Police earning the hate

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Kid gloves was incorrect phrasing on my part.

But in this case, they were in a shootout and were still able to bring the man in, and chalked this all up to "oh well he was just having a bad day". The cops responded appropriately in this scenario.

I still can't see how you can take the Jacob Brown case and say it was in anyway handled correctly. An unarmed man walking away from a situation should not get shot 7 times.

I know that you are pushing your irrational agenda... but who said that the situation was handled correctly?

No one...

But continue with your agenda..

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:08 pm

agenda? it's a message board, people express opinions. If this were his agenda, can you imagine pursuing that by truing to persuade 4 dudes on a 100 person message board?

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:10 pm

But again, when you look at only one side of things, and have a singular focus on it, and refuse to have an open mind and see the whole picture, "blind" hate typically develops.

Are you referring to me specifically or people in general? If referring to me, what makes you think I'm not seeing the "whole picture"?

CBear3

Police earning the hate

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:20 pm

I think you're arguing with nobody, MR

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:27 pm

I think you're arguing with nobody, MR

I just taking the use of force discussion and pondering aloud more than anything else (the you was general and not directed anywhere in particular). Wasn't meant to come across as an argument, even though it likely did.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:21 am

NJ Cops Admit to Vandalizing Cars of Man who Filed Complaint Against Them

https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2020/08/cop ... -says.html

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:39 am

We have to hear the car's side of the story.

NAN

Police earning the hate

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:57 am

We have to hear the car's side of the story.
No, the cops admitted it. The cars do not need to speak.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:21 pm

They smashed the windows and slashed the tires, and it was only $500 in damages?

I think that was probably the injured party's deductible, not the actual value of the damages.

Troy Loney

Police earning the hate

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:40 pm

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 pm

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:23 pm

Highway Stop-And-Frisk: How Pennsylvania State Troopers Conduct Illegal Traffic Searches
https://theappeal.org/highway-stop-and- ... -searches/
The Appeal and Spotlight PA reviewed 32 cases from 2016 to 2020 that arose from stops by troopers with the Pennsylvania State Police interdiction unit in Cumberland, Franklin, and Dauphin counties. The news organizations analyzed dozens of affidavits and court documents from the stops, and interviewed researchers who study traffic stops, civil rights attorneys, and police training experts.

In total, eight cases reviewed by The Appeal and Spotlight PA were thrown out in court because of the police’s failure to establish probable cause, while nine more are still active and several have pending motions to suppress. More than a third of the cases have been sealed from public view because the charges were dismissed or withdrawn.

To justify their searches, state police often claimed that a driver was nervous, sweating, or eating. One officer went so far as to say a dollar-sign tattoo on a man’s neck was an indicator of criminal activity that justified detaining him for a K-9 search. Officers also used the same language to justify their stops, no matter the context or circumstances of the arrest, a violation of their training.

Police also held people during traffic stops longer than legally allowed. In one case, a man was held for nearly two hours before he was arrested. Drivers also had little choice in whether to allow police to conduct a search of their cars. In the review of cases, even when drivers had the legal right to deny a search, police still called in K-9 units, which courts have said is not an invasion of privacy.

Maybe not an invasion of privacy, but in Rodriguez v. United States, 575 U.S. ___ (2015), the SCOTUS held that "a police stop exceeding the time needed to handle the matter for which the stop was made violates the Constitution’s shield against unreasonable seizures," and consequently a traffic stop is unlawful if "it is prolonged beyond the time reasonably required to complete the mission of issuing a ticket for the violation." When the police pull you over for speeding or a broken taillight, they cannot constitutionally hold you any longer than is necessary to give you that ticket. But I guess our State Police here in PA never got that memo.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:05 pm

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:29 pm

California Police Unions Once Again Side With Bad Cops To Kill a Good Bill
https://reason.com/2020/09/02/californi ... good-bill/
California is one of only five states that does not have a formal process for decertifying bad cops to keep them from finding patrol work. And it looks like it's going to stay that way.

In the middle of a massive push for policing reforms in America, law enforcement unions have defeated S.B. 731, a California bill that would have created a commission to hear cases of cops who have engaged in misconduct and determine whether they'd be stripped of their certifications.

Introduced for the first time in 2019 by state Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Gardena), S.B. 731 passed the California Senate unanimously but didn't make it to the California Assembly floor before the legislative session ended Tuesday.

