Movie Thread

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:13 am

Watched X-Men 2 and well at least it's better than the first one

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:26 am

X-Men and Spider-Man changed the superhero game. I guess you could throw Blade in there too. But yeah, going back with the lens of a modern day comic book movie, they don't hold up as well.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:34 am

I enjoyed nightcrawler in x2, wolverine has some good quips and Famke and Halle are extremely good looking, but these movies are terrible so far.

We talked about rewatching the spider man movies and wish we did that instead of these, they actually have a good story that you get interested in.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am

I don't think X1 & 2 are terrible, they're just a product of their time. Consider that before X1, a superhero movie was Batman & Robin, Spawn, Judge Dredd, Barb Wire, Steel. X2 is a much better film that X1, same as Spider-Man 2 being better than the first Rami movie, but those Rami films show their age as well.

And oddly both X-Men and Spider-Man go to **** in the third film.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am

If you think X2 is bad, don't even bother with The Last stand, or most of the newer Xmen movies (minus First Class). Wolverine is obviously a great standalone film.

I haven't watched them in a long time, but I remember X2 being the best of the first 3 movies, and remember X1 being pretty good too for the time at least.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 am

X-Men has so many missed opportunities.
Original run, kill Cyclopes? You ****. Given X1 and 2 were pretty decent but use the comics for your map, use those exact stories. Don’t bastardize them.
X-Men First Class, what a **** reboot. Really awesome IMO. Great development of Eric as a person and character. You truly understood what drove that man. Kevin Bacon was really good in a what I felt was a surprise role.
If Jennifer Lawrence didn’t become the darling of Hollywood I think they could have kept this franchise on the right path. However studios still haven’t realized that star power no longer drives movies.
Days of Future Past I really liked as well. However they just HAD to shoehorn Wolverine in there instead of again following the comics and building Kitty Pryde. The Apocalypse tease had me hyped.
Then instead of continuing the slow build and character development they jammed the big bad Apocalypse and the Phoenix into the same damn movie. Hey dadholes, Apocalypse is to the X-Men what Thanos is to the Avengers. He’s not a one movie development guy. Further, you already had groundwork for the mutant plague storyline due to establishing future mutants, time travel, and Bishop in the last movie. **** pieces of ****.
Then, oh god then, OMG Game of Thrones! It’s the actress from there! She’s hot and is Jean, we gotta do Phoenix now! Story? Character development? **** that! CGI, special affects, PHOENIX!!! Needs are gonna love it.
I’m not disappointed, you’re disappointed. So much anger.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05 am

I liked first class and days of future and obviously Logan is the standout. Origins wolverine was a steaming pile. First X-Men is also a piece of ****. I guess I didn't mind x2, but man do I hate fire and ice kids. I have no recollection of the 3rd X-Men movie.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05 am

The last X-Men was so damn bad. Apocalypse looked like a sad mental midget Brit.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:13 am

Source of the post I have no recollection of the 3rd X-Men movie.
Perhaps this will help?

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:14 am

Looking at all of these, I don't think I've ever seen Apocalypse and dark Phoenix ones and by the sounds of it, it really is boggling that there are so many bad movies in this series, but they still crank them out.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:18 am

JLaw was and always will be a horrible replacement for Rebecca Romjin as Mystique, as well. She was truly awful in that role.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:19 am

Source of the post I have no recollection of the 3rd X-Men movie.
Perhaps this will help?
Oh no, I forgot it was Frazier. That's not the same Hank on the TV in X2. I don't know why the kids didn't listen to me and just watch the cartoons.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:21 am

JLaw was and always will be a horrible replacement for Rebecca Romjin as Mystique, as well. She was truly awful in that role.
Romjin walking around basically naked in these does indeed help the flow of these

MrKennethTKangaroo

Movie Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 am

I liked first class and days of future and obviously Logan is the standout. Origins wolverine was a steaming pile. First X-Men is also a piece of ****. I guess I didn't mind x2, but man do I hate fire and ice kids. I have no recollection of the 3rd X-Men movie.
Logan was the right movie at the right time with the right actor.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 am

Original run, kill Cyclopes? You ****. Given X1 and 2 were pretty decent but use the comics for your map, use those exact stories. Don’t bastardize them.
X-Men First Class, what a **** reboot. Really awesome IMO. Great development of Eric as a person and character. You truly understood what drove that man. Kevin Bacon was really good in a what I felt was a surprise role.
If Jennifer Lawrence didn’t become the darling of Hollywood I think they could have kept this franchise on the right path. However studios still haven’t realized that star power no longer drives movies.
Days of Future Past I really liked as well. However they just HAD to shoehorn Wolverine in there instead of again following the comics and building Kitty Pryde. The Apocalypse tease had me hyped.
Then instead of continuing the slow build and character development they jammed the big bad Apocalypse and the Phoenix into the same damn movie. Hey dadholes, Apocalypse is to the X-Men what Thanos is to the Avengers. He’s not a one movie development guy. Further, you already had groundwork for the mutant plague storyline due to establishing future mutants, time travel, and Bishop in the last movie. **** pieces of ****.
Then, oh god then, OMG Game of Thrones! It’s the actress from there! She’s hot and is Jean, we gotta do Phoenix now! Story? Character development? **** that! CGI, special affects, PHOENIX!!! Needs are gonna love it.

