GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:05 am

it boggles my mind still that Murray started. Nothing about this indicates that he should be playing in the playoffs

He’s pretty clearly a head case. If you shoot it high glove side you’re guaranteed a goal if you hit the net

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby meow » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 am

Jarry probably gets next game because they should be splitting, but Murray was not bad yesterday.

I guess he’s an easy target because reasons.

Trip McNeely

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:27 am

Yea I like Jarrys game more than Murray and believe he should start, but Murray wasn’t bad yesterday. He made a big save which we then scored seconds later. But to me he looks like he’s still fighting pucks like he doesn’t track well.

But the bottom line is they lost because the PP sucks, they got minimal traffic in front of Price as the game went on, and the third line was absolutely nonexistent

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Gaucho » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:24 am

Pens in 4.

Lemon Berry Lobster

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:42 am

it boggles my mind still that Murray started. Nothing about this indicates that he should be playing in the playoffs

He’s pretty clearly a head case. If you shoot it high glove side you’re guaranteed a goal if you hit the net
Maybe blame the power play that went 1/7 and squandered a 5 on 3 for roughly 90 seconds instead...

King Colby

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby King Colby » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:42 am

Murray played well but looked shaky and that makes me nervous that his luck may run out in game 2. He couldn't catch puvks and was really bad with rebound control. Fortunately they played very well in front of him clearing out 2nd chance opportunities

Trip McNeely

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:34 am

Murray played well but looked shaky and that makes me nervous that his luck may run out in game 2. He couldn't catch puvks and was really bad with rebound control. Fortunately they played very well in front of him clearing out 2nd chance opportunities
Maybe I didn’t notice is during the runs...or maybe it’s much more pronounced now. But Murray is definitely a “let the puck hit me” kind of guy.

MR25

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby MR25 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:45 am

I don't think he absorbed a shot all night last night. Everything was a rebound.

Blue Canary

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Blue Canary » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:49 am

What the first question when Sullivan get up to the 'podium' ... "Hey Mike, are you going to continue to make bad coaching decisions, or are you going to actually try to win game 2?"
What the **** are you even talking about?
Post game interview... Sullivan, "...the power play was not the difference..." 1 for 7. The word clueless comes to mind.

Sullivan couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bad with two hands, a flashlight, and a kinfe.
Jim, c'mon, man. He can, and he has.

The PP not being the difference was a really bizarre thing to say though. Yeah, that's just nuts.
I saw the quote in Haase’s and Molinari’s postgame reports, and now it makes more sense:

“We understand that the power play has to be better,” Sullivan said. “We’re working through this process here, but obviously, it had a chance to be the difference tonight, and it wasn’t.”

mac5155

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby mac5155 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:53 am

Jarry probably gets next game because they should be splitting, but Murray was not bad yesterday.

I felt like he made maybe 1 or 2 quality saves. He let in a questionable goal and otherwise played decent, but it wouldnt kill him to make a big or timely save.

skullman80

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby skullman80 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:19 pm

That 5 on 3 pp that they didn't score on was the big turning point IMO. Then sheary not scoring on the PS.

I still have no confidence in Murray though. As others said he didn't absorb anything last night. Every shot was an adventure.

shafnutz05

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:25 pm

OP hit the nail on the head. This team needs to stop thinking they can win on just finesse and pretty plays and get dirty.

Trip McNeely

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 pm

In regards to the third line's poor play, in particular Jared McCann

Does anyone here, during his time in Pittsburgh at least, believe he's a better center than a winger? Because I do not see it at all. I think it has been reported that Sullivan and GMJR feel long term that he's a center. But to me at least, he is invisible often when he plays center. And at wing, he seems to be much more of a difference maker.

We are stuck in a way because we really don't have a third line center if McCann can't do it, unless you think Rodrigues or Bluegar could do it, which I don't. Its too bad that Bjustad was injured because he could have filled that role. And a top line of Crosby Guentzal and McCann could be pretty dangerous. But thats moot now.

dodint

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby dodint » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 pm

He's really good for a one armed goalie. The Jim Abbott of hockey; inspiring.

Lemon Berry Lobster

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Murray wasn't great but gave them a chance to win. The team blew their load in the first 10 minutes

Dickie Dunn

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:11 pm

Show offs.

mac5155

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby mac5155 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:30 pm

Does anyone here, during his time in Pittsburgh at least, believe he's a better center than a winger? Because I do not see it at all. I think it has been reported that Sullivan and GMJR feel long term that he's a center. But to me at least, he is invisible often when he plays center. And at wing, he seems to be much more of a difference maker.

We are stuck in a way because we really don't have a third line center if McCann can't do it, unless you think Rodrigues or Bluegar could do it, which I don't. Its too bad that Bjustad was injured because he could have filled that role. And a top line of Crosby Guentzal and McCann could be pretty dangerous. But thats moot now.
I also think he can't handle the pressure. I know the playoffs have been a sh*t sandwich for the entire team the past 2 years but he can't elevate his game. He regressed come playoff time last year.

Rx6687

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Rx6687 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:21 pm

OP hit the nail on the head. This team needs to stop thinking they can win on just finesse and pretty plays and get dirty.
Someone other than Hornqvist needs to get in Price's kitchen. They also failed to get the puck in deep on several occasions that led to chances against (including Malkin sending the Habs the other way just prior to the OT goal being scored).

The Habs' defense isn't very good, and they were coughing up pucks last night. That will continue to happen. They need to be more opportunistic. And for the love of God, score on 5-on-3's.

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:05 am

meow

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby meow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:13 am

Oof. Two guys below the goal line. Two guys posted up to block it.

Gaucho

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Gaucho » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 am

hm, wonder who the two guys below the goal line might be... oh

Rx6687

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Rx6687 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:18 am

Yes, because of course. At least they had that referee double covered.

meow

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby meow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:03 am

Yes, because of course. At least they had that referee double covered.
threw a blanket over the stripes

Pavel Bure

GDT Pens vs Habs Game 1

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:33 pm

I also think he can't handle the pressure. I know the playoffs have been a sh*t sandwich for the entire team the past 2 years but he can't elevate his game. He regressed come playoff time last year.
Really they could put him back with Sid and Guentzel. That way he’s not “the guy” on a line and can play to his strengths without having to feel that immense pressure.