Pro Wrasslin' Thread

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:36 pm

I'm in...

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Arquette gets a lot of unwarranted hate. He didn't book that ****. He seems like a dude who genuinely loves professional wrestling and got caught up in the terrible 2000 WCW booking.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:47 pm

I agree and this little documentary thing looks like lots of fun.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:50 pm

By the way, Ready to Rumble is a guilty pleasure. What a time capsule of late 90s early 2000s wrestling.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:16 pm

I think I read sometime ago that Arquette was totally against it

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 pm

By the way, Ready to Rumble is a guilty pleasure. What a time capsule of late 90s early 2000s wrestling.
Weirdest part of that movie is Oliver Platt playing a pro wrestler.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:43 pm

WWE introducing new state-of-the-art viewing experience with WWE ThunderDome
https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-virtual ... way-center
“As WWE takes residency at the world-class Amway Center, we have reimagined our live event experience for today’s environment,” said Brian Flinn, WWE Chief Marketing & Communications Officer. “In partnership with The Famous Group, we will virtually bring our fans back into the show and recreate the interactive in-arena atmosphere that has been a staple of WWE events for decades.”

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:50 pm

I think I read sometime ago that Arquette was totally against it
He was, but Dubya Cee Dubya insisted that it would be good pub for his movie.
Arquette was totally against becoming the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, believing that fans like himself would detest a non-wrestler winning the title. Vince Russo, who was the head booker for WCW at the time, insisted that Arquette becoming the champion would be good for the company and for publicity, and Arquette reluctantly agreed to the angle. All the money he made during his WCW tenure was donated to the families of Owen Hart (who died in a freak accident), Brian Pillman (who died from an undiagnosed heart condition), and Darren Drozdov (who became a quadriplegic after an in-ring accident).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Arq ... he%20title.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Was procrastinating earlier and wanted to look up the card from a few Superstars shows I attended in Wheeling back in 95. They would record 4 weeks of shows at a time so it ended up being a 4 hour live show. Which I loved and I'm sure my folks hated.

Card(s) in spoiler
WWF @ Wheeling, WV - Civic Center - June 6, 1995 (3,800)
WWF Superstars taping:
The Smoking Gunns defeated Men on a Mission
Waylon Mercy defeated Bob Holly at 7:00
Adam Bomb pinned Chris Benoit (w/ Ted Dibiase) at 3:00
Bret Hart, Razor Ramon, & Savio Vega defeated Hakushi (w/ Shinja), WWF Tag Team Champions Owen Hart & Yokozuna (w/ Jim Cornette) when Savio pinned Hakushi with a clothesline at 11:35 (Confirmed Hits, WrestleFest 95, Terminators 96)
The Undertaker (w/ Paul Bearer) pinned Kama (w/ Ted Dibiase) at 4:00
Shawn Michaels pinned Jerry Lawler (sub. for Psycho Sid) at 3:00; prior to the bout, Lawler had come out and asked Dibiase if he could take Sid's place and make it a perfect night for himself which Dibiase agreed
6/10/95:
Psycho Sid & Tatanka (w/ Ted Dibiase) defeated John Chrystal & Cory
Hakushi (w/ Shinja) defeated David Haskins via count-out
Razor Ramon pinned Bill Payne with the Razor's Edge
Kama (w/ Ted Dibiase) defeated Buck Quartermaine
The Smoking Gunns defeated Iron Mike Sharpe & Duane Gill
Jerry Lawler pinned Aldo Montoya with the piledriver; after the match, Lawler stuffed his foot into the unconcious Montoya's mouth
6/17/95:
Henry Godwinn defeated Bret Hart via count-out after Jerry Lawler came ringside
Jacob & Eli Blu defeated John Smith & Gus Kantarakis
Man Mountain Rock defeated Kenny Kendall via submission with the arm bar
WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett defeated John Syznowski via submission with the figure-4
Jean Pierre Lafitte pinned Reginald Walker with the Cannonball
Savio Vega pinned Bob Cook with a crucifix
6/24/95:
Shawn Michaels defeated the Brooklyn Brawler via count-out
Men on a Mission defeated Jerry Flynn & Mike McReynold
The Undertaker pinned Barry Horowitz with the tombstone
Skip (w/ Sunny) pinned John Chrystal with a superplex
Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Mantaur
Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Mike Khoury with the Pedigree
This stood out to me:
Adam Bomb pinned Chris Benoit (w/ Ted Dibiase) at 3:00. Apparently Benoit had three tryout matches with WWF in 95 and I just happened to be at one of them. I have zero memory of it and he obviously didn't stand out to me. I was a young mark and knew nothing about ECW at the time. I was probably too upset that I didn't catch one of those little Adam Bomb footballs to pay attention to the match.

blackjack68

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Did they make the crowd change seats so it didn’t appear to be the same crowd four “weeks” in a row? 😆
Last edited by blackjack68 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:27 pm

That's a great find @nocera

This came up in my YT suggestions today.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:40 am

Did they make the crowd change seats so it didn’t appear to be the same crowd four “weeks” in a row? 😆
Nope! I think they only mentioned the location on week one and just assumed no viewers would notice.

