hockey games. basically ride for 1 period. might go faster or add resistance during PP and would hop off during TV timeouts and do 10 pushups and 10 squats.
with Peloton I have been enjoying the music and so far, the 2 instructors. I really found the music to be more motivating than I thought. I also enjoy the different resistance (though I'm just guessing since my bike isn't a Peloton) and trying to keep up with the cadence. I did find an accessory that works with the Peloton app that should display my cadence on the app screen. it arrives from Amazon tomorrow.
so far I prefer the empty studio classes over the older "live" classes. I just feel the instructors are more focused.
the Peloton app includes way more than just spin classes. they've got strength, cardio, stretching, running, outdoor walks, yoga, meditation, stretching.
it's really a lot for $13 a month.

cadence accessory:

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 pm

I've been keeping up with the bicycle riding on that Yosuda stationary bike, usually between 30 and 40 minutes per day. The bike is holding up great, although I wish I had the ability to move the handlebars a little closer. I don't use any exercise app. I just put my tablet on the tablet holder and watch random videos on YouTube while riding.
That’s the one I got. Took me about a month to find a seat position that didn’t make me miserable. Handlebar position is still an annoyance but one I can more easily live with.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:10 pm

I started running on April 6 of this year. For the rest of 2020, I ran a total of 444 miles over a period of 62 hours and 20 minutes, and walked about 400 more. Really proud of that... I've never stuck with it like this. About 5 or 6 miles threeish times a week is perfect for me.

I've also gotten my normal pace down under 8 minutes. I can typically get in 5 or 6 miles at about a 7:40 pace on average. I was a bit over 9 minutes in the spring. Honestly can't believe I've come this far. I'm keeping it up through the winter which I knew would be the hardest thing.

Goal for 2021 is 700 miles.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:12 pm

I'm only 2 days in but so far I like it. prior to this I would ride my ancient spin bike during hockey games. basically ride for 1 period. might go faster or add resistance during PP and would hop off during TV timeouts and do 10 pushups and 10 squats.
with Peloton I have been enjoying the music and so far, the 2 instructors. I really found the music to be more motivating than I thought. I also enjoy the different resistance (though I'm just guessing since my bike isn't a Peloton) and trying to keep up with the cadence. I did find an accessory that works with the Peloton app that should display my cadence on the app screen. it arrives from Amazon tomorrow.
so far I prefer the empty studio classes over the older "live" classes. I just feel the instructors are more focused.
the Peloton app includes way more than just spin classes. they've got strength, cardio, stretching, running, outdoor walks, yoga, meditation, stretching.
it's really a lot for $13 a month.

cadence accessory:
Gracias. I’ll check it out. Indoor cardio has never held my interest and running outside when it’s below 50 degrees is also an issue, so making this work is probably my best bet.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:18 am

The Yosuda bike is on sale on woot for $250 today. Just an FYI for anyone.

We got the echelon bike from walmart over the holiday deals. My wife seems to like it. I have yet to try it out, but it comes with 6 free months of classes.