Pro Wrasslin' Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:30 am

60. Another wrestler from our youth gone way too soon. As bad as current WWE is, at least it seems like a much safer environment than even 10-20 years ago. I don't think we'll see the current guys drop as young.

Also if there's one tweet that DIDN'T need a catchphrase hashtag...
Some of them will still be working the occasional PPV when they are 60. Looking your way, HHH.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:48 am

60. Another wrestler from our youth gone way too soon. As bad as current WWE is, at least it seems like a much safer environment than even 10-20 years ago. I don't think we'll see the current guys drop as young.

Some of them will still be working the occasional PPV when they are 60. Looking your way, HHH.
Hell R. Truth is 48. MVP is 47. AJ Styles is 43. These guys are training better and taking care of themselves in a way that the previous era stars never did.

Hulk Hogan was 42 when he went to WCW and WWF aired those Billionaire Ted/Huckster skits.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:20 am

I tend to think that way too, the stars of today are so physically refined from both drugs and personal care, I can't imagine these guys are going to drop dead in their 50-60s for the majority of them.

90's and prior, it was the wild west, and was known the bigger you are, the more money you make. Now, it doesn't appear to be that way.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Hell R. Truth is 48. MVP is 47. AJ Styles is 43. These guys are training better and taking care of themselves in a way that the previous era stars never did.

Hulk Hogan was 42 when he went to WCW and WWF aired those Billionaire Ted/Huckster skits.
This somehow showed up when I was looking for stuff involving Hogan going to WCW.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2011/ ... ker-543009
Worthington says, "He gave me some investment advice because his manager said to him, 'You should get into these things, kitchen appliances, put your name on something'.

"The Hulk said, 'Well, what have you got?' The manager said, 'Well, I've got this meatball maker... It pounds the meatballs when you (clench arm muscles and press fists together). The Hulk went, 'That's fantastic, I want the Hulkamania Meatball Maker!'

"The manager goes, 'What about the other thing (investment opportunity)?' He goes, 'Ah, give that to your other client.' The other client turned out to be George Foreman, it was the grill! So George Foreman's made $300 billion and how many people own a Hulkamania Meatball Maker?"
I knew he turned down the Foreman Grill, but I didn't know he turned it down because he endorsed the Hulkamania Meatball Maker?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:50 pm

That would be Pastamania.

I've heard that Foreman Grill story before and I think it's typical Hogan bullshit. He knows how to tell a good story. The story of endorsing pasta and it being **** isn't a good story. Add in that he turned down the Foreman for Pastamania and it's a fantastic story.

Just like it isn't a great story that Mania 3 was planned out exactly and everybody knew he was going to slam Andre for the win. But if you say that nobody was sure what Andre would do and Andre called the slam in the ring, well then you got something. Hogan is a carny.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm

What, you mean the guy who was asked by Lars to be the bass player for Metallica has a tendency of stretching a story? More on this later.

I knew about Pastamania, but the way that is written makes it sound like there was a separate meatball-making device. Almost like it was an attempt at The Ultimate Male making The Ultimate Meatball.

(sorry, I couldn't pass that up)

Hogan isn't one to just stretch the truth, he's the type to make his own version of it. Like the time that he said that Elvis would watch him wrestle in Memphis. That's a great one to have on your resume, except The King died in 1977 and Hogan didn't start wrestling in Memphis until 1979. Even on the unlikely chance that Elvis caught him while he was still up and coming, Hogan didn't debut in CWF until August 10, 1977 against the Brian Blair. Elvis was in Memphis at that time and died a week later.

I'm gonna spoiler this, only because the list is rather large, brother.
If there’s one thing Hulk Hogan understands, it’s that for true longevity, you need to weave yourself into the fabric of history. For example, Elvis was a huge fan when Hulk was working in Memphis, and would regularly go to see him wrestle. Hogan debuted in ’79, the King died in ’77.