Here are some of my photos from that show

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 pm

WWE broadcast personality Renee Young is leaving World Wrestling Entertainment, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. We are told Young gave the company notice a week ago that she intends to exit. There is no word when her final date with the company is yet.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:57 pm

:lol:

blackjack68

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:25 pm

Gotta get that undercarriage

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:55 am

ThunderDome pics. The hard camera looks weird as hell, but the wides are awesome.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:16 am

Apparently SummerSlam was last night.

blackjack68

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am

The legend Roman Reigns is back...again.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 am

THA BIG DAAAAWWWG!!

from what people said last night, it kinda looked like he came back as a heel. Didn't watch it, so I couldn't tell you what it looked like or what gesture he gave to make him look like a heel.

Re: the Thunderdome pics, am I allowed to be a little underwhelmed on this? Yeah, I guess it's better than corralling the NXT wrestlers behind glass and telling them to cheer/boo as needed and the wide visual is cool, but... I don't know? I'm not sure what I was expecting.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:07 am

THA BIG DAAAAWWWG!!

from what people said last night, it kinda looked like he came back as a heel. Didn't watch it, so I couldn't tell you what it looked like or what gesture he gave to make him look like a heel.

Re: the Thunderdome pics, am I allowed to be a little underwhelmed on this? Yeah, I guess it's better than corralling the NXT wrestlers behind glass and telling them to cheer/boo as needed and the wide visual is cool, but... I don't know? I'm not sure what I was expecting.
He was a bit heelish since he attacked both Wyatt and Strowman, but there's no way they bring him back as a heel.

As for Thunderdome, I like the idea but the execution isn't quite there. The hard cam is pretty distracting and awkward. I would maybe turn down the brightness of the LEDs. It feels a bit overwhelming at the moment. The other issue is that it turns out watching people watching a wrestling show on their computers is pretty boring. For the most part, they aren't nearly as engaged as a live crowd. It's a lot of blank stares.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:10 am

He was a bit heelish since he attacked both Wyatt and Strowman, but there's no way they bring him back as a heel.

As for Thunderdome, I like the idea but the execution isn't quite there. The hard cam is pretty distracting and awkward. I would maybe turn down the brightness of the LEDs. It feels a bit overwhelming at the moment. The other issue is that it turns out watching people watching a wrestling show on their computers is pretty boring. For the most part, they aren't nearly as engaged as a live crowd. It's a lot of blank stares.
so if he attacked him both, maybe a tweener that has no loyalty to anybody? Not that I was his biggest fan to begin with, but they need to do something different. Not just with Reigns, but probably most of their roster. The only real recent heel/face turns are people who have turned a dozen or so times already. Storylines and characters are stale at this point. Do something different.

I think you nailed the downside of the Thunderdome. You're right, it's a lot of blank stares. Basically imagine that you're 3-4 hours deep into a Teams meeting with no end in sight. That is the audience. That's also their product right now, so maybe the blank stares are par for the course.

And yes, that brightness is set way too high. I know they're trying to capture the screens better, but based on the pics it looks like it's overpowering to the point that it takes way from the match or at least it does it to the point of distraction. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news to them, but I don't think you can have both. Turn down the brightness and the audience washes out. Keep it bright and it's distracting.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 pm

currently on WWE Network is the AUG. 19, 1996 RAW from the Wheeling Civic Center

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Au ... AW_results

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 am

The ThunderDome experiment won't last much longer. Between Summerslam & Raw, there was a sign reading "Asuka will rape Sasha, an image of Chris Jericho in a Klan robe (from J&SB Reboot), an image of Chris Benoit, and a video of a real execution. Wrestling fans are gross.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:27 pm

The ThunderDome experiment won't last much longer. Between Summerslam & Raw, there was a sign reading "Asuka will rape Sasha, an image of Chris Jericho in a Klan robe (from J&SB Reboot), an image of Chris Benoit, and a video of a real execution. Wrestling fans are gross.
They should just use this for the crowd shot:

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 pm

currently on WWE Network is the AUG. 19, 1996 RAW from the Wheeling Civic Center

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Au ... AW_results

I dont remember a damn thing from that show (obviously cuz it was 24 years ago) except for some reason I can vividly picture things from Shawn Michaels/Yokozuna. I even remember the seat angle and the view of the ring I had that night.