2020-2021 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Sports Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:55 pm

A couple thoughts:

Nice to see these guys apparently beat out Patti - I thought he stunk and they are better than not stinking, at worst.

Bad Davis, ugh.

Mack or Wayne?? Hmm

Kyi Wright not even being a backup for sure is disappointing.

Do we have a defense?

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:58 pm

DEFENSE
DE1 - Jones
DE2 - Alexandre or Morgan

DT1 - Camp
DT2 - David Green

DT1 - Danielson
DT2 - Bentley
DT3 - Clancy

DE1 - Weaver
DE2 - Baldonando

Money LB1 - Campbell
Money LB2 - Dennis

Mike LB1 - Wendell Davis
Mike LB2 - Pine
Mike LB3 - George

Star LB1 - Bright
Star LB2 - Petrishen

SS1 - Ford
SS2 - Brandon Hill

FS1 - Hamlin
FS2 - Hallett

CB1 - Pinnock
CB2 - Rashad Battle

CB1 - Marquis Williams
CB2 - AJ Woods

Addison and Woods are the kick returners, followed by Vincent Davis and DJ Turner. Addison is also the starting punt returner, followed by Turner and Jaylon Barden.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:02 pm

A couple thoughts:

Nice to see these guys apparently beat out Patti - I thought he stunk and they are better than not stinking, at worst.

Bad Davis, ugh.

Mack or Wayne?? Hmm

Kyi Wright not even being a backup for sure is disappointing.

Do we have a defense?
Wright's the No2 TE behind Krull. I expect him to be the primary backup. This is the first mention I've seen of Moraga at all since camp started, while Wright has at least popped up in a few of the practice/scrimmage highlight clips.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 pm

Also a couple of minor roster notes:
- WR Michael Smith is no longer on the team. Narduzzi said he suffered a lower back injury.
- Bryce Nelms is also not listed on the roster, but is still with the team. He's out due to a non-football related injury.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:15 pm

No real surprises on D. Davis over Pine maybe, but Dizzy hinted at that last week. That's still such a good defense without Twyman and Mathis

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:41 pm

Some thoughts on the two-deep:

1. I agree with Willeyeam about the QBs. I think this job comes down to Beville and Yellen next year, and then Yarnell gets into the mix shortly after that. PL immediately started talking about Patti transferring, but I think he sticks around. There aren't exactly a ton of places for him to transfer to right now. Narduzzi also talked about this earlier in camp...basically, you're always one hit away from having to go to your backup QB, and now COVID could complicate that even more. What if two of the top three QBs get sick? I think they'll try to keep all four around through this season.

2. I think the most telling thing about the RB depth is the listing of four names as RB2 option. I think there will be a very heavy RB rotation this year. I'll be interested to see how much Abanikanda has picked up the playbook, pass blocking, etc.

3. Someone on PL mentioned that the WRs that cracked the depth chart basically amount to the five remaining WRs who caught a pass here last year (Mack, Shockey, Wayne, Tipton, and Vardzel), the transfer, and the true freshman phenom. With Smith and Butler-Jenkins gone, I think Gipson is the only WR remaining on the roster not on the two-deep who isn't a true freshman or walk-on.

4. According to Jim Hammett, Naduzzi mentioned a couple of true freshmen on defense at his press conference today. He called Bengally Kamara a "special teams guru". He also that while Dayon Hayes is very talented, he may have a hard time getting on the field this year given what's in front of him.

5. Mentioned that Wendell Davis won the starting MLB job based on consistency. Not surprising at all.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:48 pm

- The RB depth chart is horseshit.
- Ugh Vardzel. Why do they put a talentless player in a position for me to hate him.
- Not sold on anyone on the OL other than Hargrove and Morrissey, though I do have hoped for Kradel and Zubovic. Who the hell is Keldrick Wilson?

- Love the DL. Hope Danielson and the other DT’s can fill Twymann’s void.
- Pine the perennial backup.
- Depth at LB seems weak. Was Albert Tucker’s injury last year a career ender?
- Same can be said for the secondary. Lots to prove after the three big names.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Some good takes Re: depth chart.

Patti seemed ok but nothing about his actually in game performance suggests that he is an ACC QB. FBS quality? Perhaps. But P5? Maybe, but not good enough to make a positive impact. So it is encouraging to both Yellen and Beville beat him out.

Good to see Brandon George and AJ Woods make the two deep after burning their redshirts to run aimlessly on the kickoff teams last year. Nothing is more idiotic than burning a redshirt for special teams in this day and age. Just let guys like Petrishen run down the field while the kicker boots the ball into the end zone.

Speaking of Petrishen, LB has to be really thin if a He makes the two deep after playing LB for like two weeks. I am most excited to see how the LBs play becuase bright should make a step forward and there are new young faces.

I listened to Peak’s most recent pantherlair podcast and he spent a lot of time talking about Battle competing for playing time. Good to see him in the two deep. Peak says he projects to a safety in the long term but you might as well give him a shot if he earns it. At least they aren’t acting like the pirates with cole tucker and just saying “f it, make him a tight end just to get on the field.”

