Everything golf

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:51 pm

What do folks here consider their cutoff point for cold weather golf? I walked 18 at schenley today with really no issue, only when there was some precipitation. I don't think I'd want to play a riding course in this, but walking made it palatable. If I snowboarded or skied, i'd probably not be thinking about this, but mostly, the idea that basically all recreational activity is done for 2+ months, can't handle that.
Good question. For me, it is more of a wind question. I hate playing in windy conditions, triply so when it is cold.

If it is a nice, sunny calm day, I don't mind playing in temperatures in the mid 40s as long as I'm out there over the middle part of the day.

Any colder than that, forget it. That said, I do love golfing on fall mornings when it is chilly and warms up quickly.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:52 pm

40s is okay if it's sunny for me. 40s with no sun and maybe wind is no fun

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Kind of figured 40's would be a consensus. Do most courses stay open year round?

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Played a couple rounds at Reunion this weekend @Orlando Penguin
Geez, no phone call? I'm joking. I've only played the Watson course there twice and I had more than my share of sand to last me a while. At least you got a couple of decent weather days here. I remember the wind being a bit rough out there too, though, that was when there wasn't as much building around there. I think it's a bit more built up since the last time I was out there 4 years ago.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Geez, no phone call? I'm joking. I've only played the Watson course there twice and I had more than my share of sand to last me a while. At least you got a couple of decent weather days here. I remember the wind being a bit rough out there too, though, that was when there wasn't as much building around there. I think it's a bit more built up since the last time I was out there 4 years ago.
Ha I was playing with some guys on mini tours so that was eye opening. I expected seeing 320 off the tee but 250 iron shots are just unreal the way they fly off the club. Yesterday was windy af but today was calm. We played Watson today and I was pretty sure we were on the beach. Palmer yesterday. Nice and fun courses but nothing real remarkable. Just nice to have a couple days on the course in the sun

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:24 pm

45 sunny no wind, that's about my limit

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 pm

Ha I was playing with some guys on mini tours so that was eye opening. I expected seeing 320 off the tee but 250 iron shots are just unreal the way they fly off the club. Yesterday was windy af but today was calm. We played Watson today and I was pretty sure we were on the beach. Palmer yesterday. Nice and fun courses but nothing real remarkable. Just nice to have a couple days on the course in the sun
Nowadays, I think 300-310 drives are a dime a dozen. I play with a couple of co-workers who can get it out there and make it look pretty effortless. But none of them can pull a 3-iron from 250 and put it on a string to the middle of the green. That, I think, is much more impressive. The sounds of impact sound nothing like ours.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:32 am

Kind of figured 40's would be a consensus. Do most courses stay open year round?
A lot of places stay open year round. I know meadowink in murrysville is open almost every single day of the year. The nice thing about Schenley is that its open even if its not open. Did they still have the flags in or did they resort to the pvc pipe yet?

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:49 am

we booked a round on Tuesday to celebrate my SO's finishing of the semester in her graduate program. forecast is 48 but sunny.guess I'll be breaking out the long pants......

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:07 pm

Driver, 1-Iron. Apparently Wilson, when they were sponsoring JD, actually made a 0-Iron.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:51 am

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:24 pm

I’ll be out there Saturday and Sunday. It’s sick how good his swing looks at that age.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:44 pm

The swing itself is great but the similarities in the pre swing waggle and follow through are too funny

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Anyone else watch this guys channel? My friend turned me on to him, the break 90 videos definitely are easy and very entertaining. He’s like a 5 handicap that plays the pro tees at the the hardest courses to break 90.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:20 pm

This is so cool to see. He's gonna get so much attention now, there's no avoiding it. But I think Tiger will help him better than anyone could knowing he's been there. I don't think he'd have him in a televised event if the time wasn't right.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:36 pm

This is so cool to see. He's gonna get so much attention now, there's no avoiding it. But I think Tiger will help him better than anyone could knowing he's been there. I don't think he'd have him in a televised event if the time wasn't right.

That's incredible. He hit a freaking draw 175 yards at the age of 11. God I suck

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:11 pm

For a second when that ball hit the fringe, I said to my cameraman, 'that might go in'. He worked the ball so perfectly. The reax by Tiger after Charlie made the putt was really damn good. The only downer of the whole day was Tiger's post-round quotes. I expected him to be gushing with pride but he was very blah. I didn't hear his interview for NBC but the one with the rest of us was just meh. Hell, JT talking about Charlie was 100 times better.

Quick funny story that was caught on broadcast but may not have had full context -- In Friday's pro-am, Charlie hit into Mike Thomas who was playing in front of him. Mike wrote a note that said 'draw hole!' and slipped it under Charlie's ball to tell him he should have been going to the left instead of the right where Mike had been standing. So today on the same hole, Mike hits his tee shot in a fairway bunker. Charlie had kept the note and walked over to slip it under Mike’s ball. JT loved it.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:31 am

For a second when that ball hit the fringe, I said to my cameraman, 'that might go in'. He worked the ball so perfectly. The reax by Tiger after Charlie made the putt was really damn good. The only downer of the whole day was Tiger's post-round quotes. I expected him to be gushing with pride but he was very blah. I didn't hear his interview for NBC but the one with the rest of us was just meh. Hell, JT talking about Charlie was 100 times better.

Quick funny story that was caught on broadcast but may not have had full context -- In Friday's pro-am, Charlie hit into Mike Thomas who was playing in front of him. Mike wrote a note that said 'draw hole!' and slipped it under Charlie's ball to tell him he should have been going to the left instead of the right where Mike had been standing. So today on the same hole, Mike hits his tee shot in a fairway bunker. Charlie had kept the note and walked over to slip it under Mike’s ball. JT loved it.
That is great stuff

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:44 am

NSFW apparently Holly Sonders has a new career path

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:06 pm

She has had wayyyyy too much work done

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:08 pm

I wanna know how an 11 year old is sitting 175 to the pin on his send shot on a par 5. Is golf going to be too easy for this kid?

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Yeah, he should be playing from the tips :P

Can you imagine the hysteria whenever he inevitably goes for his Tour card? Hope his Dad prepares him well for that.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:37 pm

I wanna know how an 11 year old is sitting 175 to the pin on his send shot on a par 5. Is golf going to be too easy for this kid?

I think this event is a scramble, so likely playing off Tiger's drive

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Ok, that makes more sense, but also, he didn’t really get an eagle. And that also makes more sense how when asked in the post round interview about his sons first eagle, he was not effusing praise

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:20 pm

I think this event is a scramble, so likely playing off Tiger's drive
All 3 shots were his own. He was playing the forward tees which must have been way forward.