Outdoor Activities

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am

I've never done the stars at cherry springs but I've fished in those parts. if you get the time, drive down to Hammersley wild area. Just an awesome place.
My brother spent the weekend here and loved it. We are staying in a cabin around coudersport for a few days. Our plan is to check out cherry springs park for stars, but we wanted to go to the pa grand canyon. Is there a good way to drive through this for views? From what I can tell, looks like Leonard Harrison State Park and Barbour Rock overlook are the places to check out for views. Anyone know any other specific spots to check out?
If you go south of there, check out Hyner View, off 120 between Renovo and Lock Haven. Take your hang glider.

Uncovering PA is a pretty decent resource for different places to check out. www.uncoveringPA.com
Perfect, I think we'll hit this up on the drive in and check out the other views the next day

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:52 am

Much thanks everyone. I think we'll do Hyner side and work our way up 44 to coudersport on way in and then venture over to Colton/Barbour Rock/Leonard Harrison next day

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:59 am

AMERICA
f yea

Ad@m

Outdoor Activities

Postby Ad@m » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:44 am

Have any of you guys hiked the Thousand Steps Trail?

http://trailvistas.com/trail/thousand-steps/

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

Not yet, it's on our schedule for fall

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Not yet, it's on our schedule for fall
Going to Juniata College and growing up in Altoona, I have done this hike many times.

It is an absolutely beautiful view of the Juniata River valley. The steps themselves are actually a part of the Standing Stone Trail, an 80 mile roughly north/south trail that is supposed to be phenomenal. Very active community too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1448906822007403

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:03 pm

My wife is taking the kids up to her parents in New York for the weekend. I think I am going to wake up at the crack of dawn Saturday and do this with our dog:

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/pulpitrock-pinnacle.htm

It will officially be my first mile on the Appalachian Trail.

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm

My wife is taking the kids up to her parents in New York for the weekend. I think I am going to wake up at the crack of dawn Saturday and do this with our dog:

Looks nice, might see some Rattlers

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:17 pm

That's my one hesitation...with all of the rock scrambling, that does make me nervous. More so for my dog than me, although all the reviews say it is a great place to bring the pup.

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Just got back from Hocking Hills in Ohio

Myth: Ohio is completely flat.

Some really neat caves and gorges in the park. If it wasn’t the middle of hell on earth, there are apparently plenty of waterfalls as well. If we didn’t have 3 little ones, would have had a chance to explore some of the longer trails.

No chance for cell service or WiFi so it was really nice to disconnect from all the madness for a few days

MrKennethTKangaroo

Outdoor Activities

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:22 pm

I only spent about a half a day at hocking hills but would definitely go back

Very cool area geographically. If you look at a map w/ terrain, it stays hilly (like west virginia hilly not pittsburgh hilly) in a stretch from like chilicothe up to a few miles north of stueubenville (the burb of the burgh). canton is on that line between hills/plains too. its kind of cool

robbiestoupe

Outdoor Activities

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:51 pm

What’s even more amazing is that the glaciers didn’t reach the area so the lakes and hills were all formed by different means.

Hocking hills may be a regular occurrence for this family. Not much around there beyond the park but that doesn’t bother me

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:15 pm

No rattlers! Great hike this morning. 8.5 mile loop, about six of which were on the AT. Unfortunately it was foggy up at the Pinnacle but still beautiful. My 8 year old doodle did great. Everything I read said that it was about a 4.5 hour hike, but we were back in a little over 3 hours, even with stopping at both vistas for 5 or 10 minutes.

Glad I got there at dawn.... Parking was insane when I left.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:08 pm

Not on Garmin Connect? Never happened.

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:13 am

Not on Garmin Connect? Never happened.
:lol:

I'm starting to get annoyed now. I was excited to check out my elevation and stats from the hike. It was 20,000 steps which is crazy.

Beveridge

Outdoor Activities

Postby Beveridge » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Did your doodle kill any wild life babies?

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:44 am

Pa grand canyon was incredible. Cherry springs was mind blowing. We made reservations to go back up in the fall already.

Here's a couple night sky pics I got, you can see neowise on the last one

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:18 am

@RonnieFranchise

Hyner was breathtaking, there was a paraglider there ready to go, but wind conditions went bad as he was getting ready to go and scrapped the jump. Thanks for the heads up on this place, we'll make it part of our first stop going forward anytime we are up there now.

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:16 pm

That's awesome @eddysnake!! Bucket list item is for me to travel up to Cherry Springs in the late fall or winter when the sky is cold and as clear as it gets.

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:08 pm

That's awesome @eddysnake!! Bucket list item is for me to travel up to Cherry Springs in the late fall or winter when the sky is cold and as clear as it gets.
Yep, it was an incredible experience. We just booked an October stay at a lodge right next to cherry springs with 8 acres so we can enjoy the last of the milky way and foliage from our own place. There was probably close to 100 people there on Tuesday night. It was marvelous.

RonnieFranchise

Outdoor Activities

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:11 pm

Awesome @eddysnake glad you liked it! One of my favorite places from when I was a kid.

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:25 pm

Hiked the Grove Run Trail at Linn Run for the first time today. Fantastic weather. 4 mile loop, took us about 2.25hrs on account of the 800ft ascent and stream crossings.

Great day. Looking forward to going back and checking out Fish Run and Quarry Trail soon.

shafnutz05

Outdoor Activities

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:42 am

Waking up at 530 tomorrow AM to take my daughter up to the ST to do the Pinnacle/Pulpit Rock loop. She's probably a little young for it, but the good news is that the first two miles are by far the worst.

I blasted through this hike when I did it with the dog (averaged close to 3 mph, even with lengthy stops at both of the vistas) so already mentally preparing myself for a much more leisurely pace tomorrow :lol:

eddy

Outdoor Activities

Postby eddy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:28 am

Waking up at 530 tomorrow AM to take my daughter up to the ST to do the Pinnacle/Pulpit Rock loop. She's probably a little young for it, but the good news is that the first two miles are by far the worst.

I blasted through this hike when I did it with the dog (averaged close to 3 mph, even with lengthy stops at both of the vistas) so already mentally preparing myself for a much more leisurely pace tomorrow :lol:

What app do you use to record this? Hope you had a nice hike, beautiful morning here out in western pa

dodint

Outdoor Activities

Postby dodint » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:45 am

Garmin Connect, I believe.