Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Check the Road America track map, "turns" 2 & 4 would like you to step outside.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm

:lol:

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Renault has filed a protest against Racing Point. It looks like the gist of the protest is that the 2020 Racing Points are using parts, including brake ducts, that come straight from the 2019 Mercedes car, and while it is legal to buy some parts like engines and transmissions from a competitor, brake parts aren't on that list. A lot of people have noticed that the new Racing Points look a heck of a lot like the Mercedes cars.

https://racer.com/2020/07/12/renault-pr ... impounded/

Shoot, I bet over half the field would rather be driving a 2019 Mercedes than their own 2020 car.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 pm

What was the resolution of the Ferrari-Toyota kerfuffle a several years ago? Didn't that revolve around use of Ferrari's IP?

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:20 pm

I don't remember. That was during a period where I really wasn't paying attention to F1. But I want to say I recall in the most recent off season something about the FIA coming to some sort of an agreement with Ferrari about excessive oil consumption. I want to say that other teams had accused Ferrari of coming up with some sort of way for the engine to consume oil for extra power that technically skirted the regulations, which prohibit combusting the oil. After two races it kinda looks like the Ferrari engines might be down on power.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:29 pm

The agreement actually didn't have to do with the oil consumption issue. Ferrari were doing something with fuel injection that couldn't be detected with the sensor pack they were required to run. RBR asked for a sensor that could detect fuel flow during the entire combustion cycle. Shortly after, like that race weekend, Ferrari lost their distinctive straightaway speed.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:20 am

Towed all the way to VIR for my buddy and I to enjoy a Track Night. I got 2 laps in and he got 0.

My brake booster failed coming out of the esses and going into turn 11, the right hander before Oak Tree. I am very lucky to have gotten it slowed down enough not to hit that wall, especially given it had just rained so the grass was wet.

Feeling sorry for myself and gutted for my friend. We have been waiting to do this since I brought him to spectate Runoffs.

I am also going to miss Time Trials at Gingerman this weekend.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 am

Damn, that sucks on so many fronts.
Did you go straight off or start the corner? I know in sim there's a lot of trail breaking there and I'd certifiably **** myself if I had waited that long to brake before the booster went out.
Looks like Runoffs won't be happening for me, but that might free me up for TT Nats so all hope isn't lost.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm up in the air on Nats, but would be pretty happy to see you there. Tyler is going so you can caravan with him if your schedules line up.

It doesn't look so dramatic but you'll see that I was full throttle to the 3 board and carried a lot of the speed through the right-hander to Oak Tree. I didn't take the curb-straddle-line by choice coming onto the straight. Had a hard time stopping in pit lane, too.

I feel very fortunate. We had 45 minutes of soaking rain about an hour prior, so if I had tracked out to the grass I likely would've popped the wall.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:41 pm

After three F1 races, some observations (in order of current team standings):

Mercedes is still the class of the field and will probably run away with both championships. Again.

Red Bull is the best of the rest, but I don't think Verstappen will win unless Mercedes makes mistakes. Albon is looking like he belongs in that second seat. Gasly and Kyvat can't be happy, because I don't think either has a chance at that seat any time soon.

McLaren is showing good pace appears much improved, and I bet they can't wait until they get Mercedes engines for next year. I wonder how fast they would be if they already had Merc engines.

Racing Point is also greatly improved, possibly due to shenanigans with Mercedes parts and designs. Either they got parts and designs from Mercedes, or they just blatantly ripped off the 2019 Mercedes car. Renault's protest will determine that. Can't argue with success, though, and if you're going to crib someone else's designs, the 2019 Mercedes would be a good car to copy. And color me surprised, but Stroll is looking like more than the rich owner's son.

Ferrari is ****. There's a scene in the movie Rush where the car driven by Niki Lauda's future wife Marlene breaks down, and Niki and Marlene get picked up by a couple of crazy tifosi who ask Lauda to drive their car. The owner is all apologetic about his car, saying, "Eets a piece of ****, eet's a dog ****." That is the 2020 Ferrari.

Renault is one again outpaced by their customer team McLaren. This team spends a lot of money to be so meh.

I expected Alphatauri to be faster than this, but they have problems with both pace and reliability. I wasn't expecting them to be great, but I thought they'd be better than this.

Alfa Romeo is a clear backmarker and sure as heck isn't being helped by their Ferrari engines.

Haas also is a clear backmarker and sure as heck isn't being helped by their Ferrari engines. I wonder if Gene Haas will continue to stick around. There was talk that Haas could withdraw if the team had a poor showing in 2020, and it's certainly not been great so far.