During one interview, he made a point to stamp out all those incorrect stories of him being romantically linked with Dolly Parton. And Pamela Anderson. Oh, and Drew Barrymore and Brooke Shields. Actually, rumour-killing is a great idea. While I’ve got your attention, I just went to put the record straight and say that all that stuff you might have heard about me ruining Jennifer Lawrence with my Pringles-can of a nob is hearsay at best. But back to Hogan, and I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if the girl in the sex-tape just ‘becomes’ Marilyn Monroe or Megan Fox when the story gets retold on a radio show in a couple of years.

Maybe all these celebrity affairs were at the root of his divorce problems. So heavy weighed the depression of that fallout with his wife, that one night, Hogan was sat on the bed holding a pistol to his head. Just as his finger tightened around the trigger, the phone rang. It was Muhammad Ali’s daughter, inadvertently saving his life. Fate, no? This tall tale is a weird inverse take on another popular Hogan trope; having sat next to Kerry Von Erich on a flight from LA to Japan, talking the whole way there, three days before Kerry killed himself (Neither guy was in Japan that week). Or, how Chris Kanyon would call him up all the time, opening up about how tormented and confused he was about how his sexuality, before he too took his own life. Hogan was also the one to personally tell Bret Hart that his brother Owen had died.

My favourite brush-with-fame fable is the story of Hogan partying in LA after Wrestlemania II. He’s such a wildman that nobody could keep up with him, not even noted partier John Belushi, who was there with the Hulkster that night. Such was Belushi’s struggle to match him drink (and whatever else) for drink, that Hogan kicked him out, which was a little unfair considering that in 1986, when this happened, Belushi had been dead for four years.

Purely through being a big dude who came through that crazy-tough oldschool system, it’s actually true to say that back in the day, Hogan was a guy who could legitimately handle himself. His leg was deliberately snapped during his first training session, and anyone who could survive in the old territory system was probably a bad-arse, but as the years go on, the Hulkster’s been attempting to retroactively paint himself as somewhat of a Count Dante figure.

According to Hogan, at one point there was a proposed PPV match on the table, between him and an in-his-prime Mike Tyson. Unfortunately, this fell apart before the contracts could be signed, because Tyson was terrified that Hogan would shoot on him. (For non-wrestling nerds, shooting is deviating from the script to hurt someone for real). While it’s sad that this dream match never took place, thankfully the charity boxing match between him and George Foreman did, with Hogan describing in his own book how he stood toe-to-toe with the heavyweight champ, before being hit so hard that his legs went numb. When I say “did” I mean there are no records or evidence of this ever having taken place.

Notorious in the early nineties for casually telling the hosts of cosy, British, mid-morning talkshows that it was all fake, the Hulkster was lucky to have his Japanese career to fall back on for tales of it all being totally for reals. His Japanese debut against Riki Choshu turned into a shoot — won by Hogan in 2 minutes, just to prove a point — as did a match against Tatsumi Fujinami, and when the Hulk faced jumbo-jawed champ Antonio Inoki, he beat him so bad that Inoki actually died in the ring. Thankfully, Inoki was revived with CPR, but Hogan couldn’t leave Japan for a while, as the fans and the Japanese mafia wanted him dead. It’s not surprising he couldn’t stop murdering people, as he didn’t even know wrestling was fake until his very first match. He’d been training for real fights, brother.

In recent years, he’s claimed to have taken down and choked out a Hell’s Angel who “gave him a dirty look,” just like he did to Richard Belzer. And then, in something you can actually find if you Google for it, he left a threatening message on the voicemail of a nineteen-year-old musician who’d been hitting on his daughter claiming that he was “messing with Hulkamania,” and that he’d send the Hell’s Angels to break his legs.

Going back to Japan for a second, the pinnacle of Hulk Hogan’s claims at being the World’s Toughest Man are his recent admissions to having fought for real over in Japan for the Pride Fighting Championships. In the seventies. Maybe he was there, a mere couple of decades before Pride (est. 1997) existed, kicking a three-week-old Mirco Cro Cop around the ring, but it actually doesn’t matter, because MMA is all fake anyway. Hogan used to think it was real, until he got chatting with the UFC’s Randy Couture, who smartened him up to how it’s all just pretend.

Let’s start with a quote from a Rolling Stone interview.

“I’d go into the ring with a razor blade in my mouth, cut my head, cut the referee, cut the other wrestler and later on, drink beer all night with it still in my mouth.”