The Associated Press notes that law enforcement unions scrambled to lobby lawmakers to stop Bradford's bill from progressing without numerous changes. A representative from police unions in Los Angeles and San Francisco told the A.P. the bill was "deeply flawed."

Several law enforcement unions in the state say they want a process in place to decertify bad cops. They even made a web page to insist that they support things like a database of officers who have been fired for misconduct, and "a fair, reasonable and workable decertification process." But they object to Bradford's commission because only three of the nine members would be police officers. Four of the other members would be members of nonprofit or academic institutions and community-based organizations that have experience on "issues related to police misconduct." One member would be a citizen who has been a survivor of police misconduct (or a relative of somebody who did not survive misconduct). And one would be an attorney with "experience involving oversight of police officers." Police unions determined that this newly created board would be, in the Associated Press's words, "inherently biased against officers."
The tl;dr is that the police unions killed a reform bill because the oversight boards created by the bill would only be one-third cop, which apparently isn't enough.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:16 pm

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:54 pm

Tempe police officer under investigation after holding Black man at gunpoint while searching for white suspect
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/tempe ... te-suspect
TEMPE, Ariz. - A Tempe police officer is under investigation after holding a Black man at gunpoint while searching for a white suspect outside of a hotel on Aug. 29, officials say.

According to a report released by Tempe PD, Officer Ronald Kerzaya responded to Hawthorn Suites on 24th Street and Southern Avenue after the hotel manager reported a white man wearing a black shirt had pointed a gun at an employee.
Body camera video shows Kerzaya stopped Trevon Cumpian, a Black man wearing a white-gray shirt who said he was a hotel employee, holding him at gunpoint until he confirmed that Cumpian worked there.

Footage shows the man insisting that he was a worker, with Kerzaya cutting him off, saying, "I am responding to a man with a firearm who matches your description."

"Are you going to shoot me?" Cumpian can be seen asking. "Am I ... another person on the news?"

Kerzaya responds with, "Shut the f--- up with that s---, get on your knees."

The officer ultimately did not find any armed suspects.

Tempe officials say the officer has been placed in an "administrative role" while the investigation continues.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Cops are now trying to justify this by claiming they thought he had a weapon, despite the mother telling the dispatcher he was unarmed and just needed the crisis prevention team.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:43 pm

To be 'fair', the last person I would trust is a mother.

Shyster

Police earning the hate

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Perhaps. But I could also probably go back through this thread and find a dozen cases where a police report or police statements ended up not matching reality. Police lie so often they have a special name for it.

dodint

Police earning the hate

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:35 pm

Indeed.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:36 pm

To be 'fair', the last person I would trust is a mother.

There was also no weapon found at the scene (I probably should've mentioned that, my mistake).

PFiDC

Police earning the hate

Postby PFiDC » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:48 am

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh ... d=17960987

Overly aggressive officer for no reason, check
Violation of 4th amendment, check
Unconstitutional arrest, check
Officer already has a long list of misconduct on record, check

Jim

Police earning the hate

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh ... d=17960987

Overly aggressive officer for no reason, check
Violation of 4th amendment, check
Unconstitutional arrest, check
Officer already has a long list of misconduct on record, check

He is short and his inferiority complex cause him to need to project authority. "Do what I tell you! You will see me! Stop looking over my head, I am down here!!!"

If the guy getting "arrested" didn't keep turning around he wouldn't have been getting yanked back to facing away, and he could have just continued to verbally belittle the Hobbit.

However, if a cop tells you to disperse, don't stand there and argue with him. Move 20 feet away. If he comes at you again as how far you need to go, but move. The bullies with badges are looking for an excuse to get a chubby while pushing you around, don't give them the excuse.

And what was with he person off camera saying the he knows his sister? Bullies on one side, idiots on the other.

MR25

Police earning the hate

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:21 am

A dispersal order can only be used against a crowd of 3 or more:
§ 5502. Failure of disorderly persons to disperse upon official order.

Where three or more persons are participating in a course of disorderly conduct which causes or may reasonably be expected to cause substantial harm or serious inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, a peace officer or other public servant engaged in executing or enforcing the law may order the participants and others in the immediate vicinity to disperse. A person who refuses or knowingly fails to obey such an order commits a misdemeanor of the second degree.
Source: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/L ... 2.000..HTM

So what the cop did, with the dispersal request, is not legal.

PFiDC

Police earning the hate

Postby PFiDC » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:31 am

"If a cop tells you to do something YOU DO IT!!"

****. That. ****.

Give me a lawful order and I will follow it.