Job and General Employment Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:09 pm

I can't wait to get out of there. My contract makes that not easy. But one of these days

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Our virtual party was leadership asking us to join a call with a whacky sweater or hat and our pets...

Nobody talked the entire time and it was basically the leaders calling on people to answer questions about their pets minus the teacher pets.

Just don’t have one. That’s top cringe and thank god I was on PTO.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:48 am

lol, speaking of critical items being requested during the freeze. The amount of people trying to fill calendars with strategic meetings, two days before mostly all of us leave for vacation for two weeks is hilarious.

I've sent 4..."is this really that critical, or can it wait like everything else is right now." Answer usually is, "oh this is for something next year, no rush, just wanted to get a conversation in now."

Do you really think anyone wants to discuss anything at this point? lol

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 am

I’m as loyal a person as there is, but I’ll jump ship at a better opportunity without batting an eye. That said, my job is so niche that I would 100% have to relocate my family. That ain’t happening.
translation: the meow family enjoys eating hamburgers and quesadillas at cookout too much

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:54 am

I just declined a meeting with a peer with this in the message

meow

Postby meow » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 am

I’m as loyal a person as there is, but I’ll jump ship at a better opportunity without batting an eye. That said, my job is so niche that I would 100% have to relocate my family. That ain’t happening.
translation: the meow family enjoys eating hamburgers and quesadillas at cookout too much
Where else can you replace your side item with ANOTHER BURGER? You tell me where. Tell me right now.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 am

Where else can you replace your side item with ANOTHER BURGER? You tell me where. Tell me right now.
Nowhere. That place is heaven.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:06 am

I just declined a meeting with a peer with this in the message
EXACTLY how I feel about my gripe above.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:10 am

My buddy at my previous employer who was “promoted” to my position (told they needed him to keep his current operations responsibilities but they would move him into my office and give him a $5k raise to help cover the $25k pay gap between the two positions) just put in his two week notice this morning.

I can’t stop laughing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:11 am

Merry Christmas to him.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:30 am

lol, speaking of critical items being requested during the freeze. The amount of people trying to fill calendars with strategic meetings, two days before mostly all of us leave for vacation for two weeks is hilarious.

I've sent 4..."is this really that critical, or can it wait like everything else is right now." Answer usually is, "oh this is for something next year, no rush, just wanted to get a conversation in now."

Not only that, but literally no one will remember anything that was discussed, so you'll get to do it all again on the other side.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:36 am

I've answered one email since putting up my OOO on Friday. One more than I intended to...no more. Im not looking at email till 1/4/21.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:41 am

Not only that, but literally no one will remember anything that was discussed, so you'll get to do it all again on the other side.
Exactly, this person sent me 12 questions in an email that were answerable by email AND a 1 hour meeting. I replied to the questions over the weekend, and just did the song and dance above, come on people.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:30 am

I've answered one email since putting up my OOO on Friday. One more than I intended to...no more. Im not looking at email till 1/4/21.
:thumb:

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:03 pm

My buddy at my previous employer who was “promoted” to my position (told they needed him to keep his current operations responsibilities but they would move him into my office and give him a $5k raise to help cover the $25k pay gap between the two positions) just put in his two week notice this morning.

I can’t stop laughing.
When I got let go from my last job, they told me they were keeping the guy that I was training because he was cheaper. I had no hard feelings about it. I had one foot out the door and at one point was taking interviews while at work anyways. I even joked with the guy saying that me getting called to an empty meeting room on a Friday means that he'll be in charge by the end of the day.

I kept in touch with him for a few months after I let go. Prior to him canceling FB he told me that he jumped ship less than six months after I left. I may have said that I didn't have hard feelings, but that doesn't mean I don't laugh every time I tell the story. From my understanding, it was a rotating door of temps and crosstraining until they announced they were closing up shop last year.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:05 pm

My director at my last job is still angry about me laughing at them having three guys do my job when I quit, and that was over 7 years ago. Which makes me laugh even harder.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm the only one on my team of 20 that didn't take vacation time this week. I got more done today than I did all of last week. And that's with spending way too much time on this board. Nice not having a barrage of random Teams messages and pointless meetings.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Yup, so looking forward to next week when the bulk of my team is out.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:18 pm

I'm the only one on my team of 20 that didn't take vacation time this week. I got more done today than I did all of last week. And that's with spending way too much time on this board. Nice not having a barrage of random Teams messages and pointless meetings.
I killed the teams process because I hate being bombarded with alerts. Now they email the alerts to me once a day with "Here's what you've missed" in the title of the email. Annoying.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:20 pm

You can disable all of those alerts in the app and in your O365 account, FWIW.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:23 pm

You can disable all of those alerts in the app and in your O365 account, FWIW.
:thumb:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:37 pm

I had 2 meetings on the books today. Woke up, walked into my office, and cancelled both.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:22 pm

Yup, so looking forward to next week when the bulk of my team is out.
One thing we agree on. I love working the week between Christmas and New Year's. Half-ass city.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Today is the first weekday I’ve had off work since February 21. Feels weirs

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:47 pm

why are you so busy at work