I was a big comic book kid and was a collector during the high times of the Mutant Massacre up though just before Wolverine #50. (I has stopped for 6 or so months but a friend gave me a copy of #50)

X-Men films destroyed my expectations of comic book movies. Fox went so far off of the history that they were more of "What if...?" movies than X-Men movies. Then there was the Juggernaut... on of my all time favorite villains... and I stopped expecting anything in the movies to be anything like the books.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:39 am

Even that, Wolverine is 5'2, Jackman is 6'4, 6'3? Something like that. Wolverine is called Wolverine because he is small but ferocious... like a wolverine. His typical nickname was "runt". Jackman's size should be called Grizzly, or something wolf-related, or something like that.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:41 am

Careful what you wish for; you'll end up with Kevin Hart.

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:44 am

Lots of hitting the nail on the head here from Nocera and Pavel Bure. Superman: The Movie established a foundation for comic book/superhero movies that was severely damaged by Superman 3, revived and built upon by Batman, taken to a weird place by Batman Returns, and severely damaged again by Batman Forever. It's only five years between Batman Forever and X-Men, but in this era of record breaking superhero movies every couple of months, imagine going five years with nothing but dogshit that failed miserably at the box office.

Spider-Man rightly gets much of the credit for reviving superhero movies as a business endeavor due to it's status as the first superhero movie to top the box office since Batman in 1989 and the 13 years between Batman and Spider-Man the only superhero movies to place in the top ten worldwide box office were Batman Returns at 6 in 1992, Batman Forever at 5 in 1995, and X-Men at 9 in 2000; but it was X-Men, which was released 6 months before Spider-Man started filming, that laid the groundwork. It, much like the Raimi Spider-Man movies, seems dated as **** now, but it was a good superhero movie that was excellently reviewed despite re-casting it's breakout star after filming began due to Dougray Scott's MI2 filming issues (RIP career) and having a budget ($75MM) that was a fraction of other top ten box office blockbusters in 2000. A well reviewed and profitable superhero movie for the first time since Batman Returns. Now we've got a genre to exploit!

The entire series though is just a collection of missed opportunities and thin storytelling just to make things happen. X2 was considered excellent and was a huge hit but feels dated now. The Last Stand got Ratner'd after Singer left to ruin Superman. Origins was terrible and should have served as a warning for the finals seasons of Game of Thrones. First Class was a good but kind of underwhelming reboot with an excellent cast but underperformed all but X-Men at the box office. The Wolverine was different but not all that good but killed it at the box office, which means the good but not great Days of Future Past gets an extra dose of Wolverine, which I guess is fine because he was always the best part of these movies anyways. Apocalypse was complete **** and I'll never see Dark Phoenix because I stopped caring. In this world of MCU success, it would completely awesome if there was some form of a cohesive X-Men storyline over multiple movies that led to Logan, which is by far the best movie of the bunch, as the culmination but there isn't. Hopefully Disney/Marvel can do better.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:44 am

Even that, Wolverine is 5'2, Jackman is 6'4, 6'3? Something like that. Wolverine is called Wolverine because he is small but ferocious... like a wolverine. His typical nickname was "runt". Jackman's size should be called Grizzly, or something wolf-related, or something like that.
I think we’ve had this very same discussion before? I get not wanting Jackman to play him due to his height, but god damn was he great in that role. Who would you have chosen to play him?

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 am

Careful what you wish for; you'll end up with Kevin Hart.

Yeah, it's in the "universe" so I'll watch it.

There are nearly 30 years of comic stories that I an not familiar with at all, so a lot of plots/stories that mean nothing to me. There are 20 years of movies completely bastardizing the history/plots/stories that I do know.

Depending on the scale of future films, I might watch it in a theater, but I am also fine with watching most at home.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 am

I think we’ve had this very same discussion before? I get not wanting Jackman to play him due to his height, but god damn was he great in that role. Who would you have chosen to play him?
That's where I was going, I'm fine with it now. I am used to nothing in the Fox films sticking to the source material. Who would have think that a musical theater Australian could turn his version of the character into an icon. I'm sure that they could have found a short guy to play the role just fine. But, whatever.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:36 pm

I have not seen Apocalypse, and I only saw Dark Phoenix on a flight back home form Hawaii. It was very very very bad.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:02 pm

I have not seen Apocalypse, and I only saw Dark Phoenix on a flight back home form Hawaii. It was very very very bad.

Even in that... Apocalypse didn't take/absorb other people's powers. He had his own set and that is what he had. But he was a "big bad". Blew that too.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:56 pm

I was a big comic book kid and was a collector during the high times of the Mutant Massacre up though just before Wolverine #50. (I has stopped for 6 or so months but a friend gave me a copy of #50)

X-Men films destroyed my expectations of comic book movies. Fox went so far off of the history that they were more of "What if...?" movies than X-Men movies. Then there was the Juggernaut... on of my all time favorite villains... and I stopped expecting anything in the movies to be anything like the books.
Honestly, Juggernaut was great in Deadpool 2. Why they thought a normal sized guy and Vinny Jones at that would be a good fit is nuts. Also, changing it so his powers are mutant and not mystic was bullshit.

Jim

Movie Thread

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:21 pm

Honestly, Juggernaut was great in Deadpool 2. Why they thought a normal sized guy and Vinny Jones at that would be a good fit is nuts. Also, changing it so his powers are mutant and not mystic was bullshit.

Not looking up the quotes,but...
The best Juggernaut quote in X3: "I'm the Juggernaut dodint!" In a but of a whiny style after not having done anything impressive the entire movie.
The best Juggernaut quote in D2: "I'm going to stick the little guy inside the bigger guy..." followed by the little guy running away.