Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:16 pm

You are the obvious hero here so...

It's funny how one side is a unique individual for standing up for what he thinks is right, and when someone else does it they are a "bad teammate" and a "special snowflake" and whatever else.

It's almost like groupthink and "unity" matters only when the "right" position is being held.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 pm

That’s a complete an utter horseshit response and you know it. If the entire Steelers team had Medal of Honor winners on the back of their helmets and Cam Heyward trotted out with Antwaan Rose on the back of his helmet I’d say he was being a shitty teammate. The political ideology of it means nothing. The Steelers have made it a point throughout their history to not operate as unique individuals (except for AB and Bell and look how well that worked out), they operate as a united team. As you conveniently fail to address in your response post, no one else that has come through this roster since Kap started taking a knee decided to take it upon themselves to stand up for what they think is right. You’re just fine with this because it’s what you think is right. There have been two team wide displays of unity and Al deviated from the team in both of them because he’s a shitty teammate, because he cares more about his individual beliefs than being united with his teammates and following the directions of his leaders. The **** West Point grad is the biggest individual on the **** team and to make it all worse he’s a **** shitty left tackle.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 pm

When you go into business for yourself, you open yourself up to these criticisms. Is he racist? No.

If the team agreed, and he disagreed with the team and said something, then I see no problem with it. But this is twice now they've announced something, and he's done something different.

As far as I know, nobody is really defending him, so I just assume he went into business for himself, and that's that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Tomlin is defending him, claims it was preapproved:
Though it may have looked like a last-minute decision, according to Tomlin, Villanueva discussed it with him pregame. And he had his coach’s support.

“It’s in line with everything we’ve said about participating in elements of social justice this offseason,” Tomlin said. “As an organization, and myself as a head coach of an organization, we’re going to support our players in however they choose to participate and express themselves, or to not participate and not express themselves, as long as they do so thoughtfully and with class.”
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2009150128

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:39 pm

There you go, case closed then. Didn’t see Tomlin’s thoughts until now.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 am

I think his intentions are good and this certainly doesn't make him a racist. And I think he has a strong bond with his brothers in the army rangers and is proud of that.

I know he got pre-approval for this but if the entire team voted to do something and agreed, just do it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

I think DD is right, but also that it’s not a big deal. It’s just a wedge issue that makes for instant click bait.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:52 am

The charge of racism is so bizarre to me.

What is wrong with your brain to make that association here?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:26 am

So now Pouncey posted that he supports law enforcement and was not aware of Antwon Roses story and background, and going forward will make his own decision on whose name he puts on the back of his helmet.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09 ... t-display/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:28 am

Honestly, whoever chose Rose and didn't know the story was incredibly stupid. That was such a dumb thing to do, and if Pouncey said he didn't know the story and background, that's even worse.

At this point, have to wonder if Steelers brass even brought it up as to why Rose was killed, or they just let it go.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:51 am

Was Pouncey aware of Aaron Hernandez's background when he wore his Free Hernandez hat?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:51 am

Honestly, whoever chose Rose and didn't know the story was incredibly stupid. That was such a dumb thing to do, and if Pouncey said he didn't know the story and background, that's even worse.

At this point, have to wonder if Steelers brass even brought it up as to why Rose was killed, or they just let it go.
I honestly believe that most people don't know the story behind individuals, whether black, white, red, etc are killed and just know they were shot by police.

Again, it's just my personal opinion, but this is why I don't like this stuff in sports, particularly on game day (do whatever you want outside of gameday), but you will never get a uniform response on these types of things no matter how hard you try. And it steals and IMO hurts what they are trying to help. It brings division not only with the fans, but with the teams as well.

People pay to watch sports for entertainment and get away from reality. It's more of an annoyance for me, and I'll admit, I probably wont' walk away from watching, but it certainly takes away from the experience overall when these things are the focus instead of the game itself.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:57 am

Rosfeld effed up and Rose put himself in a bad situation. We don't really need to rehash the whole thing, but I do agree that he was a suboptimal choice.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am

That's all I was saying - at the least, someone should have done some research and thought about the implications of choosing Rose. It was a hot-button issue here for awhile, that wasn't really any type of cut and dry systematic racism.

That all being said, they've blended the line of politics and sports, so I don't know if there's going back.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am

That's all I was saying - at the least, someone should have done some research and thought about the implications of choosing Rose. It was a hot-button issue here for awhile, that wasn't really any type of cut and dry systematic racism.

That all being said, they've blended the line of politics and sports, so I don't know if there's going back.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 pm

I find it hard to believe a politicized movement leads to poorly thought out decisions.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm

This is where social media rears its ugly head. It gives an avenue for the hot take divas like Pittsburgh Dad Jr. and the other 93.7 bafoons to keep talking about this making it a bigger story than it is. Sometimes it seems like they want the Steelers to become an E! reality series. Would this have happened 20-25 years ago? The culture was different ten but no one would know about it unless it hit the newspaper.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:05 pm

That’s a complete an utter horseshit response and you know it. If the entire Steelers team had Medal of Honor winners on the back of their helmets and Cam Heyward trotted out with Antwaan Rose on the back of his helmet I’d say he was being a shitty teammate. The political ideology of it means nothing. The Steelers have made it a point throughout their history to not operate as unique individuals (except for AB and Bell and look how well that worked out), they operate as a united team. As you conveniently fail to address in your response post, no one else that has come through this roster since Kap started taking a knee decided to take it upon themselves to stand up for what they think is right. You’re just fine with this because it’s what you think is right. There have been two team wide displays of unity and Al deviated from the team in both of them because he’s a shitty teammate, because he cares more about his individual beliefs than being united with his teammates and following the directions of his leaders. The **** West Point grad is the biggest individual on the **** team and to make it all worse he’s a **** shitty left tackle.
Turns it out it wasn't a united team decision.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Turns it out it wasn't a united team decision.

Well in that case **** whoever made the choice to make it look like a team decision.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:22 pm

When I saw those local news tweets about it, it seemed a bit dubious. I wouldn’t be surprised if they misstated the whole thing, then they jumped on the villenuva angle, and then blam! We got ourselves a local wedge issue.

Makes for great message board fodder.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:03 pm

This gets even more fun. The Steelers seriously screwed the pooch on this.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

This gets even more fun. The Steelers seriously screwed the pooch on this.

I love the "if so and so doesn't come out and specifically support or say something about <insert whatever>, they don't have a problem with it".

Just like the Chris Carter pretty much saying Al is a racist.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:28 pm

MM just said on his show that Minkah Fitz said that decision to wear Rose's name was made from higher up in the org ( I guess Rooney) and wasn't really discussed as a team. I'm not sure if this was a tweet or not but if true, the Steelers screwed the pooch.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I could be wrong, but I'd guess the majority of the fan base has moved on and don't care anymore.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 pm

I could be wrong, but I'd guess the majority of the fan base has moved on and don't care anymore.
I see a lot of people on twitter and callers on the radio still talking about it. It's the hot take for the week or two.