NTP66's thread of IT

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am

We converted everyone off of desktops and onto Dell laptops and finished that project last year. Along with getting everyone up to Win10 about two years ago. So we were pretty well positioned for this, other than VPN capacity issues at first.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:45 am

Laptops have been our standard for a while, so I’m not sure why there was so much talk about this at first. We had vpn capacity issues early on, but only because management did a poor job communicating the various methods for accessing our environment. Most I know use my Citrix Desktop now.

faftorial

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:33 am

The search functionality in Outlook is garbage. I still miss Eudora.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 am

Eudora? Jesus. That’s almost as bad as Lotus Notes.

willeyeam

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:00 am

We use mimecast and I love it. I don't know what I'd do if I left and the new gig didn't have it

mikey

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:00 pm

There’s always the possibility that the drivers of the USB card need to be updated, especially if you’ve kept Windows 10 up to date. You nixed it, but if you do have another machine, that would be the easiest first step. Try and download a large file (Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a good test), let it run for a minute and see the average speed and how long it’ll take to download; cancel the download before it completes. Now insert the USB card, disable the other adapter, and repeat the download and compare.

This is also assuming that the devices are in the same physical location. If they are not, you can always survey the area for which wireless channels are crowded.

When you say you rebooted, did you happen to reboot your router? Lastly, are you using the router that Verizon provided you? If all else fails, purchasing a quality USB wireless adapter is an inexpensive option. I don’t know how much the troubleshooting time is worth it in the end.
Thanks for the informative, prompt response NTP...I don't know maybe it's just normal traffic, because I checked it last night and this morning, and I'm getting like 150 mbps download now...so, maybe I was just being an impatient baby b*tch boy...I thought Fios wasn't as susceptible to high-traffic times as cable was, or maybe that's just some snake oil sales pitch...either way, I'll continue to monitor it...

Is it likely that the hardware itself would wax and ween like that...? Probably not, right?

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Fios shouldn’t be susceptible to ‘crowding’ like traditional coax-based cable is, no. If you’re looking good now, there’s always a chance that there was an issue on Verizon’s end. If you keep flipping back and forth from hood to bad, it’s definitely point to hardware, though I’d expect to see it just fail completely instead.

Shyster

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 pm

robbiestoupe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:02 am

Any good suggestions for a wireless repeater/signal booster? I have my son set up upstairs for school, but the signal isn’t strong enough and he’s having issues staying connected. Hopefully it’s as simple as getting a booster

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Any good suggestions for a wireless repeater/signal booster? I have my son set up upstairs for school, but the signal isn’t strong enough and he’s having issues staying connected. Hopefully it’s as simple as getting a booster
Which router do you currently have?

robbiestoupe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:12 pm

The one from consolidated 😫. It’s a Zhone

802.11N

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Man, I don't know. I have no experience with extenders, and the ones I do know of cost more than brand new routers do. I take it you have to use that router? Because that's probably your issue. Can't run an ethernet cable from it to the location?

robbiestoupe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:00 pm

I may try the Ethernet route. They wired the house so each bedroom has an Ethernet outlet, but I’m not sure if they are actively connected to the router.

I could buy my own router I guess, just not up to speed on the latest tech like I used to be

Gabe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Gabe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:13 pm

I bought a wireless extender on Amazon like a month ago. Most of the time, it works really well. Basically creates a new network that connects to your current wifi. For instance, the original network is "wifinetwork". The new one would be "wifinetwork-b". You then connect to the new one in the location that has a poor signal. twice, after a power outage, I had to re-initialize it but overall, I have zero complaints.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:04 pm

I may try the Ethernet route. They wired the house so each bedroom has an Ethernet outlet, but I’m not sure if they are actively connected to the router.

I could buy my own router I guess, just not up to speed on the latest tech like I used to be
If you go the new router route, I still recommend this:

Eddy has this one, I believe:

If every room has an Ethernet port, I would roll with that first. They have to be wired to a central location, so if you can find that, you can figure out if it’s wired to your router or not, or even wire it up yourself. I use a gigabit switch in my basement for half of the house since my router only has 4-5 ports. Works beautifully.

If you want to go the repeater route, you could try and find one of the outlets that’s actually wired near the room you want access in, and plug the repeater into it so that the backbone is wired. That’s much more reliable than using a wireless backbone between your router and a wireless client.

