Job and General Employment Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 pm

My company is a mess so I started applying everywhere and anywhere last week. Yesterday I was invited to complete a first round online interview. Apparently it’s an automated things because I have until tomorrow night at 11 to do the interview. Questions will pop up on the screen for me to answer and before submitting the interview I’ll be able to watch my responses and do retakes if desired.

This is some of the weirdest **** I’ve ever heard of.
Are you going to wear pants?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:54 pm

My company is a mess so I started applying everywhere and anywhere last week. Yesterday I was invited to complete a first round online interview. Apparently it’s an automated things because I have until tomorrow night at 11 to do the interview. Questions will pop up on the screen for me to answer and before submitting the interview I’ll be able to watch my responses and do retakes if desired.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Anytime it’s video I don’t wear pants. It’s like a full body mullet.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:20 pm

I haven't worn pants since March 13th, 2020.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:22 pm

Anytime it’s video I don’t wear pants. It’s like a full body mullet.
I did one of these. Mine had three attempts. I used one attempt each time because I felt if I kept doing more I would eff it up.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:46 pm

AI then analyzes your responses and then decides which ones to let the hiring manager watch. Totally out of your hands. Its wild ****

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:03 pm

AI then analyzes your responses and then decides which ones to let the hiring manager watch. Totally out of your hands. Its wild ****
Great. So blowing smoke up the interviewers ass isn't enough anymore, I have to do it to a machine as well.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:10 pm

Pretty much. Say 100 people apply for this job, the AI will determine which 5 or 10 people or whatever number are the best people to show the hiring manager. No way of getting feedback.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:26 pm

This is how skynet becomes self-aware.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:29 pm

I guess I’ll just drop buzzwords then.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 pm

I guess I’ll just drop buzzwords then.
Read the job description.
Having used a version of this software it most likely does get seen by a person. The automated pieces are rather pricey and at the current time can open businesses up to lawsuits for discrimination.
Of course I could be wrong and it is a machine.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:36 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/opinions ... index.html

in academia I know it goes the opposite, but was thinking of the child-free posters when reading this.
I felt this until I had kids.

I think it's just a vicious cycle.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:49 am

Just got word today that I'll have my first patent issued here within the next few months as it's been accepted by the patent office. I'm an inventor, yo.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:52 am

That's sick, congrats :thumb:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:52 am

Congrats man

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 am

Just got word today that I'll have my first patent issued here within the next few months as it's been accepted by the patent office. I'm an inventor, yo.
Congrats, man!

When did you apply? I sent in a final draft back in April and still haven't received any word.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:07 am

Didn’t realize methods of self-gratification could be patented.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:20 am

Lit fam

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:26 am

Height nerd status: achieved

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:55 am

Didn’t realize methods of self-gratification could be patented.
If they could, I wouldn’t be going to work anymore!

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:22 am

Nice work! It's too bad that we see no money from company patents.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am

Congrats, man!

When did you apply? I sent in a final draft back in April and still haven't received any word.
We had to send in some additional documents in early August. I think the original application was.... June of last year? I'd have to look.

I've got something like 4-7 others that are in application stages.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:46 am

Nice work! It's too bad that we see no money from company patents.
Yup.... I had to explain that to my boss when he was going on about Fauci having a vaccine patented for COVID-19 :face:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 am

Congrats, man!

We had to send in some additional documents in early August. I think the original application was.... June of last year? I'd have to look.

I've got something like 4-7 others that are in application stages.
nerd

I have one other in process. Only took me 20 years to get a patent. I did ask our patent lawyer when to expect a filing date, and she said next year.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:05 pm

We're how many months into virtual meetings now, but people still don't understand how to set up Zoom calls to auto-mute all particpants.