Hopefully Sibley gets more carries this year. Carter won’t be around to waste plays on, so maybe they can waste plays on Sibley instead.

Stoosh makes a good point about the WR crew. These guys better stay healthy because there ain’t a lot of depth.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Looking back at LBs, pitt had 1 lb recruit in 2017 (Bright) plus two guys who ended up at LB (Albert tucker and Kyle Nunn). Tucker isn’t on the roster and nunn transfered to a lower level. Davis was the only LB in the 2018 class.

So those two guys were hits and the coaching staff is really damn lucky both guys panned out. But one LB a class isn’t going to cut the mustard.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:58 am

Yep, Tucker's injury/injuries turned out to be career-ending. He took a medical exemption in the spring.

Keldrick Wilson was a grad transfer OT added from Hampton. He supposedly had offers as a grad transfer from USC, Indiana, and WVU. I'm not expecting much but Narduzzi suggested yesterday that both Wilson and Goncalves should see a decent amount of time at their respective positions despite being listed as backups. I can't imagine either Wilson or Houy of them being any markedly worse than Ulizio was last year at RT. Here's hoping. I guess we'll see.

Speaking of the OL, true freshman Michael Statham is listed at 6'7", 370 lbs. Good god.

At wideout, Mack, Shocky, and Tipton have each battled injury issues there. Any long-term injuries to them may bump either Barden or Henningham into the lineup, though I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see one of those two work their way ahead of Tipton by year's end, anyway. I am curious to know where Gipson stands; someone mentioned on PL that he was hurt for part of camp, but I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere.

At LB, I think the starting three is as solid as anything Pitt has had in a while. I think Pine should be perfectly capable spelling Davis. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Petrishen. SirVocea Dennis struggled in coverage last year but that's to be expected. They may run into the same sort of thing with Solomon Deshields & Bengally Kamara this year, though I don't think that's a reason to keep them off the field.

At CB/DB, Peak also mentioned - and I think he may be right - that Rashad Battle (and Jahvante Royal) may be the least talked-about 4-star recruit(s) that Pitt has had in recent memory. Maybe it's because both aren't local kids...I'm not sure. But from what Peak said, it sounds like Battle could be a very good player here very quickly, and I'm excited to see him play.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm

What is everyone planning to do for the super panther v. governors game?

-Do you have ACCN
-Will you tailgate
-How long do you plan on watching that snoozefest
-The weather on Saturday is projected to be 76 degrees and sunny (translation: good weather for doing....pretty much everything). How many plays until you regret sitting around watching this game and wondering why you arent spending your time outside?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:31 pm

I will probably check in periodically on my YTTV app whilst drinking beers on the porch of our cabin we rented in Gatlinburg for the weekend. H2P

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:33 pm

I will probably check in periodically on my YTTV app whilst drinking beers on the porch of our cabin we rented in Gatlinburg for the weekend. H2P
Exhibit "A" of things that are more productive than watching pitt sports

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:44 pm

What is everyone planning to do for the super panther v. governors game?

-Do you have ACCN
-Will you tailgate
-How long do you plan on watching that snoozefest
-The weather on Saturday is projected to be 76 degrees and sunny (translation: good weather for doing....pretty much everything). How many plays until you regret sitting around watching this game and wondering why you arent spending your time outside?
Re: ACCN, I'm going to get one of the trials for Youtube TV or whatever to cover the first two games.

Given that going to games is pretty much out of the question, I'll tailgate at home. My plan for however long this season lasts will be weather-dependant. As long as it's not ridiculously hot (a la UCF last year) or raining, I'll be out on the back deck watching on the iPad. If it sucks, I'll be on the couch in the living room watching. Food this weekend will be garlic parm wings from the air fryer and beers.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:58 pm

That is actually not a bad idea re: trial subscriptions. I will be camping in Cook's Forest next week so maybe i'll get a trial for the Louisville game or something. We have a Roku and youtube tv is apparently on it so that might end up working out OK.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:23 pm

There are a few ACC games of note that might give a better indicator of this season’s prospects than the game against the governors. FSU is playing a crap GT game. Should be interesting to see if FSU and deputy Norvell have any trouble with GT. FSU is a 12.5 point favorite, but they are going to be overhyped due to the brand. Lousiville is another wildcard and they are playing the WKU Hilltoppers, who won 9 games last year including a bowl game and another over a dreadful Arkansas team @tomas. Louisville could go either way for pitt so hopefully this WKU might give a hint of how they really are.

If pitt wants to win 9 or 10 games they probably need to win one or both against the ville and FSU so these are important.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:03 am

How would someone, like ya boy meow, stream this game today without having unprotected sex with the internet?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Rashad Weaver out with COVID

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:24 pm

who are the other 5

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

SATFOP.

Why

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 pm

H2P

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Saturdays are for...??

Hey slappy

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Things are going too well....

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Turner making a good impression

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Awesome start. This is how these openers should be going. Now don't poop away this lead.