Williams is showing a little bit of life, although it's hard to tell if they've gotten faster or the Ferrari-powered teams around them are slower.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 am

I'm having PTSD flashbacks to the years right after Prost left Ferrari, when I was just starting college. This car is s**t, the drivers have a habit of stumbling over each other, there doesn't seem to be any clear idea that they know what's wrong and how to fix it; they are just pure rolling calamity right now.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:49 pm

All four F1 races in the Americas (Canada, USA, Mexico, Brazil) have now been canceled. Instead, there will be races at the Nürburgring, Portimao in Portugal, and Imola (!). Imola is a favorite track of mine, so I'm really happy about that.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Imola should be on the calendar all the time, especially now with the elimination of the Variante Bassa.

As I recall, Portimao was built with the goal of attracting F1. Win?

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:26 pm

I'd never heard of Portimao before, although I see it's pretty a new track.

I wish they bring back the chicane for acqua minerale corner. Weirdly, I really liked it. Imola was my favorite track back in the days of playing Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 pm

The triple apex? That was one of the most reviled corners i(by drivers) n F1 history. I'll give you that, it's a novel take.

Don't know if you ever watched The Grand Tour, but when they tested the Porsche 918, McLaren P1, and the Ferrari the Ferrari head-to-head-to-head it was at Portimao. I think that's where Chris Harris tested those cars, too.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Also, just had an idea..... is there any utility in starting a DRS zone before a corner and carrying it through to the next corner? It would only work (if at all) where a slow corner that precedes an existing DRS zone has a bit of a straight leading in.

Imola: Exit from Aqua Minerale, DRS zone opens up the hill allowing a driver to close ground into the slow Variante Alta chicane, and the low drag zone continues down into Rivazza 1. I'm not a fan if DRS, just looking for other ways to try and make it work.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 pm

I hope it's a better track than Estoril. I remember that one being decidedly meh. Very similar to Spain, which I also don't like.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:54 pm

That town is gorgeous

MR25

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MR25 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:03 pm

I hope it's a better track than Estoril. I remember that one being decidedly meh. Very similar to Spain, which I also don't like.

I remember the first time I came across an Estoril race on YouTube (would've been after 2012) and was confused why the Circuit de Catalunya was being raced under the Portuguese flag.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:09 pm

Also, just had an idea..... is there any utility in starting a DRS zone before a corner and carrying it through to the next corner? It would only work (if at all) where a slow corner that precedes an existing DRS zone has a bit of a straight leading in.

Imola: Exit from Aqua Minerale, DRS zone opens up the hill allowing a driver to close ground into the slow Variante Alta chicane, and the low drag zone continues down into Rivazza 1. I'm not a fan if DRS, just looking for other ways to try and make it work.
I'm thinking DRS is a corner would probably unbalance the car through a loss of rear downforce? Although the resulting oversteer power slides might be neat to watch.

Yes, it was the triple-apex version of the Acqua Minerale. Run downhill to the sequence, thread through the chicane, and then two sweeps up and to the right as you climb the hill. Lovely. It might have sucked in real life, but I sure liked it in a 1996 video game. That game to this day is also why I hate Monaco. I played that game so much, I went to Radio Shack and bought wire and push buttons so that I could mod my Thrustmaster wheel/pedal set to have shift buttons rather than a push/pull gear selector.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:34 am

That town is gorgeous
Have you been to Portugal?? When things are things again, Mrs Tif and I want to do SW Spain and Portugal tour.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:37 am

I'm thinking DRS is a corner would probably unbalance the car through a loss of rear downforce? Although the resulting oversteer power slides might be neat to watch.
It would be the same as now, meaning the wing slot would close under braking but the driver could open it back up on throttle. The idea is downforce is somewhat less critical under braking than in the corners, so it could give drivers an extra push at a run on shorter point-and-squirt tracks.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:52 am

That town is gorgeous
Have you been to Portugal?? When things are things again, Mrs Tif and I want to do SW Spain and Portugal tour.
Nope, just looking at Google.

I had a friend stationed at Rota and said the southern coast is breathtaking all throughout.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:25 pm

I almost took a job in Rota. Went to Wisconsin instead. Hmm.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:36 am

Sergio Perez has the 'Rona. Comforting given Racing Point HQ is effectively at Silverstone.

Guittierez is the heir apparent, but rumor is Hulkenberg may fill in.