@Gabe: Which repeater do you have?

robbiestoupe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Yeah @Gabe if you could give your repeater, I may try that route.

@NTP66 there’s a distributor panel in my basement where I can distribute coax and Ethernet ports, but for the life of me I have no clue how it works. I have DSL so the router is running off the phone line. However, that jack is being used on the outlet plate near my tv, so how do I get the wan1 port back down to the distributor panel to spread to the other outlets? Or can I assume since one outlet near the router has DSL, all outlets have DSL?

When I look at the distributor panel, all Ethernet connections are disconnected. I can’t find where the phone line is coming into the house, so it seems like a dead end.

I may ask my neighbor to come over and take a look. He works at google, he should be able to figure it out :lol:

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:38 pm

DSL? Christ, do you live in 1997? I genuinely had no idea that DSL was still around. :lol:

Your DSL modem would have to be connected to your router somehow. Do you have an ethernet cable going into your router? Assuming you do, it's gotta be in the WAN port, and it'll lead to the modem. Are you saying that your DSL modem is not in the same physical location as your router, as in it's in the basement? I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what's going on. Got any photos of the router, modem, and panel?

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:58 pm

I have two of those routers, and they are great. I am using standard but updated firmware. @NTP66 , do you ever have issues where the routers become unresponsive to the ASUS app or accessing the dashboard via router.asus.com? A usual reboot of everything fixes it, but it happens a couple of times a week. We don’t ever lose speed or connectivity, just the ability to look at settings, throttle my wife’s Drive downloads while I’m gaming, and so on. :lol:

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:03 pm

I have two of those routers, and they are great. I am using standard but updated firmware. @NTP66 , do you ever have issues where the routers become unresponsive to the ASUS app or accessing the dashboard via router.asus.com? A usual reboot of everything fixes it, but it happens a couple of times a week. We don’t ever lose speed or connectivity, just the ability to look at settings, throttle my wife’s Drive downloads while I’m gaming, and so on. :lol:
I have never used the ASUS app, or accessed the router via that URL, so I can't really help you there. Are you using ASUS's stock firmware, or Merlin's? I've been running the latter since day 1. I also disabled the redirect to router.asus.com, as I simply use either the local address when I'm at home or my DDNS address outside of home.

DigitalGypsy66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 pm

Nah I'm using the default firmware. I'm afraid of bricking everything. 😂

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:03 am

You can always reset to factory defaults. I’m a big fan of the firmware, personally.

Gabe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby Gabe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:59 am

Yeah @Gabe if you could give your repeater, I may try that route.

@NTP66 there’s a distributor panel in my basement where I can distribute coax and Ethernet ports, but for the life of me I have no clue how it works. I have DSL so the router is running off the phone line. However, that jack is being used on the outlet plate near my tv, so how do I get the wan1 port back down to the distributor panel to spread to the other outlets? Or can I assume since one outlet near the router has DSL, all outlets have DSL?

When I look at the distributor panel, all Ethernet connections are disconnected. I can’t find where the phone line is coming into the house, so it seems like a dead end.

I may ask my neighbor to come over and take a look. He works at google, he should be able to figure it out :lol:
This is the one I purchased. works great.

NTP66

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:15 pm

I was going to suggest TP-Link, since I’m a fan of their other networking gear. For $20, that is probably worth a shot.

robbiestoupe

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:31 pm

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Here are some photos NTP. A couple of the distributor panel, one of the outlet and one at the back of the router. I only assume it's DSL because that is what the input says it is. I assume the ethernet cables with the connector in the middle is where the DSL is coming in. I believe that connector is some kind of converter.

The router and outlet are near the TV, and the panel is in the basement.

dodint

NTP66's thread of IT

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:35 am

I've always dreamed of moving away from the terrible sub-$300 personal all-in-one printers. The day dream always ended up with me buying a used document center. Well, that day has come.

That said, I've been around those that have had to administer these things at the enterprise level and it looks like a ton of ass pain. My thinking is that if I take one of these devices and use it occasionally it won't have the upkeep concerns of an enterprise deployment with hundreds of users.

I haven't read the documentation yet, but I have my eye on a Xerox WorkCentre 5955i. It has Windows 10 drivers so I *assume* that I can run it without a print server, like a regular stand alone printer.

Any significant reason not to do this? :lol: