2020-2021 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Sports Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:47 am

Start time of the game vs the Austin Peay Governors is 4:00.

USA today is predicting a very pitt like 6-5 (6-4) this season. I think 6 wins is a baseline for an acceptable season but its hard to see more than 7 and doubtfully 8 wins.

Would like some takes on:

-How you plan on watching these games. Anyone going to tailgate in their yard or something?

-Looks like the WR situation is going to be Mack, Shockey, Wayne, and Addison with Addison getting some legit time. Maybe these guys wont stink? I don't know.

-I was feeling pretty lazy yesterday so spent a lot of time re-reading last year's super panther thread. We were really riding high prior to the Miami game. We were not riding high after the Miami game.

-On that note, pitt could arguably be 4-1 going into this year's Miami game (assuming college fb makes it through 5 games). So it will be another big game. That Miami-ND-FSU stretch might be tough.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:49 am

I think Pitt is going to go undefeated and get left out of the CFB playoff in favor of a 4-0 Ohio State team.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:56 am

I’m dying for a depth chart. There’s been no end of spring depth chart. No start of fall camp depth chart. Nothing. I need to know what weird ass decisions this coaching staff is making, how underwhelming the offensive line is going to be, and which linebacker will get playing time as a very obvious upgrade to Brightwell in the middle.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:07 am

I agree with this thinking. Without seeing a depth chart, guys that would be nice to see take a step forward:

Shocky
Jared Wayne
Kyi Wright
Cam Bright
Anyone of Deslin Alexandre, Baldonado, and John Morgan. These guys aren't even going to start but are all legit ACC players.
Chase Pine (lol I kid, he isn't taking a step forward)
Good Davis

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 am

I think Shocky is gonna be v good. Wayne impressed me a little bit last year, pretty much coming out of nowhere. Solid possession guy. I think we have good WRs

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:12 am

That damn Miami game made me throw up last year. They scored that late TD to take the lead down the end I sit. Pitt needs to win that game and BC. That would be a 10 win season and a good season. Instead they lose to 2 shitty teams.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:28 am

Pitt added WR DJ Turner (5'9", 206), a 4-year transfer from Maryland to the roster. Turner was a 4-star recruit in 2016, but committed very early to Maryland. Chris Beatty was his position coach from 2016-2018 at UMD, which probably helped get him to Pitt. He broke into the starting lineup last year as a WR, but was suspended for the season after three games due to an on-field incident. He was also a kick and punt returner. I found a couple of clips of him on YouTube and he's got some explosiveness to him. Had a really nice punt return against Temple last year. Reminds me a bit of Quadree Henderson. I don't know that he'll get into the starting lineup as a wideout over the aforementioned names, but the depth doesn't hurt.

Also, TE Jake Zilinskas and LB John Petrishen were both put on scholarship yesterday.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:38 pm

One thing I'm really interested to watch across the ACC, SEC, and Big XII will be the effect of the condensed schedules and the lack of OOC games. One thing I like about Pitt securing the Austin Peay game is that they do have at least one game to kind of work out some things out before hitting the ground running the following week.

I thought the 5/6-win projections were selling Pitt a little bit short, but:
- losing Twyman and Mathis is going to hurt. The defense will still be good, but not AS good.
- I have no idea if the O-line will be any better. Subsequently...
- I have no idea if Kenneth Shane Pickett will be any better or if Pitt will have any semblance of a running game.

That said, I still think like their chances to be 4-1 heading to Miami. Even with the issues on offense, I think Pitt should be better than Syracuse, NC State, and BC.

Re: the receivers. I agree that Mack, Shocky, Wayne, and Addison will probably be the top four wideouts. If we go six wideouts, I'd like to see Gipson, Barden or Henningham in those spots but who am I kidding? It'll be Tipton and Vardzel.

(In all seriousness, I do hope Tipton stays healthy and has a good year.)

I do think Krull is going to be the real deal, although "just catch a pass" is a pretty low bar to have to clear. Now I've thought about Nakia Griffin-Stewart again, and now that f'ing twitch in my eye is back. Dammit.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:39 pm

Why did you have to go there. You had a good post going

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:48 pm

The offensive line is a huge question mark. What a poorly recruited area that has been. Running game success depends on not using Bad Davis.

Also, **** Vardzel.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:51 pm

What are the Pitts faithful expecting from this team if they play a full season? I don't expect much, which should spell the end of Narduzzi, imo.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:51 pm

-How you plan on watching these games. Anyone going to tailgate in their yard or something?
I'm hoping most of these games will be available on one of the standard ESPN stations. My biggest issue is going to be ACC Network access. We have XFinity which doesn't/won't carry it, can't get Fios in our area, and Playstation Vue doesn't exist anymore.

I really hate to drop $55-65/month on Hulu + Live TV or Youtube TV just for Pitt games.

If I can watch most of the games on TV, I may do tailgate-at-home stuff, grill up some food, have some beers, and watch them while sitting out on the back deck. Weather-wise, fall is my favorite time of year so if it's nice out, I'll make the most of it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:52 pm

I'm hoping most of these games will be available on one of the standard ESPN stations. My biggest issue is going to be ACC Network access. We have XFinity which doesn't/won't carry it, can't get Fios in our area, and Playstation Vue doesn't exist anymore.

I really hate to drop $55-65/month on Hulu + Live TV or Youtube TV just for Pitt games.

If I can watch most of the games on TV, I may do tailgate-at-home stuff, grill up some food, have some beers, and watch them while sitting out on the back deck. Weather-wise, fall is my favorite time of year so if it's nice out, I'll make the most of it.
Streaming isn't an option? Might be easier to just get a chromecast or something and find a stream if an that network?

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 pm

I have Hulu with Live TV, so I'll be watching all the games sitting on my couch. Maybe a game or 2 I will host a tailgate with our usual crew. We have soccer and basketball with the kids Saturday mornings, so we'll be busy with that before the games.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 pm

What are the Pitts faithful expecting from this team if they play a full season? I don't expect much, which should spell the end of Narduzzi, imo.
Unless they go like 1-10 or something, I don't think it will be the end of Narduzzi.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Streaming isn't an option? Might be easier to just get a chromecast or something and find a stream if an that network?
I'll have to check into that. PS Vue was active last year so I just bit the bullet and subscribed to that for a few months.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:52 pm

My pessimistic scenario: They beat Austin Peay, but end up heading to Miami with a 2-3 record because they not only lose to Louisville at home, but they also drop two of the games against Syracuse, NC State, and BC. This happens because 1) the offense as a unit still stinks, 2) the losses of Twyman & Mathis hurt more than expected, 3) Ford opts out or gets hurt, or 4) some combination of the above. They go 0-3 in the Miami-ND-FSU stretch. They manage to right the ship against GT and VT but then get boat-raced at Clemson to end the season 4-7.

My reasonable best-case scenario: They start 4-1, taking care of business against Syracuse, NC State, and BC, losing just the home game to Louisville. For some reason, those two Florida trips feel like losses to me but the ND game feels like a win. I just think they match up well with ND this season, so if they can beat ND at home and then steal one of the Miami/FSU games, that puts them at 6-2. GT is getting a lot of hype this year. They've got some talent and there's something to be said for that Year Two jump that programs tend to make under new coaches. Every year, Pitt loses one it probably shouldn't; GT is that game this year. VT is also getting a lot of love because of Hendon Hooker, but I still don't know how good they really are and the rain was a big neutralizer in BudFosterFest last year. I think Pitt wins at home against VT, sending them to Clemson at 7-3.

My super-optimistic scenario: The O-line as a unit makes the collective jump from 2019 to 2020 that the LBs and DBs did from 2018 to 2019. Pass protection and a run game do wonders for Pickett and the skill players. A running game is established. Pickett has time to throw. Addison really is THAT good, and Krull makes the TE position a legitimate threat. Everyone stays healthy on defense. They're 5-0 after BC. They take 2 of the 3 against Miami, ND, and FSU, win at GT and then absolutely paste VT at home just because of last year. They're 9-1 heading to Clemson. Charge the superweapon.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:50 pm

Cool, always look forward to your responses @Stoosh

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:17 am

I think things would really have to go off the rails for the team to fire Narduzzi. There are extenuating circumstances (pandemic) and a high likelihood that the athletic department budget will be a disaster. now is not the time to pay someone several million dollars a year not to coach.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:20 am

They'd have to go 1-10 and him lose his mind and call the team lazy thugs imo

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:13 am

https://triblive.com/sports/acc-media-p ... -rankings/

A very pitt ranking of 8th out of 15 in the ACC.

If this is supposed to be Nard dog's best team and pitts best team since the Wanny era, no one else seems to care.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am

https://triblive.com/sports/acc-media-p ... -rankings/

A very pitt ranking of 8th out of 15 in the ACC.

If this is supposed to be Nard dog's best team and pitts best team since the Wanny era, no one else seems to care.
VT, Miami and FSU being where they are here is just *chefs kiss* vintage ACC media.

I tend not to get too worked up by preseason polls but one frustrating thing to see is just how much benefit of the doubt some programs seem to get for brand/history. I'm talking about the aforementioned three programs along with a few others. I can at least get Miami because D'Eriq King may be good enough to fix most of the problems there himself. FSU has some high-end talent with four players on the ACC first-team AA list (by comparison, Clemson has 5, Pitt has 3), so I guess it remains to be seen whether the trainwreck they've seemed to be at times off the field carries over. Same with VT.

To that end, though, I can't say I blame the voters. Pitt breaks its perception when it stops costing itself 10-win seasons by losing winnable games like Miami, VT, and BC in 2019. Or by beating bad UNC and Miami teams in 2018, and then beating Stanford in a very winnable bowl game.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm

WE HAVE A DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE
QB1- Pickett