Job and General Employment Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:45 pm

I’ve seen people fired in all different ways. Including them canning a dude while he ate a sub at this desk. The half eaten thing sat there for like three days.

This method is pretty savage.
Last edited by meow on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Surprise, you're fired!

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:23 pm

Fantastic from an IT Security perspective though.
That was my only thing...I was trying to think, "how could they possibly spin this" and that was the best I could do...this group isn't smart enough to think of that legitimately though...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:25 pm

If I'm asked to come to the office with all my work equipment I think I know what's about to happen.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Sounds like a treatment for Office Space 2.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:27 pm

If I'm asked to come to the office with all my work equipment I think I know what's about to happen.
"coach wants to se you. bring your playbook"

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Sure. But that was only one person. These six were just pumped and dumped...I'm just glad my fingerprints aren't on this. I hate the idea of being attached to something so trashy............during work hours.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 pm

These six were just pumped and dumped
In English, what does that mean?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:13 pm

mikey had sex with them

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 pm

Best firing I ever saw was they met the guy at the door with all his stuff after lunch on his 3rd day. I was coming back from lunch and HR opened the door for me as I was about to punch in my code. I thought “huh... nice guy.” In hindsight he was just waiting for the other dude to show up. It was also raining, so that had to suck too.

Found out later that he didn’t disclose some legal stuff that somehow slipped through the background checks but was easily google-able.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 pm

mikey had sex with them
:lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 pm

The six were not asked to come in to have rust-proofing and undercoating applied to their computer equipment...they just flipped the switch on them...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:03 pm

The six were not asked to come in to have rust-proofing and undercoating applied to their computer equipment...they just flipped the switch on them...
They shut the equipment down remotely?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:31 pm

I’ve seen people fired in all different ways. Including them canning a dude while he ate a sub at this desk. The half eaten thing sat there for like three days.

This method is pretty savage.
My wife's old boss got it this way. Apparently it was harassment related.

They fired her a few weeks later for poor performance. 3 months into the job.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 pm

They shut the equipment down remotely?
They disabled their logins to all of our various systems. So it just seemed like their passwords didn't work anymore, but...*80's finger gun* they were fired *wink*

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:43 pm

My company seems to be doing very well these days, and for that I am thankful

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 am

I hate applying for internal promotions. It just feels so weird to me haha

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am

I just went through that whole process. I was advised by HR not to tell my then current boss. I told him immediately. I wasn't about to feel like I was doing something shaddy because I was trying to better myself. There's nothing personal about it, nothing that I didn't like about my previous job. I wanted more opportunity and more money. My (former) boss totally understood and supported me throughout the process.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:16 am

I think we've discussed this a while back, but I'm not a fan of posting promotions and forcing interviews, when the job was created solely for a promotion of a specific person. It used to be that you would just be promoted, but nowadays, you have to interview for the promotion, and your boss has to allow internal and external candidates to interview, as well. I always felt bad knowing that it was a complete waste of time for these people, and disagree with the entire practice.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:24 am

I think we've discussed this a while back, but I'm not a fan of posting promotions and forcing interviews, when the job was created solely for a promotion of a specific person. It used to be that you would just be promoted, but nowadays, you have to interview for the promotion, and your boss has to allow internal and external candidates to interview, as well. I always felt bad knowing that it was a complete waste of time for these people, and disagree with the entire practice.
This is exactly what happened with me. I was approached by the director of the department, the job description was being written and tailored to my skills, and I was told that it was mine if I wanted it. HR made us go through all the hoops, made them post the job publicly both internal and external, and interview other candidates. I even had co-workers approach me asking if I've seen the listing because it seemed "right up my alley." I ended up having to go through three interviews for a job that was created for me. On the plus side, it was the only job interview in my life where I wasn't nervous.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 am

This is exactly what happened with me. I was approached by the director of the department, the job description was being written and tailored to my skills, and I was told that it was mine if I wanted it. HR made us go through all the hoops, made them post the job publicly both internal and external, and interview other candidates. I even had co-workers approach me asking if I've seen the listing because it seemed "right up my alley." I ended up having to go through three interviews for a job that was created for me. On the plus side, it was the only job interview in my life where I wasn't nervous.
The same happened to my wife earlier this year or late last year, I already forget when. She turned the job down because they were going to take her work from home days away. Many, many months later the position still isn't filled because nobody meets the requirements they listed, as it was based off her resume. Dolts.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:09 pm

As a result of the BLM movement, my wife’s work is now giving everyone MLK Jr. Day off.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm

As a result of the BLM movement, my wife’s work is now giving everyone MLK Jr. Day off.
It's bad for your rep not too.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:15 pm

I just went through that whole process. I was advised by HR not to tell my then current boss. I told him immediately. I wasn't about to feel like I was doing something shaddy because I was trying to better myself. There's nothing personal about it, nothing that I didn't like about my previous job. I wanted more opportunity and more money. My (former) boss totally understood and supported me throughout the process.
This is where I'm at now. I hate my current role. Nothing bad to say about my boss, the role just isn't what I thought it'd be when I took it last September (and I was trying to get away from a bad boss).

We start our FY21 development planning next week and I'm going to start planting the seed that I'm looking for something different.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:21 pm

Relieved to report that I'm keeping my job and won't have to move so I got my perfect-world scenario.