NTP66's thread of IT

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:39 am

You can absolutely run one of these without a print server. Xerox's GUI isn't bad at all, so configuring it isn't difficult. There's a web console to make it even easier so that you're not doing it at the LCD screen. If you really want one, go for it.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:41 am

Nice. Yeah, I've wanted one forever. And now that the law practice is starting up, and the wife is still in school, now is a good time to get it done.

I threw my old Epson down the stairs onto the garage floor when we moved. Was very satisfying. :lol:

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am

Source of the post I threw my old Epson down the stairs onto the garage floor when we moved. Was very satisfying.
I envy you.

We have a lot of Xerox WorkCentre's at work, and I love them.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:44 am

It was satisfying. I did have to pick up the pieces, but then I took it to the dump in Latrobe and got to throw it two stories down into a giant metal trash compactor so it was a double dip on that satisfaction.

*crash*

Our work has Ricoh's and they're really bad.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby iamjs » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:33 am

We have a lot of Xerox WorkCentre's at work, and I love them.
We had Xerox Workcentres at our last office and for the first few months at this office. Those things never broke down. Occasionally we'd have to do some basic stuff like fusers on them and maybe a power supply every 3-4 years, but it seemed like those things would run forever. We had one that hit 600k pages, which was by far the most used, and it was more reliable than any other printer in the building and I don't think we did anything aside from toner/waste container replacements and maybe a fuser.
Our work has Ricoh's and they're really bad.
We've been running Sharp here for a little over three years. They're really nice when they work, but it seems like we have a tech called in for repairs at least once a quarter.

MR25

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Laptop/Windows updated last Thursday.

Now, when I remote in to VM, I get randomly kicked off the wifi, almost every half hour or so.

Coworker suggested flushing DNS and reconfig the IP. Did that, but no change.

Anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:12 pm

The easiest thing would be to uninstall the latest updates, since they appear to be causing the issue. I don't see how RDP'ing into a box would cause you getting kicked off wifi.

MR25

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 pm

Is there a way to uninstall specific updates without doing a full restore?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Is there a way to uninstall specific updates without doing a full restore?
Yep, on W10, click on Start and type View your update history. Once there, click on Uninstall updates at the top. You can sort the updates by Installed On to figure out which one to remove. If it does work, you can download the troubleshooter that will allow you to hide that update so that it doesn't automatically install in the future. This would be done after you've removed it and rebooted.

MR25

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:13 pm

... what about Windows 8?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:46 pm

:lol:

You should be able to get to it in the Control Panel\Programs and Features. I think there's a link to Windows Updates, maybe on the left? I can't recall. Haven't touched W7 or W8 in forever.

Kane

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Kane » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 pm

MR25

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm

My 5ish year old laptop is still kicking and aside from a little water spillage last month, still works like new so I haven't updated.

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm getting the sense that I'm experiencing some latency (?) issues with my internet on a more consistent basis, but I don't know how it's best to measure them to solicit more direct tech support...

I have Verizon Fios and I've always had a great time with it. I have a desktop on the first floor that has a wireless USB adapter - I can regularly get up towards 200 mbps with it, which is more than enough for me...there are times recently that it seemed like every hour on the hour it would sort of hang, I noticed that my hockey stream would kind of cease up and then go and then cease up for about three minutes...I measured this using the app's cache buffer...it would go down to 0, then gain 5 seconds of cache, eat through that back to 0, then wait a few beats and get 5 seconds back...and so on and so forth and then after a few minutes it would zip all the way up to like 3m 27s or whatever it was conditioned to hold and be fine...

I thought it was local to my desktop and its dime store wireless adapter...but over the weekend, I had my Samsung Galaxy S2 (dodint?) tablet streaming music and pushing video to my Samsung TV in the living room and even that started to exhibit similar issues (YouTube, for instance, would say that it lost internet connection or whatever for a couple of minutes and then be fine).

The next morning I power cycled the relevant pieces of hardware and everything was great for a couple days...but now today during some Microsoft Teams meetings I noticed some stuttering in a similar manner where audio/video would freeze for a bit (it'd even pop up the red triangle saying that my connection is kind of shitty), I notice no reduction in wireless "bars" (that may be meaningless)...so I'm guessing something else is going wrong intermittently...

I doubt that I'll have the ability to fix this...but I don't like to just call someone and complain broadly, so (assuming there isn't an easy solution) is there a tool or method I can use to help narrow down what/where my problem(s) is so that I can get the right help the first time...?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Do you have any devices that are hardwired into your router? If so, can you run through the same routine with it to see if you see the same issue? If you're on FiOS, you can definitely call them and explain that same situation, and there's a good chance they'd just replace your Verizon router for you if that's what ends up being the issue. They can also run tests on the fiber ONT (where your fiber comes into your place, which then connects to your router). I've had an ONT go bad in the past, but it was much more noticeable on the TV than the internet. At the end of the day, Verizon has the capability to run a number of tests to help troubleshoot the hardware since it's all Veizon's gear.

