Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 am

The hypocrisy isn't really surprising, isn't it? She's just like the rest of them.

Also telling in that she is facing a primary challenge who is definitely being funded by sordid entities, and she is basically bashing him for that.

Honestly, i root for stuff like this amidst politicians I’d like to lose. I obviously don’t have the same opinion of her as you do, but a self serving campaign is not as good as a well run campaign.

That said, her and tlaib are just activists serving as back bench house members. AOC definitely has higher ambitions and you will see her trend to the middle in a Biden presidency as she tries to boost her national appeal. She is an elder statesman compared to the former two, in their inability to not routinely do stupid ****.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:59 am

100% chance AOC is gunning for Gillibrand's seat.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:01 am

Everything isn't tied into Russia. What a lazy take.

Dozens of countries have banned Tik-Tok already because it is a Chinese spy app. I guess they are all Russian-bought.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:17 am

No idea what her Russia angle is here, but this is a gift to facebook

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:05 am

I would prefer strict privacy laws and protections rather than just banning one app.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 am

I’m ok with “giving a gift” to Facebook if it means banning spyware. The DNC and Biden campaign have outlawed it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 am

I’m ok with “giving a gift” to Facebook if it means banning spyware. The DNC and Biden campaign have outlawed it.
I would prefer general data privacy laws. Because under this consideration, shouldn’t we ban Facebook for selling data to malign actors? (The whole Cambridge analytics thing)

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:33 am

I would prefer general data privacy laws. Because under this consideration, shouldn’t we ban Facebook for selling data to malign actors? (The whole Cambridge analytics thing)
I am good with more strict privacy laws, but you understand the difference between what Facebook is doing with your data when it sells it and what tiktok does when it hands everything over to the Chinese government, right?

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 am

Any of my data that is taken and sold without my consent is a problem. GDPR isn’t perfect but it forced a **** ton of companies to rethink how they market and how they manage data.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 am

The hypocrisy isn't really surprising, isn't it? She's just like the rest of them.

Is that the husband she was cheating on?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 am

Tik-Tok isn't just selling data, etc...
TikTok is under scrutiny in Australia for its ties to China, with some of the country's top cyber and national security minds warning the app could potentially be used by Beijing authorities to influence and monitor millions of Australian users.

The wildly popular app, which boasts half a billion users, is the first Chinese-owned social media platform to seriously crack the western world.

Fergus Ryan, an analyst at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), warned parents of young users not to be fooled by TikTok's similarities to US-owned platforms like Facebook and Instagram.

"The amount of data that all these apps collect on their users is very concerning," he told 7.30.

"But the key difference between Facebook and Instagram and TikTok is that there really isn't much of a firewall between Chinese tech companies and the Chinese state."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-19/ ... a/11962086

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:08 am

Any of my data that is taken and sold without my consent is a problem. GDPR isn’t perfect but it forced a **** ton of companies to rethink how they market and how they manage data.
You give them consent when you download the app.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:23 am

Also telling in that she is facing a primary challenge who is definitely being funded by sordid entities, and she is basically bashing him for that.

Honestly, i root for stuff like this amidst politicians I’d like to lose. I obviously don’t have the same opinion of her as you do, but a self serving campaign is not as good as a well run campaign.

That said, her and tlaib are just activists serving as back bench house members. AOC definitely has higher ambitions and you will see her trend to the middle in a Biden presidency as she tries to boost her national appeal. She is an elder statesman compared to the former two, in their inability to not routinely do stupid ****.
Agreed 100% on the contrast between AOC and the rest of the Squad. She will be a force to be reckoned with.

offsides

Postby offsides » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:26 am

Guess I am just an old dadhole, but happily I have no idea what the heck Tik Tok even is.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:43 am

I am good with more strict privacy laws, but you understand the difference between what Facebook is doing with your data when it sells it and what tiktok does when it hands everything over to the Chinese government, right?
I understand that the direct versus indirect. But in the same sense, what is the difference, what data is tik tok collecting that they couldn’t just purchase from Facebook if they set up some sort of advertising front?

I don’t really know the answer, I guess Its the same thing about people all of sudden caring about human rights abuse when China is the culprit. The Wild West of personal data is being engineered by Facebook and amazon and Google. Banning tik tok doesn’t solve that problem, the strict data privacy laws that those companies are fighting against would eliminate the threat from things like tik tok

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:54 am

It's a F*** you to the chinese government, and from non-orange people who'd like to see their meddling fail, I'll take it.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 pm

I understand that the direct versus indirect. But in the same sense, what is the difference, what data is tik tok collecting that they couldn’t just purchase from Facebook if they set up some sort of advertising front?

I don’t really know the answer, I guess Its the same thing about people all of sudden caring about human rights abuse when China is the culprit. The Wild West of personal data is being engineered by Facebook and amazon and Google. Banning tik tok doesn’t solve that problem, the strict data privacy laws that those companies are fighting against would eliminate the threat from things like tik tok
As far as I know, Facebook doesn’t sell access to your phone.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Everything isn't tied into Russia. What a lazy take.

Dozens of countries have banned Tik-Tok already because it is a Chinese spy app. I guess they are all Russian-bought.
Great, now I have to get on a plane with Bill Clinton to watch 16 year olds dance

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:32 pm

I think we can all agree: **** tik tok. I would just rather legislation on privacy and data protection than an executive order to ban an app. If that’s allowed, you’ve just opened the door to a slippery slope. Write the law, protect our privacy and data, and THEN punish or ban the apps that break that law.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Guess I am just an old dadhole, but happily I have no idea what the heck Tik Tok even is.
You’re a lucky man.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm

@m0rkle has gotten extremely skilled at finding the absolute dregs and undesirables of society on there and sharing their content in our group text. It is a slice of America that I would have been happy never seeing :lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Trouble in the holy land of Maryland.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:57 pm

It's a F*** you to the chinese government, and from non-orange people who'd like to see their meddling fail, I'll take it.
It’s also an ego hit to Trump, as that’s where the Tulsa mobilization happened to inflate the number for the rally that was dramatically lower.

Trump has been back and forth with China for years, he didn’t care about Tik Tok until Tulsa embarrassed him.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Rep. Raul Grijalva tests positive for Covid-19: The Arizona Democrat's positive test comes after a hearing where he had contact with Rep. Louie Gohmert.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 pm

He probably wore the same mask.