Job and General Employment Thread

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Nice

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:01 pm

I was pinged on Monday to submit availability for a phone screen for a position at [X]. I replied to that note same day, stating that beginning on Wednesday I'd make myself available at the convenience of the screener(s). I haven't heard anything since then. How long is an appropriate period to wait to follow up, or is it even advisable to do so in this situation?

Context: I know that [X] is in a period of increased activity in their space, so I would not be at all surprised if aligning schedules were more of a cat herding exercise than usual. And also, it was 16 days between the date I sent my resume in and the date of the email from the HR recruiter. I'm not particularly snarked by the radio silence or anything, just looking for some guidance.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Also, the position Mrs Tif took that got us back to LA ended up being a bit of a s**tshow. Basically, we took my workplace misery from SF and transferred it to her; she's finished days in tears for months, and I've felt nothing but guilt about it, because it was my inability to come to grips with my last job that really drove a lot of what made living in SF such a bag of crap; it has been hard seeing Mrs Tif going through that same trudge.

But she just transferred to another role within the company, which she starts in two weeks. Global Training Manager. Her company has offices in 100 countries all around the world, and she'll likely get to visit most of them over the coming years. She was in training about 8-10 years ago, and she really blossomed, so I'm super excited for her to get back into the field and enjoy her job again.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Congrats OP.

Congrats Ms. Tif; get that COVID vaccine.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 pm

But she just transferred to another role within the company, which she starts in two weeks. Global Training Manager. Her company has offices in 100 countries all around the world, and she'll likely get to visit most of them over the coming years. She was in training about 8-10 years ago, and she really blossomed, so I'm super excited for her to get back into the field and enjoy her job again.
Emphasis on "coming years."

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm

The girl whose office is next to mine just got back from Myrtle Beach and doesn't feel the need to do the 14 day quarantine. Cool
Follow up. Last week another co-worker came back from Florida. She went home sick since Friday and hasn't been back yet. Great!
Her test from last week came back positive today. I coach with her son who lives with her. This is fine

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm

Congrats to OP and Mrs Tif. Good stuff

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:49 am

Relieved to report that I'm keeping my job and won't have to move so I got my perfect-world scenario.
Dude! This is phenomenal news. Congratulations.

On a selfish note, I'm looking forward to more stories from the tournament.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:01 am

Congrats OP.

Congrats Ms. Tif; get that COVID vaccine.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 pm

Just finished work on a major grant that is due on Monday by midnight.

Much easier to spend a couple quiet weekend hours on something that would take a lot longer on Monday due to calls, meetings and emails.

Now I can take Monday easy.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm

What is the longest interview process any of you have been a part of?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:38 pm

I've had a couple full day interviews. Started around 8:30, ended around 5. Lots of meetings and meals. Typical higher education interview day.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Same with DG. I had an Interview Day that started at 8:30, had meetings with new people every 30 minutes until 12:30, 1-hr break for lunch, then resumed the 30-minute schedule until 3, had a 30-minute break, then finished off with a 1-hr interview with the actual hiring manager, and a wrap-up half hour with the recruiter. It was miserable and, if I'm honest, a bit unfair to me as the candidate.

I also once had a 4-hr interview panel that started at 1 pm on a Friday; I can tell you, one did not need to be an expert at reading body language to know that the 4:30 interviewer was...... not committed to the bit. lol

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 pm

I had a day and a half of interviews at Sony in 1999 at their plant over in New Stanton (former VW plant, now RIDC Westmoreland) . They flew me down from Boston, took me in a limo from PIT to a hotel in Greensburg, then sent a car for me over to the plant. A full day of interviews followed by a half day of what was like testing to see how you reacted to certain situations. Then took me back in a limo that afternoon.

I didn't get the job. The limo rides were pretty cool I guess. Seemed like a lot of effort and expense for a Production Planning candidate.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am

The 4 hour interview panel was my longest for my current role. It was a couple of pre-screening phone interviews to get to that point.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 am

Same with DG. I had an Interview Day that started at 8:30, had meetings with new people every 30 minutes until 12:30, 1-hr break for lunch, then resumed the 30-minute schedule until 3, had a 30-minute break, then finished off with a 1-hr interview with the actual hiring manager, and a wrap-up half hour with the recruiter. It was miserable and, if I'm honest, a bit unfair to me as the candidate.

I also once had a 4-hr interview panel that started at 1 pm on a Friday; I can tell you, one did not need to be an expert at reading body language to know that the 4:30 interviewer was...... not committed to the bit. lol
I've had two engineering manager positions that were like that. The first felt awkward and a bit forced. The second I still kick myself for flying out of there without making it clear I wanted the job. Very comfortable, went back out to dinner with the owner's family afterward, a really great organization. I wasn't sure I was ready to make the move away from our support systems (which have been a blessing since COVID so maybe its been for the best) but that's it.

Also, the first one I flew to Alabama for that full day, but only after two one hour phone calls, and then afterwards I had to fly to Chicago to see their preferred shrink for a Wonderlic and other personality testing. So that'd probably be the most involved.

obhave

Postby obhave » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:25 am

"what got me over the hump of even considering you" - not the best thing I wanted to hear in an interview today. Ugh.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

lol wut?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

Oh my. HR needs to talk with this person. One thing my school does well is train us on how to properly manage an interview.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:34 am

"what got me over the hump of even considering you" - not the best thing I wanted to hear in an interview today. Ugh.
not sure how badly you want/need this position, but if you have the means to continue your search, I would have stopped the interview right there and told them it was not for you and walked out

obhave

Postby obhave » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:38 am

I've liked everyone else I've talked to and had some really good conversations. But that was a downer.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:47 am

So what got that person over the hump?

obhave

Postby obhave » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:01 pm

So what got that person over the hump?
The interviewer didn't want to consider anyone straight out of a PhD (the position requires that level of education), but because I have other experience that got past that issue

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Yeah... I ran into that a few times too. "We want someone with industrial experience". Uhhh...k. Then why you interviewing me? I know you have legit experience pre-PhD. Mine was just teaching. :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I interview quite a few people. These folks are either a. socially inept or b. like having some pseudo-power by being the interviewer. Anyone that interviews someone and says "we want someone with XYZ" and the candidate doesn't have it...what the hell are you even doing interviewing them? And if that isn't really a requirement, then why say it? Interviewing is not hard, but damn it some people make it hard.