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Next time that it happens run a speed test and see what it says?

https://www.speedtest.net/

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:00 pm

Hmmm ok cool, I don't have anything hard-wired, no...I may be able to hard-wire something though...

I guess my concern is - if it's valid I'm unsure - someone comes out and tests something but it's in that 57 minute window where everything is fine...I just don't want to be rolled up in a carpet and thrown in the Schuylkill...

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 pm

If you login to your Verizon account, they should be able to run those same tests over chat. That may help if you do it when you're seeing issues. Plus, you don't have to talk to anyone...

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:41 pm

I haven't read the documentation yet, but I have my eye on a Xerox WorkCentre 5955i. It has Windows 10 drivers so I *assume* that I can run it without a print server, like a regular stand alone printer.

Any significant reason not to do this? :lol:
I won this WorkCentre for $26. :lol:

So as long as it works, even if it needs a full set of toner and a wifi adapter, I am WAY ahead. Just have to drive out to Athens, OH and pick it up.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... cctid=7047

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Update on my stupid situation: I found that disconnecting my wireless (via taskbar icon) and re-connecting it "solves" it. I was in the midst of a 20-30 mbps moment...disconnected, reconnected, back to 200 mbps immediately...

That seems weird to me, because again, this latency issue isn't limited to this device. I confirmed that my friend's cell phone also experienced this the other day on wifi...

On Tuesday, I'm going to test hard-wiring a laptop to it and see what the deal is...

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:47 am

I'd almost say that even if hardwired is fine, I'd be replacing the router at this point. If it's a Verizon router, they can swap it for you. If you go that route, see if you can get their latest "Quantum" router, if you have one of the old ActionTecs.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 am

I haven't read the documentation yet, but I have my eye on a Xerox WorkCentre 5955i. It has Windows 10 drivers so I *assume* that I can run it without a print server, like a regular stand alone printer.

Any significant reason not to do this? :lol:
I won this WorkCentre for $26. :lol:

So as long as it works, even if it needs a full set of toner and a wifi adapter, I am WAY ahead. Just have to drive out to Athens, OH and pick it up.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... cctid=7047
Yeah, that's just insane. Nice score.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 pm

When I got there, they had a 6000 series she hadn't listed yet. :( :lol:

I plugged this thing in and it does stuff. But it doesn't print; like, not even a configuration page. It thinks the paper trays are empty. Then I reboot. And the status page shows the trays have paper and the levels look correct. Then when I go to make a copy it says a resource is needed and that the paper is empty. You can't control much on the face of the unit and I haven't been able to connect it to my router yet. It won't connect directly via USB.

The thing giving me hope is that the default admin account has the default password. All things should be achievable from that start point.

Oh, and it has 80% toner, so enough for 211,000 pages. I should be set on that. It'll age out before I get that far.

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi, me again...last time probably.

So, the other night my Fios router/modem thing just went tits up...tried to troubleshoot it myself, couldn't do it, got them on the line, they couldn't do it...so, long story short, they came out and fixed some trouble with the wires outside. Problem fixed.

In the meantime, I had been tracking my desktop's performance...and it's very uneven. Namely with regard to the dBm (I think I capitalized the wrong letter, but I think it's oddly done), anyhow...it varies frequently. The desktop has a USB wireless adapter that was likely made at a Pink Berry. It's also on a different floor than the router/modem.

I don't love the work that goes into running an ethernet cable that far, especially at a rental property where it will be temporary work and I can't do it the right way. If I'm trying to up my dBm (well, lower, I suppose) - as sometimes it's good, sometimes I get 200+ mbps from this wireless adapter...but too often anymore it seems to be slacking...what is it that I need?

I was a little miffed about extenders vs boosters vs replicators vs power this and all that noise...I can't really figure out who is selling me snake oil and who is gonna solve my problem...given this knowledge, what's the best route to take - without really making a huge investment. I don't mind if this fix is temporary (i.e. something that only lasts a year or two)...that said, if there's a great solution for $50 and a garbage, maybe-solution for $20, I'm obviously gonna spend the $50...

Please help.

Signed,
Latent and Confused

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:56 am

When I got there, they had a 6000 series she hadn't listed yet. :( :lol:

I plugged this thing in and it does stuff. But it doesn't print; like, not even a configuration page. It thinks the paper trays are empty. Then I reboot. And the status page shows the trays have paper and the levels look correct. Then when I go to make a copy it says a resource is needed and that the paper is empty. You can't control much on the face of the unit and I haven't been able to connect it to my router yet. It won't connect directly via USB.
Turned out to be the motherboard that controls the 'finisher', an attachment that does stuff like bind books and staple, etc. that I don't have was fried. Turns out if you short pins 3/5 on the connector on the back of the machine it tricks it into thinking the finisher self-check is fine.

This guys video was perfect: