Movie Thread

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm

‘I want to **** yinz like an animalll’ still works.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:38 am

Found this gem on r/ShittyMovieDetails:
In Wonder Woman 1984 (2020), Diana Prince (Gal Godot) tells Max Lord (Pedro Pascal) that she doesn't own a TV. Later in the film, it is revealed that Diana in fact owns many TVs. This is an ironic twist because, despite carrying the Lasso of Truth, Wonder Woman is a **** liar.
:lol:
Haha, my 9 year old yelled this same thing out when that scene popped up

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 am

Watched fellowship of the ring EE 4k disc last night. Absolutely blown away by the A/V. If you got a system to crank it, this is the disc to do it and I'm guessing it's going to get better as the movies go along. Easily my top 4k disc of the year. This is also my favorite movie of the trilogy. That movie is so damn good. We also all dressed up as wizards and elfs as we watched it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:52 am

Oh man

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:34 am

Would it make you feel better if it was apologetic about its blackness?
It was just a weird way to hear a movie described. I really enjoy cultural stuff like that (hence why I liked Coco as much as I did), and I think that kind of stuff is great for the kids too. I thought the term was weird for the exact reason you mentioned. Since when does a movie (or any piece of art, for that matter) have to apologize for that?

I know everyone here is trying to make this a gotcha thing, I just thought it was a strange way to describe a Pixar movie.
I am very confused. The main characters were black. This is like saying Downton Abbey is unapologetically white.

Absent the context of the article, I can't tell if it was someone applauding Pixar for being bold enough to do an animated movie with black characters, or someone complaining that their kids wanted to watch a movie about black people. Either way, the take is monstrously stupid, and you've made us all dumber by reciting it here.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:36 am

Re: downton Abby:

It is, though...

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:39 am

For the score keepers, here is an article with the director of Downton Abby discussing whether he should have to apologize for it being unapolegitically white: https://www.insider.com/downton-abbey-w ... ple-2019-9

Freddy Rumsen

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:40 am

I don't understand why a descriptor of "bold" needs given we've had several Disney and Pixar movies that were mostly black and there have been hundreds of movies and television shows that fit that description.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:40 am

You don’t understand it, because it isn’t necessary. I don’t get it either.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:58 am

For the score keepers, here is an article with the director of Downton Abby discussing whether he should have to apologize for it being unapolegitically white: https://www.insider.com/downton-abbey-w ... ple-2019-9
What an astounding rabbit hole of stupid. Some absolute moron at Salon.com wrote about how Downton is about rich conservative people. Imagine what an absolute baby-brain you'd have to be, to be watching Downton, and think it's some kind of profound insight to notice that the freaking English landed gentry characters are conservative, and how can liberals like a show that espouses conservative opinions. And so the insider story is asking the director about the "criticism", who handled the question about as politely dismissive as imaginable in that scenario.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:59 am

Yeah. It was the least dumb of the dumb articles that were returned when I searched "Downtown Abby too white."

Freddy Rumsen

Movie Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm

And Downton Abbey has a pretty openly gay character that makes out with a dude in the first episode.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:04 pm

I don't understand why a descriptor of "bold" needs given we've had several Disney and Pixar movies that were mostly black and there have been hundreds of movies and television shows that fit that description.

Over the last couple years we have been getting movies and shows that are putting more stress on being (insert perceived social issue here)-centric than being any level of quality entertainment, or quality educational medium. Some of the movies/shows just are... and some they makers feel the need to spotlight that x-centric ness to pat themselves on the back more. Then, if the movie/show fails they can say it is because of X-ism in society, as opposed to the fact that they didn't put much importance on making an actual good movie show, just an x-centric movie or show.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:05 pm

I can understand where shaf is coming from. If Soul is a good story that has mostly black characters then it is an experience that is different than a movie that features a story about being black. The latter would resonate a lot less in a white household like shaf's, just by its nature.

In the same way that a story with gay characters is more enjoyable than a story about characters being gay where that is their only personality trait and plot driver when most of the audience is not-gay.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:13 pm

I can understand where shaf is coming from. If Soul is a good story that has mostly black characters then it is an experience that is different than a movie that features a story about being black. The latter would resonate a lot less in a white household like shaf's, just by its nature.

In the same way that a story with gay characters is more enjoyable than a story about characters being gay where that is their only personality trait and plot driver when most of the audience is not-gay.
I agree that it is a reasonable question to ask, my issue is with the take. The movie is about one's purpose in life, centered around a black jazz musician, if you're take from a movie with a black character is that it's "unapologetically black", you're either genuine dumb person, or paid to generate hate reads, like the people paid to call Downton Abbey too white.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:48 pm

Oh man

I am excited as hell for this. I love every single one of those movies, including 3 and 4. Bring back Leo Getz and all will be good.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:53 pm

I agree that it is a reasonable question to ask, my issue is with the take. The movie is about one's purpose in life, centered around a black jazz musician, if you're take from a movie with a black character is that it's "unapologetically black", you're either genuine dumb person, or paid to generate hate reads, like the people paid to call Downton Abbey too white.
I appreciate both of these responses. My wife and I have actually tried really hard to expose our daughter to works from different cultural backgrounds, because growing up in rural Lancaster County, she obviously is not going to have much exposure to that in her social circles (with the exception of her two best friends across the street, who are mixed-race). I'm happy Pixar has done more of that lately, and done it in a way that isn't hamfisted.

That phrase just seemed like a bizarre way to describe a Pixar movie, which prompted my question. I'm looking forward to it.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:01 pm

I think you’ll enjoy it.

I’ve been seeing a lot more woke thinkpieces - on a variety of issues - that are designed to drive traffic to media sites for ad revenue and comments, which drives more interactions and so on. The Atlantic is horrible about this, taking a contrary position on nearly everything in the pop culture sphere, just to drive traffic and “discussion.”

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:16 pm

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:22 pm

Or go and **** warn the rest of us.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:26 pm

Or just go to new Zealand

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:56 pm

Oh man no

Gaucho

Movie Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:44 am

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:36 am

We also had a bottle of Veuve to celebrate the demise of 2020.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:51 am

I have no idea who that is or what Veuve is.