The wrestling business itself is possibly where the lies get the most outrageous. This is the Hulkster’s house, and it was built on the largest back in the world. He claims to have made, and wasted, hundreds of millions of dollars. Ever the innovator, he was the first ever wrestler to have entrance music (he wasn’t), and invented the concept of merchandise (he didn’t). Back in the day, he worked 400 nights a year. Yeah, you ‘eard. 400 nights a year. See, he flew so much, doing one show in NY before flying over to Japan, and then back again, that because of all the time difference, his years were 400 days long. It’s no wonder he sweated so profusely that Vince McMahon had to buy ten replacement WWF championship belts every month, which works out at roughly six hundred belts during his WWF career.

While we’ve established that he’s terrible with dates, his claim on ‘Hogan Knows Best’ that the Undertaker dropped him on his head in 1974 takes some beating. Maybe it happened in Pride, when Taker was nine years old. It’s possible, right?

Hogan also sold out Wembley Stadium at Summerslam 92, despite not actually being there. Incidentally, this is the same show where he looked out into the mass of 83,555 fans for the terminally ill child he’d invited to watch, only to see an empty chair forlornly staring back at him. Later told that the boy had died just before the show (the show Hogan wasn’t at either), he was moved to pen the song ‘Hulkster in Heaven’, donating the proceeds of the album to the child’s family. Although when Jamie Bulger was murdered, Hogan was back on the British talkshow circuit and decided that ‘Hulkster in Heaven’ had been written for him instead.

For all his myriad accomplishments, Hulk Hogan is the greatest nearly-man there ever was. Lars Ulrich wanted him to join Metallica as their new bass player, and at one point he almost joined the Rolling Stones. And then there’s the George Foreman grill. One day, he heard the phone ringing, but didn’t get across the room to pick it up in time. So, rather than going through his agent, or calling back later, the grill people immediately called George Foreman instead, and offered it to him, because that’s how that stuff works I guess.

The reason that mainstream movie success always eluded him is that in his early twenties, Hogan was blackballed from Hollywood after rebuffing the advances of a gay movie producer. Not that his movies weren’t successful, of course, as the likes of Santa with Muscles and Mr. Nanny all made $30-40m (lol no), with each of their scripts being rewritten by him because they weren’t any good. Although due to Writer’s Guild rules, he was robbed of his credits. He turned down the Little John role in Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and the lead in a crime thriller opposite Pamela Anderson, who was to be his love interest, but the biggest should-have goes to Oscar nominated film The Wrestler. Three times, the Hulkster was sent the script by director Darren Aronofsky, begging him to take the role that had been written with him in mind, and three times he said no. Randy the Ram was entirely based on Hogan, as you can tell with his blond hair, usage of the word ‘brother’, and that deleted scene where he rubs suntan lotion right between the cracks of his daughter’s arse.

The famous match between Hogan and Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania III, something already spoken of (and rightly so) in mythic tones, is Hogan’s personal Pinocchio nose, wildly expanding like nocturnal tumescence almost every time he speaks. Andre was famously billed at 520lbs — an iconic stat in itself — but with the telling and retelling of the story, Andre’s size increases almost exponentially. It’s a living example of how historical narrative legends are formed, right before your eyes. First he’s 520lbs, and then 600lbs, then up to 700. Hogan’s accepted lore currently has Andre at half a ton. And he no longer just sloppily slammed him to the mat; he lifted him high over his head, and almost broke the ring in two with the force of hurling him back down to earth.

At one point, a new thing got tossed in about how, during the famous bodyslam, Hulk tore every muscle in his back. This later grew, into a tale of not just tearing his back, but both his biceps, his quadriceps and his lats, and not missing any shows. The most bizarre part of the Andre fables cropped up when Hogan Featured on MTV Cribs, and in his memorabilia room, made one of the most insane statements ever put to film. You have to see it for yourself to appreciate the casual way it’s just thrown out there.

Found it:

It's not even like there is an edit in his quote, where he could have been talking about something else and they shortened some stuff for time. No, it's his actual quote.

