Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:50 pm

I don't think that they're forgiving loans through this, just putting them off. So I'm not sure why you'd say "Student loans, no." then. Forgiving them/"paying off people's bad choices" wasn't on the table as far as I'm aware...
Trust me, they're not forgiving loans. I'll be paying for my "bad choices" for many more years.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:58 pm

People seem to hate on SJW, but the second somebody prioritizes one issue above the other they're considered hypocrites.
Exactly. We want everyone to react consistently across the board on these issues. If they don’t, they shouldn’t be listened to and their opinion is invalid. There is always more that can be focused on, so it’s an impossible standard to meet.
I agree with you for the most part. Where I see the difference though on this is the NBA is directly benefitting from this social injustice.
There cause is Black Live Matter now. Why don't you take up the China issue.

Because there isn't much a schlub like nan can do about it other than discuss it on the internet.
We're talking literal real life slavery and child labor and the millionaires on top of billionaires who's lives wouldn't change one bit if they stopped profiting off the government that practices slavery can't bring themselves to even mention that it's bad.

This goes beyond me standing against it yet still using a phone made in China. It's people directly profiting from it who actually have the power to, at the very least, say something. Isn't "bringing awareness" all the rage now? Which is why people don't just let sanctimonious turds like Kerr and Popovich slide when they have an opinion on absolutely everything except when it comes to this, they're suddenly not the smartest guy in the room any longer. Cowards.
this is a great post, imo.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:07 pm

"do you think that the government should allow protests?"

What the **** kind of question is that?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:21 pm

:lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:40 pm

wait what

anyone with a student loan made a bad choice?

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 pm

wait what

anyone with a student loan made a bad choice?
Yes. Do better.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 pm

I don't think that they're forgiving loans through this, just putting them off. So I'm not sure why you'd say "Student loans, no." then. Forgiving them/"paying off people's bad choices" wasn't on the table as far as I'm aware...
Yeah, if it's just delaying payment with no interest, etc, I'm good with that.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:54 pm

Vanity Fair reported on Thursday that Kushner’s team ultimately decided to thrust the responsibility of handling the testing shortage crisis upon individual states for political reasons in April, as blue states like New York bore the brunt of the pandemic at the time.

“The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” a public health expert who was in contact with the White House COVID-19 task force told Vanity Fair.

Kushner, who was “ultimately the decision maker,” according to the expert, decided to nix the plan altogether in the end and Trump went on to publicly blame the testing shortage on governors while denying any responsibility for the disaster.
This guy really makes it hard to suppress violent thoughts.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:57 pm

5AF's favorite republican back at it...

I mostly just like the very very end of the clip and the bewilderment on the old dude's face.
Jim Jordan really is a wiener.
There are too many people who probably think that's a fine performance on his part.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:58 pm

:lol:
That’s pretty damn funny

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:59 pm

Vanity Fair reported on Thursday that Kushner’s team ultimately decided to thrust the responsibility of handling the testing shortage crisis upon individual states for political reasons in April, as blue states like New York bore the brunt of the pandemic at the time.

“The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” a public health expert who was in contact with the White House COVID-19 task force told Vanity Fair.

Kushner, who was “ultimately the decision maker,” according to the expert, decided to nix the plan altogether in the end and Trump went on to publicly blame the testing shortage on governors while denying any responsibility for the disaster.
lol, we see lots of sheeple parroting this WH talking point.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:27 pm

lol, we see lots of sheeple parroting this WH talking point.
You know it is possible to believe the federal government **** Ed up and believe that certain states also royally **** Ed up as well.

Two in particular.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:53 pm

Good read.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:26 pm

Wokesters discover the NHL is too white.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:36 pm

Wokesters discover the NHL is too white.

Oh FFS this is ridiculous

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm

So why isn't the NBA "too black"?

Come on man.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:47 pm

Clearly the NFL and NBA need to quit hoarding all the blacks and send some to the NHL so things balance out.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 pm

I came to hockey as a pretty much full grown human, so all my equipment was basically one-time purchases, and only replaced after years of wear or malfunction. When I started teaching little kids how to skate and play the game, it really drove home how prohibitively expensive the sport is if you have to replenish a full kit - or even just decent skates - every six or seven months for a few years in a row.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Speaking of, I just stumbled up the "#kneel4hockey because they wont" campaign going around this afternoon. A bunch of geeks posting photos of them kneeling in their jerseys because,and you arent going to believe this, but every statement and gesture during the anthems so far...isnt enough. I see a big argument is the nocera theory. Eric Trump retweeting them standing arm and arm during the anthems means the players must reevaluate their morals and the way they show support.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:08 pm

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:12 pm

So why isn't the NBA "too black"?

Come on man.

Because, at the college level, which is the professional feeder, it's about 50/50 black v non-black (white players make up about 36%).

The opportunity is there for both white and black basketball players to make it to the NBA if they have the skill to make it.

At nearly all levels, hockey is predominantly white.

Here's a pretty good article: https://hockey-graphs.com/2020/07/22/ra ... ssion=true
Last edited by MR25 on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:24 pm

That person has 1400 followers. Why does anybody give a ****?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 pm

That person has 1400 followers. Why does anybody give a ****?
On a side note, have you ever noticed the most obnoxious people on Twitter are the ones that use all caps a lot? They also tend to use phrases similar to the following:

"x is the best thing ever and if you don't agree I will PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE". It tends to be mostly the female persuasion but not always.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm

Were you born with your foot in your mouth

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:47 pm

Whether or not there's an election, Trump's term will at at noon on January 20, 2021. (The issue I've always had, and the recent actions in Portland have not assuaged this concern, is not that Trump might try to hold on past his sell-by date but rather what others in positions of power would do to facilitate that.) The problem then becomes that, absent an election, all 435 members of the House would also be out of office effective January 3, 2021 when the 117th Congress begins. There are 23 GOP Senate seats in the 2020 cycle, and 12 Democratic seats.... which would leave a Senate split 33 Democrats (+2 Independents who caucus with the Dems), 30 Republicans.

There is nothing in the Constitution that specifically contemplates this scenario, but the most compelling interpretation (to me, at least) is that the regular line-of-succession would be followed, so were it to come to pass that there is no election in November, there would be no Speaker of the House, then the president pro tempore of the Senate would be the 46th President of the United States. Historically, this is held by the senior-most member of the majority party in the body, which would mean "President Patrick Leahy". But that's by tradition, not rule or law, so there isn't anything that would prevent a Democratic majority in the Senate from naming, say, Sherrod Brown or Bernie to the role, who would then become POTUS.

Neat.

Which is purely hypothetical, since the President doesn't have the ability to postpone the election, this exercise ignores state-by-state provisions regarding gubernatorial appointments to fill Congressional vacancies, and also does not consider quorum requirements and procedures.

But still, fun thought exercise.