Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:48 pm

You couldn't pay me to read their stuff

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:00 am

Alan Saunders is such a dodint. That is all.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:37 am

The "I am going to show how much more concerned about human life than you" schtick from him and other PSM folks is tiring.

There are members of Pitt Twitter like this right now as well.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:26 am

You couldn't pay me to read their stuff
so Deadspin with more of a political agenda?

Nah, I'm good.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am

That's all Saunders does. Your typical twitter white knight. And it's never a surprise finding how how those types end up being behind the act.
Speaking of completely irrelevant media people, I saw Matt Geico or whatever his name is calling Madden out by name over the weekend and how the sports media community in Pittsburgh is at a detriment because of Madden. Yeah, okay hippie. That doesn't exactly speak well for you if Madden is considered bringing down the quality of sports talk, seeing as I'm not sure even 1% of the town has ever heard of you.
Madden then called him a self righteous prick. I assume this goes back to his breakup with DK as I saw something where he was going to quit, but then accepted a gig to go cover something in Florida, just for the free trip then quit when he got back. I didnt look into it any further than that.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:51 am

Didn't Saunders get caught with that DK insider twitter thing? How is that dude still around here trying to be credible?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:45 pm

These people are still hanging around because of the voracious, unquenchable appetite of Pittsburgh sports fans. :lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:46 pm

My least favorite sports "white knights" who I had to stop following:

Alan Saunders
Dan Wolken
Stewart Mandel

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm

I unfollowed Zeise last week because he went White Knight the other way and it was obnoxious.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:01 pm

Madden's doing his "I'm muting people" chest puffing again. Congrats. You're pressing a button. I can always brush off the shtick because I know what it is and what he's doing, but damn. That's just such a pathetic boomer thing its hard not to lose respect for him with these. You can't make fun of Pittsburgh Dad Jr. for saying he's undefeated in the streets then act like you're some hardass for using the mute feature.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:45 pm

I guess there's a story in the Athletic today saying the Penguins might not spend up to the salary cap next season due to the cap remaining flat. Madden predicted this is ammo for Pirate marks to deflect criticisms of the Pirates for not spending money to win. Yohe was his guest and agreed that no intelligent fan would think that.

An hour later I tuned to The Fan and Mullesy is spewing the "Mario and Burkle must not want to win. Burkle is worth a billion dollars, he can spend his own money yada yada". Intelligent indeed, right on cue. Click

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:59 pm

lol the fan

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:55 am

I guess there's a story in the Athletic today saying the Penguins might not spend up to the salary cap next season due to the cap remaining flat. Madden predicted this is ammo for Pirate marks to deflect criticisms of the Pirates for not spending money to win. Yohe was his guest and agreed that no intelligent fan would think that.

An hour later I tuned to The Fan and Mullesy is spewing the "Mario and Burkle must not want to win. Burkle is worth a billion dollars, he can spend his own money yada yada". Intelligent indeed, right on cue. Click
Mullesy is an idiot.

And the Athletic article said they may not spend to the cap at the beginning of the year and if they feel they are a contender and can make a run in the playoffs, they will make the investment up to the cap.

And they said even before that that the spend will be in the mid 70s. at the beginning of the year.

Final piece they mentioned in the athletic is that Lemieux and Burkle have always spent within what the team makes and do not dive into their own wallet to make ends meet. And that the early playoff exits hurt. But with the sell out streak and long playoff runs, etc, they have always been able to do what they needed to financially invest in the team, whether it's player contracts, coaching salaries, etc.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:02 am

“We plan on competing for the Cup next year, as always,” one very high-ranking team official told me Thursday night, adding that the commitment from owners Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux remains completely firm, financially and otherwise, toward that end. There’ve been no discussions about any reduction in payroll, the official added, nor anything else that could be construed as an altered approach on the business end toward competing toward a championship.
Very high ranking team official is probably Morehouse, right?

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020 ... wm-ajs-dk/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 am

Oddly enough in that athletic interview, it came across as Geno to me for the Penguins player interviewed, given his history with Rossi.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:29 am

Oddly enough in that athletic interview, it came across as Geno to me for the Penguins player interviewed, given his history with Rossi.
I thought the same.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 am

Rossi & Geno are not nearly the buddies that Rossi makes them out to be. Period.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:14 am

I don't doubt that, but Rossi worked with Malkin to write the book, there's already a trust there if he wanted to air something in the open.

I don't think they're buddy/buddy, but there's enough there to want to leak something if he needed to, imo.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am

Was reading thru replies on a tweet quoting Tukka Rask saying the atmosphere in Toronto feels more like an exhibition than the playoffs (duh), then right in the middle of it all over multiple back-and-forths Dejan is arguing with some rando about Winnipeg or PSU inventing the "white out."

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 am

All I'm telling you is I highly doubt Geno is telling Rossi anything "insider-y". I don't think there's the level of "trust" that you think there is.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 am

Was reading thru replies on a tweet quoting Tukka Rask saying the atmosphere in Toronto feels more like an exhibition than the playoffs (duh), then right in the middle of it all over multiple back-and-forths Dejan is arguing with some rando about Winnipeg or PSU inventing the "white out."
I saw that too.

But what drives me nuts is that DK is responding like this is something the NHL did and it's their fault. WTF do you want? He looks for anything to rail against the NHL.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:03 am

I saw that too.

But what drives me nuts is that DK is responding like this is something the NHL did and it's their fault. WTF do you want? He looks for anything to rail against the NHL.
His latest grudge is that they couldn't cover the playoffs in person. We'll see how long he holds that grudge. At least he isn't Pittsburgh Dad Jr. who "misses the smell of the ballpark"

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:35 am

His latest grudge is that they couldn't cover the playoffs in person. We'll see how long he holds that grudge. At least he isn't Pittsburgh Dad Jr. who "misses the smell of the ballpark"
A lot of that had to do with Canada not allowing anyone else in. He just cries about the NHL over everything. His whole "best sport, worst league" is retarded IMO. Bettman has prevented some franchises from moving and getting them back on solid footing, expanded the leagues reach, established a salary cap, etc, etc. Sure there are mistakes, and they are weeding out the dinasours over time that have the old school on ice mentality.

But he complained how slow Bettman came out to the media on how to handle the playoffs, even though there were well laid plans and it seems to be working right now. And now he is complaining about things like how it doesn't feel like the playoffs because there are no fans (it's going to be like that for all sports with no fans), and even the first day they returned to play he felt defeated that players weren't raising their hands when scoring goals.

He just finds the dumbest things to complain about when it comes to the NHL.

I'm interested to see what happens in the NFL. He praised them from day 1, but they had the least impact of the 4 major sports leagues so far because they haven't had to play actual games during this whole COVID thing.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am

His whole "best sport, worst league" is retarded IMO.

:scared:

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:05 pm

There was nothing.. and The Rock means nothing..even in the stratosphere of dumbness than that week he tried to get "Our team, not his." going as a protest to Bob Nutting.