Non Political Current Events Thread

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:43 am

Correct. Comp guy checking in. Tipped wages are a real PITA. Any time you are paying someone a rate and have to do a true up later, its never worth it from an administrative perspective. Just pay your people, people.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:20 pm

When I did payroll, I hated places with tipped employees. A couple paid all their staff the minimum wage and tips were a bonus.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:41 pm

When I was at ENP the game for the servers was to try to declare just as much tips as you could without having to be allocated. Pay the least amount of taxes without being allocated, basically. Which is why I've always tipped on a card since then.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:42 pm

I miss ENP.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Speaking of Eat N Park, I’m going to tip those waiters/waitresses way more percentage wise than somebody at say Ruth Chris. They are doing the same job, and sometimes more. Pay them the damn money.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Belmont: $15.90
Daly City: $15.00
Hayward: $15.00
Novato: $15.00
San Diego: $14.00
Santa Clara: $15.65
Santa Rosa: $15.20
For context (which I note for the record you certainly did not solicit), all of those cities except Sahn Deeahgo are in counties that touch the SF Bay. Daly is basically where we lived, just south of the City. Belmont is sort of mid-Peninsula near where I worked, and is adjacent to where Oracle's HQ is (for the time being). Novato is in Marin Co and is where Lucasfilm used to be located. Santa Clara is where the 9ers play, next to San Jose, and is so far from SF they're almost not technically in their own home media market. Hayward is East Bay and is sort of janksville. Santa Rosa is in Sonoma wine country, and we hope to retire to that area when the time comes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:24 pm

What a underwhelming series of unsolicited factoids.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 pm

I just tried to capture the spirit of the thing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:18 pm

I have very early onset dementia I think.

I thought you were expounding on the Tweet in the COVID thread showing ICU capacity around SF. :face:

Couldn't figure out what your point was. :|

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:22 pm

I have that problem myself sometimes. (Figuring out what my point is)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:11 am

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -the-alarm
Midtown Is Still Empty, and Landlords Are Sounding the Alarm
Developer Aby Rosen would really like this whole work-from-home thing to be temporary. And by the way you should see what he’s done with the Chrysler Building.

Usually, but not now. The concourse is tomblike. The whole building is quiet. During an hourlong tour, Rosen encounters only one tenant, Peter Shaerf, a managing director at the merchant banking firm AMA Capital Partners, who sits alone at his desk on the 67th floor. “Someone’s got to be here in the pandemic,” he says.
Shaerf loves the Chrysler Building. But he tells Rosen that after 16 years, AMA is leaving. “You’re charging us too much money,” he says. “We can’t afford to stay.”
“Hey, if you leave, trust me, the line to take this space will be pretty long,” Rosen parries.
“I hope so,” Shaerf says.
“Don’t leave,” Rosen says, heading for the elevator. “Pay the high rent. Come on!”
Then he lowers his voice and says, “See what I have to deal with every day?”

This is making New York’s most powerful landlords anxious. Some, such as Scott Rechler, chief executive officer of RXR Realty LLC, which owns some of the city’s most prominent towers, have called tenants, urging them to summon their employees back to the office. Rechler argued in early fall that businesses should be stepping up during the pandemic the way they did after Sept. 11, when it was considered patriotic to continue working and shopping in Manhattan despite the shadow of terrorism. “It feels with this virus that many of the companies have surrendered,” he said.
These people can all **** right off.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:13 am

In general, I think landlords have been unfairly demonized in recent years as a whole. That said, lol at these guys comparing it to post 9/11.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:16 am

Demonized? Skyrocketing leasing costs pre-pandemic, which forces smaller businesses - we like those, right - to pack up and leave so that big chains can move in and afford the rent, and now trying to get tenants to bring people back into the office during a pandemic? Yeah, poor them.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:18 am

Demonized? Skyrocketing leasing costs pre-pandemic, which forces smaller businesses - we like those, right - to pack up and leave so that big chains can move in and afford the rent, and now trying to get tenants to bring people back into the office during a pandemic? Yeah, poor them.
Sorry should have been more specific. Was talking about small time landlords. Not these corporate schmucks.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:33 am

Okay, that’s different then - I’m most definitely talking about the bigger firms.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:43 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:47 pm

**** that clown. Lyrics in a song are all fair game, period.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:05 pm

What I get out of that article is that if you’re a white father of a mixed-race child and you’re ignorant to the idea of white privilege, then you are incredibly dense.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Mr. Galligan is a colossal douchebag. He made a premeditated decision to ruin another person's college plans and dreams over a slur. A slur that not only wasn't directed at him, but a slur that wasn't directed at any black person at all. And he's not sorry in the slightest. To the contrary, he's "satisfied that" he "taught someone a lesson.” He intentionally harmed another person who had not harmed him.

I fervently hope that a similar lesson awaits Mr. Galligan in the future, and if anyone has an opportunity to teach Mr. Galligan that lesson, they do so with the same restraint and consideration that he showed.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Yeah, that's a way more egregious act than the original crime...to premeditate it like that feels borderline criminal to me haha

That person should be sent to the center of the earth at the very least...

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:52 pm

Someone in the reply thread pointed out that he may have won this battle that existed in his head, but if he wants a job of any consequence down the line his penchant for petty vengeance will hurt him.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:34 am

Someone in the reply thread pointed out that he may have won this battle that existed in his head, but if he wants a job of any consequence down the line his penchant for petty vengeance will hurt him.
I’d like to think this is true, but still have my doubts these days.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:36 am

I’d like to think this is true, but still have my doubts these days.
Any company that is familiar with this story will stay away. He is exactly the kind of dude that would create legal trouble and headaches.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 pm

The New York Times Helped a Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate Who Uttered a Racial Slur When She Was 15
https://reason.com/2020/12/28/new-york- ... mi-groves/

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:50 am

The New York Times Helped a Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate Who Uttered a Racial Slur When She Was 15
https://reason.com/2020/12/28/new-york- ... mi-groves/
This is a great read, but this part was especially salient to me.
Galligan did a monstrous thing, but none of us should pretend to know whether he is a monster. It's unfair to write him off as irredeemably bad, just as it was unfair to brand Groves a racist and derail her future plans because of one mistake. They are both teenagers, and teenagers—even ones who turn out to be perfectly fine and upstanding adults—do really terrible things to each other. (Maybe you don't remember high school? I do!) They should be corrected, forgiven, and allowed to move on.

That's why this new drive to reduce teens to the worst moment of their lives is so pathologically toxic. It's completely at odds with the emotional and social journeys of most young people. Very few of us sailed through high school as saints, but today's kids are practically required to be perfect from the time they turn 12.

The people who really ought to have known better are not the story's teenage subjects, but its editors at The New York Times. Imagine thinking the paper should not run an op-ed by a sitting Republican senator because his policy proposal makes people feel unsafe, but a story about a teenage girl who said something stupid? Unleash the righteous fervor of social media upon her: The 1793 Project continues.
Thank God I went thru school in the 90s. I know nocera and others have mentioned this too, but if there was a camera constantly filming my every stupid move at that age, I'd be mortified.