GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Lemon Berry Lobster

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Poulin didn't get a ticket to Toronto though

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 pm

I'd rather win the next two games than have even a 50% chance at the first overall pick...
:thumb:

Sign me up.

Lelldorin

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:49 pm

I'd rather win the next two games than have even a 50% chance at the first overall pick...

Sign me up.
Call me crazy but I would take the 50% chance. I don't think that the current play is enough to win the cup :(

That said I want more McCann with Sid and definitely start a game with Jarry.

I would also like to bench JJ or put our smartest defenseman with him.

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Sign me up.
Call me crazy but I would take the 50% chance. I don't think that the current play is enough to win the cup :(

That said I want more McCann with Sid and definitely start a game with Jarry.

I would also like to bench JJ or put our smartest defenseman with him.
Isn't the chance 12.5%, just as it stands were we to lose?

mikey

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Yes. But **** the draft...I want a ticket to the dance...

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Yes. But **** the draft...I want a ticket to the dance...
mikey, I asked this question earlier:

Were we to lose this series, does this snap the playoffs streak? I thought yes, since the "real" playoffs were after the play-in/round robin. But I also heard no. Sorry if I missed the answer elsewhere.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Hmm good question. Let me ask around, I don't know off hand actually...

It seems like for players its the playoffs, for teams, it is not...

mikey

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Well, that was fast. I already got my answer: Yes, this counts as keeping our playoff streak alive as a team. And any playoff streak continued from prior years for an individual or team (i.e. if Crosby scored in all four games against the Isles last year) that streak would be considered to be continued for all qualifier games and into the traditional Stanley Cup Playoffs...

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Blue Canary » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:32 pm

Well, that was fast. I already got my answer: Yes, this counts as keeping our playoff streak alive as a team. And any playoff streak continued from prior years for an individual or team (i.e. if Crosby scored in all four games against the Isles last year) that streak would be considered to be continued for all qualifier games and into the traditional Stanley Cup Playoffs...
I see. So, win or lose this weekend, it's still 16 years. Thanks so much.

Just trying to avoid an additional item of embarrassment for our guys, I suppose.

Trip McNeely

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:41 pm

In regards to the defense, to me at least, I think it’s underreported on how poor our defense outside of Letang and the rookie are at scoring. There is little to no threat for the Canadians when our D-men have the puck at the point. And I think that’s been an issue for awhile.

I know it’s hard to score from the outside in the NHL but it’s almost at the point where I see us having no chance of even getting a decent shot off let alone scoring from the point.

And that’s where I think Schultz is even playing worse in respect to JJ. At least Johnson is a decent PKer and a little bit physical. Schultz needs to do something in the offensive zone and is a black hole offensively now. The guy scored 1 goal since November. That’s just not acceptable.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Our defensemen just keep plays alive for our forwards...they do no actual work themselves...

Look at Montreal, they stink, they had their first five shots come from d-men last night and Weber had the opener. Petry has two game winners in the series...their forwards aren't good enough to be left alone to their own devices...they know it, I know it. We think we have a good enough group to do just let the forwards do a lot of the work...

Look at the long pass game that is back...think about how many diagonal long passes are sent into an area for Rust or Zucker to track down, right? That creates a no-carry situation for our d-men (only one has the talent to do it, and even that is only a line and a half probably at this point) and the spacing creates a scenario where they can't effectively follow-up the rush...

I hate isolation stuff done in this way, it's partly how we lost to Boston in the 2013 ECF...I get we want to use our forward talent and our speed, but neither of them are good enough right now to attack 3 on 5. The d-men keep it alive eventually, but there isn't a lot of creativity with how the d-men jump in...part of my call for Riikola to play as a swingman earlier...

Watch how a defensive Jackets team uses Werenski and Jones right now...

Trip McNeely

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Our defensemen just keep plays alive for our forwards...they do no actual work themselves...

Look at Montreal, they stink, they had their first five shots come from d-men last night and Weber had the opener. Petry has two game winners in the series...their forwards aren't good enough to be left alone to their own devices...they know it, I know it. We think we have a good enough group to do just let the forwards do a lot of the work...

Look at the long pass game that is back...think about how many diagonal long passes are sent into an area for Rust or Zucker to track down, right? That creates a no-carry situation for our d-men (only one has the talent to do it, and even that is only a line and a half probably at this point) and the spacing creates a scenario where they can't effectively follow-up the rush...

I hate isolation stuff done in this way, it's partly how we lost to Boston in the 2013 ECF...I get we want to use our forward talent and our speed, but neither of them are good enough right now to attack 3 on 5. The d-men keep it alive eventually, but there isn't a lot of creativity with how the d-men jump in...part of my call for Riikola to play as a swingman earlier...

Watch how a defensive Jackets team uses Werenski and Jones right now...
Yea I see it for sure. We need to change that in the off-season. But I’m not sure how because that personnel is really not available in free agency and definitely not easy to do in a trade. Like Torrey Krug will get mega bucks doing what he does and it’s just decent.

I don’t see a lot of the finer points of hockey. But to me, the past two playoff series have been all about the opposing team focusing on our forwards and saying the hell with the D, they ain’t gonna do **** anyways

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby Gaucho » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:38 am

Actually this series seems to be all about hell with the forwards, focus on their clownish 3rd pairing and their maddeningly inconsistent goaltender, and we have a good chance of outscoring them.

slappybrown

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 3

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:26 pm

pens are good imo