WHAT?! “A couple of days later, he passed on.” No he didn’t! Unless six years is a couple of days. (Or maybe Andre spent those two days flying back and forth to Japan and gained six years) This particular statement fascinates me. Does Hulk Hogan genuinely believe that Andre the Giant died two days after Wrestlemania III? Does he think the slam contributed to Andre’s death? It’s not like isn’t public record, or that Andre wasn’t still on TV almost right up until he died. Hogan himself and Andre worked together one year later at Wrestlemania IV, and unless there was some Weekend at Bernies **** going on, he looked pretty alive to me. What would happen if someone confronted him with evidence of Andre being alive and well way into the nineties? The Hulkster’s reality would probably crack, like that bit in The Matrix when Keanu Reeves wakes up hairless and covered in jizz.

We had to end on Andre, because the Hogan tale that’s my absolute favourite is yet another story about the big man. Stories of Andre are legendary, and they don’t need to be embellished, but I’ll let you decide whether or not this one is true. I myself remain undecided. Once, while on the road, Hogan witnessed Andre the Giant take a poo in a hotel bathtub. He almost completely filled it.

“…all the way to the taps, brother”

https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/201 ... ulk-hogan/

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:44 am

This is one of my favorite segments of all time.

It's just perfect. Lawler and JR's commentary throughout made it even better.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:06 am

I've been going through and chronologically watching WWE PPVs. 95 was rough, obviously, but I thought 96 was even worse. It's tough watching Savio Vega vs Justin Bradshaw in a strap match knowing WCW was kicking ass and the NWO had just formed.

I'm halfway though 97, and holy **** what a year. 1997 WWF is awesome. The Hart Foundation forms, Stone Cold gets red hot, Undertaker's storyline with Paul Bearer/Kane, the Mankind/HHH feud, and later in the year DX forms. It might be my favorite year in the WWF. It's this awesome transition period between New Gen and full out Attitude Era.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:31 pm

22 years ago today...

Without playing the video, I can still hear that bedpan. Don't worry, I have it set so you only have to wait a second for it.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:59 am

22 years ago today...

Without playing the video, I can still hear that bedpan. Don't worry, I have it set so you only have to wait a second for it.
Man, they don't make vignettes like this anymore.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:30 am

:lol:

Mean Gene holding his laughter in is so good.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:25 am

:lol: The majority of wrestlers from the golden era were absolute **** in the ring and on the mic. I do love Gene breaking though. There's a charm to golden era stuff where it feels very wild west/run and gun. That stuff would never happen in modern day WWE.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 am

Agreed. If somebody botched a promo that badly today, they'd be off TV for months or jobbing out to No Way Jose.

That promo was so bad that it made Jumpin Jeff Farmer look like Ric Flair by comparison.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:32 pm

:lol: The majority of wrestlers from the golden era were absolute **** in the ring and on the mic. I do love Gene breaking though. There's a charm to golden era stuff where it feels very wild west/run and gun. That stuff would never happen in modern day WWE.
Couldn't agree more. Honestly, it must have been hard for Gene; he had a great rapport with the guys by all accounts but at the same time I can see someone like Patera losing his mind at him for corpsing.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:09 pm

That promo was so bad that it made Jumpin Jeff Farmer look like Ric Flair by comparison.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Been binge watching the dark side of the ring episodes and I got to go to a ECW taping in high school and it was every bit as real as it looks. It was insane.

Watching the New Jack episode right now.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:54 pm

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Awesome. The good/bad news is that Dark Side of the Ring still has a lot of horrible professional wrestling stories to cover.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:14 pm

10 minutes.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:26 pm

She probably knew she was fired before she sent out that tweet. I doubt that’s what caused it. Doesn’t look good though.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Yeah, you're probably right.

Wasn't she also one of the wrestlers who was pissed about being more or less forced to shut down her Twitch account, only to create an OnlyFans account a few days later?

Or am I confusing her with someone else?

