home theater, cord cutting, video streaming, a/v tech, and more!

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:27 am

National games are blacked out. You can use a cheap VPN to get around all of this, however.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Yeah, the VPN route worked well for my desktop PC, not so much for my smart TV/PS3/Chromecast setup.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:05 pm

Yeah, the VPN route worked well for my desktop PC, not so much for my smart TV/PS3/Chromecast setup.
Get a better router which can act as a VPN client for your entire home network and you solve that problem.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:15 pm

So you techs out there.

I have yondertv and updated my DNS on my router to get around the blackouts for NHL.tv. Then about 2 months ago, noticed that Disney plus didn't work when I had that DNS code for yonder tv on (I have to do it on my router because I have roku, and they do not allow custom DNS).

But due to COVID and the pause in NHL, I just put it back to the default. But then I got MLB.tv and it wasn't working. Contacted yonder and they said that they have engineers working on it because MLB.tv switched backchannel something? And their DNS doesn't work anymore. And Disney plus uses the same things as MLB.tv.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I can't watch the buccos (which is fine), but I have to change my DNS everytime going forward I want to watch the Pens on NHL.tv.

What drives this? Is Yonder TV going to be able to find a fix? Or are the streaming apps getting smarter and services like yonder will be obsolete going forward.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:18 pm

So you techs out there.

I have yondertv and updated my DNS on my router to get around the blackouts for NHL.tv. Then about 2 months ago, noticed that Disney plus didn't work when I had that DNS code for yonder tv on (I have to do it on my router because I have roku, and they do not allow custom DNS).

But due to COVID and the pause in NHL, I just put it back to the default. But then I got MLB.tv and it wasn't working. Contacted yonder and they said that they have engineers working on it because MLB.tv switched backchannel something? And their DNS doesn't work anymore. And Disney plus uses the same things as MLB.tv.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I can't watch the buccos (which is fine), but I have to change my DNS everytime going forward I want to watch the Pens on NHL.tv.

What drives this? Is Yonder TV going to be able to find a fix? Or are the streaming apps getting smarter and services like yonder will be obsolete going forward.
So I had the same issue. Yonder prevented me from watching ESPN+ so I had to change to DNS to retrieve automatically when I used that and switched to the manual address when I watched hockey. I just switched from yonder to SurfShark and it is much better. You can download it as an app (hoping you have a FireStick and not Roku) and just toggle it on and off from there. Very simple

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:48 pm

So I had the same issue. Yonder prevented me from watching ESPN+ so I had to change to DNS to retrieve automatically when I used that and switched to the manual address when I watched hockey. I just switched from yonder to SurfShark and it is much better. You can download it as an app (hoping you have a FireStick and not Roku) and just toggle it on and off from there. Very simple
No, I have like 4 rokus for my TVs. I might just by a firestick and move it from TV to TV when I want to watch NHL.tv and download that SurfShark and get rid of Yondertv when my sub expires in October.

Would that be doable? Or can't I have the NHL.tv app on both my rokus and firestick?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:53 pm

surfshark just doesn't have an app on roku is why i said that

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:53 pm

but yea that would seem to be a good solution

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:57 pm

but yea that would seem to be a good solution
Thanks. I think I'm going to go that route. My understanding too is that Firestick also allows you to change the DNS/VPN directly on the device unlike Roku which makes you change it on the modum.

So if I do end up sticking with Yondertv, I can use their DNS on the Firestick and just plug it into the TV I want to watch hockey on going forward w/o affecting Disney plus, etc on the other TVs. My kids are always on Disney plus if they are watching TV.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:30 pm

Snagged a "One For All" remote from Walmart today. It's pretty amazing, and only $16. Controls my Apple TV, Roku, and TV all in one.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Get a better router which can act as a VPN client for your entire home network and you solve that problem.
Yeah, I have two of the ASUS routers you recommended here. I didn't have them when I had NHL.tv though.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 pm

I really need to setup some sort of affiliate link to profit off my recommendations.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:32 am

So, I think yonder.tv fixed their issues with MLB.tv and Disney. Everything is working again and I'm getting around the blackouts. All is good in the NAN household, except it is now allowing me to watch a shitty team.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Oh, so NHL.tv works too, then?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Does the PS4 MLB app still allow you to listen to the radio feed while watching the TV feed? I really liked that feature, and may be mandatory if McKenry does more games.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Oh, so NHL.tv works too, then?
Yes. It's working for me as well. Making me watch 2 shitty teams.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:39 pm

I put a projector and a 120" screen on my deck under the natural vine canopy (which stays pretty dark and allows for video to come through pretty early in the evening). Hooked my old Roku to the projector (you can run a 3.5mm audio jack from the remote to a soundbar)and watch cable through Xfinity beta app. Besides the pens doing their best to ruin my experience, it's been pretty awesome being outside roughly from 8am to midnight every night.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 am

My vizio m series i bought 5 years ago is developing Three largeish dark rectangles in the upper left quadrant. Was looking for new TVs and really don’t understand what anything is now related to televisions. Looking for 65-70”. Plz help

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:35 am

My vizio m series i bought 5 years ago is developing Three largeish dark rectangles in the upper left quadrant. Was looking for new TVs and really don’t understand what anything is now related to televisions. Looking for 65-70”. Plz help
Your first stop should be here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/recommendation

OLEDs are the latest technology, but I wouldn't buy one if you watch a lot of TV that has a watermark in the same location, as they're prone to burn in. I have a Sony X900F, and my father just bought a Sony X950G, and I'd recommend either one, generally speaking. That could change depending on your setup (what does the rest of your home theater look like? components? source/1080/4k?).

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:55 am

very minimal set up - just have sound bar, ps4, apple tv and cable box hooked up. when we get our flooring replaced i am going to get some electrical outlets installed for sonos but other than that minimal set up

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:47 am

I just bought a Hisense 65" (H8G model -- https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8g) for our living room after doing some research. Happy with it so far, and the picture is comparable to the Sony's from what I researched on rtings.

It was like 699$ on sale when I bought it.

I have TCL 6 series in our bedroom and for being a budget friendly tv it also has a great picture.

If money were no option I'd have Sony's all over the house, but the big money is reserved for the mancave downstairs, and the other rooms get more budget friendly options. The good news is if you do your research the budget friendly options can still give you really good picture for the price.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 am

For me, another huge piece of the decision is the Smart OS used. Sony's is far superior to both Samsung and Vizio, IMO, so if I wanted to use both Netflix and Prime, I'm looking at Sony first. It integrated with the TV so much better than most. Apple TV may sway that decision, though.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 am

My Sony is great and I'll probably follow with another, but really can't go wrong with the Vizio, TCL, Hisense higher models. They have a lot of bang for your buck. I have a TCL for the bedroom and it's been very nice. I'll definitely take a hard look at those when I want to upgrade, especially when we are getting into prices for 75" and above

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 am

For me, another huge piece of the decision is the Smart OS used. Sony's is far superior to both Samsung and Vizio, IMO, so if I wanted to use both Netflix and Prime, I'm looking at Sony first. It integrated with the TV so much better than most. Apple TV may sway that decision, though.
I like both the TCL (roku interface), and the Hisense (it's Android OS). The Alexa integration on the Hisense is nice too.

I hated the samsung OS for smart tv's. That one is now in our 3rd bedroom and I'm glad to never touch that again. I hooked up a fire stick to it just because I hated the built in smart tv functions.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:08 am

I use a Fire stick on all my TVs by default. So much easier than worrying about smart TV OS's. The only time it bites me in the ass is when they get into pissing matches with people like HBO Max. On the rare occasion I want the full HBO Max experience I use the PS4.