Caffē Thread (Pinkies Up)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 pm

I would like to get a Nesrpesso at some point.
We have Original and Vertuo machines. Love them both. Reinforces that K-Cups are absolute swill. Their Black Friday sales the past two years have been better than their internal employee discount, so I would take a look at them then.
I just got a Veruto. Cashed in some PNC points for a Bed Bath and Beyond gift card, cheaper than an amazon card, then set up a new email for the 20% off. only out 60.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm

I got a French press in March, because what else was I gonna do with my extra morning time. I tend to get a bag of whole bean (usually what’s on sale between Pete’s, Starbucks, or something else) and grind it in store to use it home. I know I should get a grinder. What else am I doing wrong?
Buy whole bean and grind what you need when you brew. I have this burr grinder, and would recommend it to anyone:

And if you're going to be lazy like I have been, at least use screen filter cup for your drip machine:

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:19 pm

My partner and I received the Gaggia Anima from staff last year. Great machine.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:19 pm

That price seems.... excessive, compared to others on amazon. What’s it give me that cheaper ones don’t?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 pm

We have Original and Vertuo machines. Love them both. Reinforces that K-Cups are absolute swill. Their Black Friday sales the past two years have been better than their internal employee discount, so I would take a look at them then.
how do the veruto pod prices compare to k cups?
Depends on the variety, but the Vertuo pods run anywhere from $0.85 to $2 per pod with most around $1.10.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm

That price seems.... excessive, compared to others on amazon. What’s it give me that cheaper ones don’t?
Are you referring to the burr grinder? I just noticed the price - definitely cheaper at Target: https://www.target.com/p/capresso-infin ... A-79835163

Burr grinders are superior to traditional grinders, as the grinds will all be evenly sized. They're not as noisy IME, either.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm

Nespresso, K cups, pods...

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Oprah is a good comparison for my coffee. Black, rich, hot, and never had milk in it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:15 pm

Lol

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:20 am

I’ve been using some of Trader Joe’s coffees - Dark Roast and French Roast. Cheaper (much cheaper) than their premium 12 oz coffees and most cans are 14oz.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:21 am

So, have had the vertuo machine for about a month. After a brief hiccup where I was under the impression that I could use regular nespresso pods, I have been extremely happy with this thing. I got the $25 amazon variety pack, usually have a coffee in the morning, then make an early afternoon iced latte. I do two shots from an epsresso pod, then a bit of maple syrup in some ice, stir that up, then pour some milk over top, then stir it again. So easy, and easily comparable to any iced latte you are going to get at a coffee shop.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:44 am

I got a French press in March, because what else was I gonna do with my extra morning time. I tend to get a bag of whole bean (usually what’s on sale between Pete’s, Starbucks, or something else) and grind it in store to use it home. I know I should get a grinder. What else am I doing wrong?
Buy whole bean and grind what you need when you brew. I have this burr grinder, and would recommend it to anyone:

And if you're going to be lazy like I have been, at least use screen filter cup for your drip machine:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:46 am

What browser are you using NTP?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

So, have had the vertuo machine for about a month. After a brief hiccup where I was under the impression that I could use regular nespresso pods, I have been extremely happy with this thing. I got the $25 amazon variety pack, usually have a coffee in the morning, then make an early afternoon iced latte. I do two shots from an epsresso pod, then a bit of maple syrup in some ice, stir that up, then pour some milk over top, then stir it again. So easy, and easily comparable to any iced latte you are going to get at a coffee shop.
Glad your enjoying. The Reviving Origins pod collection they’ve been releasing is fantastic. The coffee quality from Nespresso is so much better than Keurig ****.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:48 am

Keurig coffee does indeed suck.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:50 am

What browser are you using NTP?
Firefox 80.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:58 am

Glad your enjoying. The Reviving Origins pod collection they’ve been releasing is fantastic. The coffee quality from Nespresso is so much better than Keurig ****.
I have never owned a Keurig, but we have them in the office break room (RIP), and they have bulk coffee always available. There are three or four different blends, and only one actually has a coffee taste/smell (french roast), so basically my co-workers that have any semblance of coffee preferences, only drink the french roast, the folks with kindergarten palates just grab whatever, so the French roast is the only flavor that ever runs out. Trying to explain this actuality, without severe condescension, to the admins who make the coffee orders, never accomplished the stated goal of stocking more of the tolerable coffee blend.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:58 am

uBlock Origin is blocking them.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:12 am

[/quote]

we bought the Vertuo in late March, when it was clear we'd be WFH. are you using the frother for your iced latte or just straight milk out of the fridge?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:15 am

we bought the Vertuo in late March, when it was clear we'd be WFH. are you using the frother for your iced latte or just straight milk out of the fridge?
Straight milk from the fridge.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:40 am

I have never owned a Keurig, but we have them in the office break room (RIP), and they have bulk coffee always available. There are three or four different blends, and only one actually has a coffee taste/smell (french roast), so basically my co-workers that have any semblance of coffee preferences, only drink the french roast, the folks with kindergarten palates just grab whatever, so the French roast is the only flavor that ever runs out. Trying to explain this actuality, without severe condescension, to the admins who make the coffee orders, never accomplished the stated goal of stocking more of the tolerable coffee blend.
We have a Keurig in our office as well. It gets drowned down with so much vanilla creamer that no one gives a **** what they’re actually making.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:16 pm

I noticed that Firefox has a plugin/extension that limits Facebook tracking data across other websites you visit (obviously this would include Instagram), so that might be what's going on.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:16 pm

I noticed that Firefox has a plugin/extension that limits Facebook tracking data across other websites you visit (obviously this would include Instagram), so that might be what's going on.
They do, though I'm not sure it's enabled by default.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Working in the Strip is nice that i can walk to a different coffee place each day, more or less. I don't. But I could.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:47 pm

I really wish we had drone coffee delivery. I really want an iced coffee, but can't be arsed to go out and walk to one of the coffee shops in 97F heat.