COVID-19

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:49 am

How it has been explained to me (like I'm 5) by medical professionals is that this type of vaccine and how it was developed has almost zero chance of long term side effects or issues...in fact, most of the damage it can do is within the first few days in your system...

So, I'm even less concerned...but also knew I wouldn't be first on the docket anyhow...so if New Australia gets first dibs, by all means...
There are no mRNA vaccines in distribution at the moment. This would be the first vaccine of this style/mechanism. All long term side effects are theoretical. They (the people that have worked on this stuff for decades) believe that long term side effects will be limited to people with severe auto-immune diseases. Once your body does its thing in the first few days, ya done. Immune. For how long, who knows. But immune.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:57 am

Whatever gets me back to Bonnaroo and EDC...I don't plan on living that long anyhow...

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:58 am

I look at it this way, this (as in the pandemic) has been one giant experiment in risk tolerance. Different people have reacted differently to various risks. I am by no means an anti-vaxxer, but I also recognize there is more than a smidge of unknowns with a warp speed vaccine. I am at risk if I take a vaccine with lots of unknowns. I am at risk if I catch the Wuhan virus. At this point, I'll take my chances with the bug vs the vaccine, at least until we get some reasonable certainty that the vaccine is safe.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 am

Source of the post I don't plan on living that long anyhow...
Have you considered asking meow to cough into your dadhole then?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:04 am

at least until we get some reasonable certainty that the vaccine is safe.
What would you need to pass the threshold of unknown if safe to safe?

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 am

My wife did her first PT clinical last semester. About a month ago she came home and said the PT she was shadowing with was really pissed off because his sister had ignored precautions and then dropped in on their parents for a visit; he had been making sure they were fine at home and doing their errands for them so they didn't have to go out. The PTs father died of COVID last night. Awful.

I'm certain that's going to drive a wedge between those siblings for a long time.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 am

That is a gr8 question during a time when there are many gr8 questions with no real answers. I don't know when. Probably a combination of a few things, maybe figuring out a. does the vaccine work well b. are there side effects c. is it readily available for schmucks like myself

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:15 am

No need to ask. I’m on it

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 am

I’m glad the first people to receive the vaccine are on an island.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 am

That is a gr8 question during a time when there are many gr8 questions with no real answers. I don't know when. Probably a combination of a few things, maybe figuring out a. does the vaccine work well b. are there side effects c. is it readily available for schmucks like myself
If it helps, the answers to A and B are both yes. C is currently a no.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:19 am

By the time it's available to schmucks like you and I, there will have been close to a year's worth of data on 10's of thousands of volunteers. That'll probably be enough for me. If "long term" means more than a year for the side effects to settle in, I think we're f'd either way.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:23 am

I look at it this way, this (as in the pandemic) has been one giant experiment in risk tolerance. Different people have reacted differently to various risks. I am by no means an anti-vaxxer, but I also recognize there is more than a smidge of unknowns with a warp speed vaccine. I am at risk if I take a vaccine with lots of unknowns. I am at risk if I catch the Wuhan virus. At this point, I'll take my chances with the bug vs the vaccine, at least until we get some reasonable certainty that the vaccine is safe.
Even within my family, my sister and her family have been worried about this virus, takes pretty strong precautions (just short of locking herself in), my brother and his family almost act like the virus doesn't exist, they do wear masks in public, but have no reservations going to large gathering, etc., and then my family is probably somewhere in the middle.

As far as the vaccine, my sister will be the first in line when it becomes available to the public, I'll probably wait until it's readily available and get it, but not rushing to the front of the line, and then my brother will probably be one of the last to get it, mainly because my mom will bug him to get it.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 am

Considered it...? This concept is purely a product of our SmashLab...

I'm not just the vice president, I'm also a client...

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 am

My wife did her first PT clinical last semester. About a month ago she came home and said the PT she was shadowing with was really pissed off because his sister had ignored precautions and then dropped in on their parents for a visit; he had been making sure they were fine at home and doing their errands for them so they didn't have to go out. The PTs father died of COVID last night. Awful.

I'm certain that's going to drive a wedge between those siblings for a long time.
JC, that's my worst nightmare come true. :cry:

blackjack68

COVID-19

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:13 am

Got our brains stabbed. Now we wait.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 am

Hopefully I can get pretty high on the list for the vaccine. I'm 71 with COPD and heart disease and have no problem getting it.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:44 am

UK approves Pfizer vaccine. Good luck.
I Am Legend has become 28 Days Later

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:48 am

Hopefully I can get pretty high on the list for the vaccine. I'm 71 with COPD and heart disease and have no problem getting it.
Not sure about PA, but in NC you’d be considered in a “priority population” and most likely in phase 1. If not, very early in phase two.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am

Based on everything I've read, he'd fall into the same here in PA.
Last edited by NTP66 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 am

I predict a wave of tantrums on social media from Americans that feel they're entitled to it first.
Between that and the wave of conspiracy nuts posting nonsense... oh and of course the pandemic raging. It's going to be a long winter.
I actually think it would be hilarious if the anti-vax idiots wind up being the loudest about not getting the vaccine first.
Well, there are essentially (in my mind) going to be two fronts of the idiot movement:

1. The anti-vax crew. They are going to LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the fact that the shot gives you fever and body ache for a day or so. They're going to absolutely eat that up, along with the "if I don't get vaccinated, that's my choice. If it works so well, then you do your thing and I'll do mine."

2. The Trump crew. This was all a big hoax... notice how the vaccine came out right after Biden won the election. YOU THINK THAT'S A COINCIDENCE?!?! I'm not getting that damn shot. It's all fake.
Fortunately most of that is just noise that can be avoided by staying away from social media.

I say this at the risk of being yelled at by ulf and pfidc who are starting to catch on to my Schick :D

LeopardLetang

COVID-19

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:52 am

have many of you ever lost your sense of taste or smell due to a flu/cold before? i know that's how it works but i've never heard of it happening to anyone. i thought it just happened with this covid because it was so extreme on your sinuses. but c2i was saying surprise surprise like it always happens. i just assumed until now that it was the best telltale sign that you had it.

blackjack68

COVID-19

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 am

Well if those two groups don’t want to get it, it seems the problem will work itself out.

#Milton

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 am

Whenever I get an unusually bad cold, I'll lose my sense of taste and smell. It goes away with my other symptoms, though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am

I'm excited to read all the fearmongering tweets that certain people post in here about people with mysterious side effects after allegedly getting the vaccine

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:56 am

Not sure about PA, but in NC you’d be considered in a “priority population” and most likely in phase 1. If not, very early in phase two.
How does one prove they should be in the priority population? Doctor's note?