Blackjack's Thread of Illness and Ailments

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:42 pm

I tore my fascia once. It's was excruciating. Took me 7 months to be able to job again.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:16 pm

those of you that are U40, watch out! this is all coming for you once you crest that hill.
I already see a chiropractor for a bad back and neck, and I'm still on the good side of 30.

Definitely not looking forward to it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:50 pm

I am a disabled veteran. The bulk of my disability is chronic plantar fascitis. I keep it in check with Rx insoles, laser measured and formed to my feet.

It slows the onset of daily pain but doesn't completely fix it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Bunch of old people in this thread. ;)

Too much venison and foie gras can lead to gout.

Article in today's NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/t-ma ... asses.html

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:47 pm

I no longer walk barefoot on hard floors - which is 90% of my house. Good times.
yep, the Pod mentioned this. really difficult for me because I live with an Asian from Massachusetts. shoes are strictly left at the door.
Yeah, I have slides that I only wear in my house.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:51 pm

I do the "no shoes" thing for the upper, main level of my house. I have one pair of Crocs that I wear on that level, a second pair of lined Crocs at the top of the stairs that I wear to go down to my basement or go outside to the mailbox. All of my regular shoes are downstairs.

I wouldn't wear the Crocs to go anywhere, but they are comfortable for use as slippers.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:00 pm

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:13 pm

Have had those LLBean slippers. Feet get wayyyy to hot in them for me.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:57 pm

My bicep is killing me from throwing snowballs for the dogs to chase. I’ve never felt so old.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Have had those LLBean slippers. Feet get wayyyy to hot in them for me.
My mother got those for me a few years ago and yes, way too hot.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:34 pm

plantar fasciitis has been killing me recently. went to a podiatrist and he recommended some $30 insoles:

I've been soaking in epsom salt almost every day. anyone else got any tips to get rid of this crap?
Before you wake or get up from your chair, stretch the bad foot by pointing your big toe to your knee for 30 seconds. Repeat that a few times, unless it hurts.

Get a bottle of water and freeze it. Roll it over the heel/arch for 10-15 minutes a few times a day.

I no longer walk barefoot on hard floors - which is 90% of my house. Good times.

A buddy of mine was helping out at our kids’ soccer practice, and tapped a ball back to another kid, and his fascia popped audibly. Complete, clean tear. There is nothing a doctor can do about that - if it had been a partial tear, they would’ve cut the entire thing like what happened to him naturally. It will heal on its own - but the recovery time for a man in his mid-40s? 6 months to a year. :shock:
I'm a little late to the game on this, but I had plantar fasciitis about 3 years ago. Got it one year during a hockey tournament so I was wedging everything under my arch of my foot to lessen the pain. That last game I think I ended up taking 20-30 second shifts (coasting for most of the shift) before I ended up pulling myself from the game after the 2nd. Took me about two months for the fasciitis to go away in my left foot. About a week later, I got it in my right foot. Basically ruined my summer since I had two long runs that I had signed up for. Luckily I was able to transfer one to a friend and ate the money on the other one.

Where was I going with that? Oh yeah, treatment. The bottle of ice works real well but I couldn't deal with the cold after a few minutes. Rolling a golf ball in a circular motion in the arch seemed to also help. Instead of doing the toe stretches, I ended up buying a brace that you'd wear to sleep that would keep your toes in that position.

Not the exact one I have, but close.
https://www.braceability.com/products/p ... gJE2vD_BwE

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm a little late to the game on this, but I had plantar fasciitis about 3 years ago. Got it one year during a hockey tournament so I was wedging everything under my arch of my foot to lessen the pain. That last game I think I ended up taking 20-30 second shifts (coasting for most of the shift) before I ended up pulling myself from the game after the 2nd. Took me about two months for the fasciitis to go away in my left foot. About a week later, I got it in my right foot. Basically ruined my summer since I had two long runs that I had signed up for. Luckily I was able to transfer one to a friend and ate the money on the other one.

Where was I going with that? Oh yeah, treatment. The bottle of ice works real well but I couldn't deal with the cold after a few minutes. Rolling a golf ball in a circular motion in the arch seemed to also help. Instead of doing the toe stretches, I ended up buying a brace that you'd wear to sleep that would keep your toes in that position.

Not the exact one I have, but close.
https://www.braceability.com/products/p ... gJE2vD_BwE
I had one those braces a few years ago when I had achilles tendonitis. unfortunately I couldn't sleep in it. the PF is still bothering me but at least it's getting better. I was able to complete the Peachtree Road Race (10k) on Thanksgiving Day but the last mile or so was absolutely brutal. seeing my massage therapist later today to get some work done on it.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:36 am

My bicep is killing me from throwing snowballs for the dogs to chase. I’ve never felt so old.
I love throwing snowballs to the dog and she just tries to catch them all.

What is not fun is trying to get 200 hardened snow/ice chunks out of goldendoodle fur with a hair dryer

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:41 am

So I spent half my senior year of high school in a cast because I destroyed the ligaments my left ankle. Fell three times and the last took a chip out of the back of it. Still goes out once in awhile.

Fast forward 31 years and my right has gone out from under me twice this month. Fell down the stairs this morning. Hope I'm not coming out of this with two bad ankles.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:12 pm

They can rebuild you. We have the technology

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:35 pm

The VA handles my blood pressure medication because it is service connected. So about once a year I have to do a blood test so they can assess my overall health and see if any adjustments need to be made. I did the blood draw around Thanksgiving.

Yesterday UPS dropped off a package from the VA. No letter inside, no explanation, no directions, just four huge bottles of Omega-3 fish oil caplets. 400 in total.

What the **** kind of course of treatment do they think I am on? Without an explanation this stuff is basically essential oils to me and can go right to trash bin.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:38 pm

Those things are expensive. Sell them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:44 pm

I thought that but it felt a little skeevy. :lol:

I would trade them right now for a pair of olympic 45lb plates.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:59 pm

I’ve never heard anything good about the VA, so that doesn’t help change my view of it.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:39 pm

I got put on fish oil for triglycerides. Seems to work, last blood work everything was good.

But yeah they should explain what it’s for.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:00 pm

I’ve used fish oil for 20 years. 20/20 vision (although I need readers lol) and no medications. Blood pressure is fine. But yeah, at least give you a heads up for dosage or how it benefits you.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:43 am

Vitamin D deficiency could explain why autism is more common in boys

https://scitechdaily.com/vitamin-d-coul ... n-in-boys/

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:07 am

@Freddy Rumsen how's your hamstring?

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:13 am

I am a disabled veteran. The bulk of my disability is chronic plantar fascitis. I keep it in check with Rx insoles, laser measured and formed to my feet.

It slows the onset of daily pain but doesn't completely fix it.
Ever think about medicinal marijuana?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:18 am

As a federal employee I am barred from that course of treatment. I'm in a drug testing position and have to maintain my clearance. Not opposed to it, though.