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:45 pm

I just watched the video of Deangelo Williams briefly wrestling for Impact a few years ago... It was damned impressive. Meltzer said that he had legit potential to be a great wrestler and was a natural.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:02 am

She probably knew she was fired before she sent out that tweet. I doubt that’s what caused it. Doesn’t look good though.
From another board via PWinsider.com
Based on the unionization comment, it would appear the major factor in Vega's release was WWE's third-party edict as she was in the top percentile of Twitch streamers. One would think that given she had built up a nice side business for herself, she wasn't going to be thrilled to let it be absorbed into her WWE deal for a fraction of the revenue. Vega was one of several who recently announced she was going to suspend her streaming until further notice. It would appear push came to shove and that led to WWE releasing her.

The unionization comment was obviously in reference to the fact that WWE talents are technically independent contractors but were being ordered to hand over their Cameo, Twitch, etc. accounts in favor of the company working directly with those entities. As we noted several days ago, WWE is launching its own in-house Talent Management end to oversee such relationships.

One would think Vega would be resuming streams relatively soon. She also recently launched an OnlyFans.com account at OnlyFans. That account notes that the page features no nudity and appears to mostly showcase her cosplay outfits.

Multiple WWE sources have confirmed to PWInsider.com that today's release of Zelina Vega was fallout from last month's edict that talents drop their relationships with third party entities such as Twitch, Cameo, etc. in favor of World Wrestling Entertainment spearheading those relationships and fielding talents out as part of their contractual duties.

PWInsider.com is told that Vega was informed that she was being released before tonight's Smackdown taping. Several minutes before her release was announced, Vega tweeted that she supported unionization, obviously in reference to WWE requiring talents to acquiese control of their Twitch, etc. accounts. WWE star Paige had made similar comments in recent weeks on social media with Vega responding them in a positive way.

As we noted earlier, Vega would be under the traditional 90 day non-compete window, which would keep her from working televised promotions through mid-February 2021.

WWE sources indicated that Vega had been extremely vocal about maintaining her Twitch account after the edict had been handed down. That lead to some WWE talents who reached out to PWInsider.com tonight wondering if she had been released to "send a message" to everyone else to make sure they follow the company's requests regarding third-party entities. Obviously, WWE is not going to confirm or deny that.

Vega had continued her Twitch streams until announcing she was suspending them on 10/30. That would be the day after a number of talents, including AJ Styles and Xavier Woods, had traveled to Stamford, CT to meet personally with Vince McMahon about the third-party edict but obviously failed to change McMahon's mind.

Vega has already written online that she will be returning to streaming on Twitch, likely under her former ring name, Thea Trinidad.

She was on Twitch Saturday night

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:13 am

I think her and Paige are going to have a rude awakening regarding Twitch. Firstly, if they're not WWE employees, does anybody really care to watch them react to YouTube videos? I suppose I shouldn't underestimate the power of thirsty bois but how long will that last?

More importantly, a reddit user pointed out that out of Vega's 15k subs, 14k of them are gifted. Meaning, a vast majority of those gifted subs will expire in 30 days. Paige had 20k subs and she recently dropped down to 5k because her gifted subs expired. I don't think Twitch is the cash cow that they believe it to be.

Now, WWE is incredibly stupid and short-sighted by forcing their stars off of these platforms. It's an opportunity to bring new eyes to their product, hype up WWE shows on a different platform, put some money in their performer's pockets while also expanding their audience. But Vince is gonna Vince.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:45 am

I think her and Paige are going to have a rude awakening regarding Twitch. Firstly, if they're not WWE employees, does anybody really care to watch them react to YouTube videos? I suppose I shouldn't underestimate the power of thirsty bois but how long will that last?

More importantly, a reddit user pointed out that out of Vega's 15k subs, 14k of them are gifted. Meaning, a vast majority of those gifted subs will expire in 30 days. Paige had 20k subs and she recently dropped down to 5k because her gifted subs expired. I don't think Twitch is the cash cow that they believe it to be.

Now, WWE is incredibly stupid and short-sighted by forcing their stars off of these platforms. It's an opportunity to bring new eyes to their product, hype up WWE shows on a different platform, put some money in their performer's pockets while also expanding their audience. But Vince is gonna Vince.
Very astute point regarding Twitch. Vega is going to be irrelevant soon enough. Also agree with your last paragraph.